Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Best battle horse 🐎: Pocketbook Era vs. Kobo Libra 2 (or ?)
Pocketbook Era 9 30.00%
Kobo Libra 2 20 66.67%
Other 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaenor View Post
This isn't really true. Or rather, I can't vouch for Libra 2 specifically, but I got an Era after using Libra H2O for several years, so I've got pretty used to Libra's screen in that model. After switching to Era, I could not see any difference in either the contrast, or the quality, or sharpness in general.
I had the Libra H2O and now have the Libra 2. The screen of the Libra 2 is a lot better. So yes, if the screen of the Era is like that of the Libra H2O, it really is worse than the Libra 2.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 07:12 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got a PocketBook HD 3 with the "old" Carta screen. I don't see a problem with it. I'm more concerned with inconsistent lighting (especially with the "side-lit" eReaders). I've never seen an Era screen (or Libra or Libra 2 screens, for that matter). I'm just going by my Kobo Clara and Pocketbook HD 3 comparison – the HD 3 has a little better contrast and renders fonts nicer. It also handles ePubs better – a lot less empty space at the end of pages. (I usually avoid KePubs.)

I should add, both are good readers, but I mostly use the PocketBook.
My Libra 2 has one of the most consistent, even lightings I've ever seen. IMO Kobo really nailed the screen with that model. Of course there probably are differences between individual devices, as always.

As to the empty spaces in epubs, there are several ways to lose them, but I'm aware you don't like to tinker. To each their own.
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #18
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I had the Libra H2O and now have the Libra 2. The screen of the Libra 2 is a lot better. So yes, if the screen of the Era is like that of the Libra H2O, it really is worse than the Libra 2.
Better in what regard? Like I said, I personally can't see the difference in resolution - every screen above 300 DPI is going to look the same without a magnifier.

As for the contrast or other such thing, I have posted a couple of screenshots - tell me if it's somehow inferior to any other modern reader, cause I just don't see it.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:56 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Better in what regard? Like I said, I personally can't see the difference in resolution - every screen above 300 DPI is going to look the same without a magnifier.

As for the contrast or other such thing, I have posted a couple of screenshots - tell me if it's somehow inferior to any other modern reader, cause I just don't see it.
Better in contrast, sharpness and lighting (tone and evenness). I could see the difference in all three clearly with my naked eye.

As to your screenshots, impossible to say, as a photo isn't the same as seeing something in real life.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Here's a couple of photos of my Era - the resolution of my camera is low, but you can see the contrast and sharpness for yourself. If they aren't good enough for everyday reading, then I don't know what is.
Looks good. I think is the first time someone has actually posted a picture of an Era screen here. Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 10:18 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My Libra 2 has one of the most consistent, even lightings I've ever seen. IMO Kobo really nailed the screen with that model. Of course there probably are differences between individual devices, as always.
That's good to hear. I'm impressed with the lighting on my PocketBook HD 3 but can't vouch for the Era as I've never seen one in person.

Quote:
As to the empty spaces in epubs, there are several ways to lose them, but I'm aware you don't like to tinker. To each their own.
That's kind of an issue with me. I patched my Kobos for a few releases, but firmware updates seem to come in bursts and (lately) there seems to be bugs in some of the updates, so I'm leery of them. If I could tinker once and be done, it would probably be fine. But even with the tinkering the font rendering isn't as nice as the PocketBooks'. I don't like the page per screen numbering scheme of KePubs, so I use ePubs instead and I think ePub support is the "red-headed stepchild" in the Kobo world.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:25 AM   #22
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Looks good. I think is the first time someone has actually posted a picture of an Era screen here. Thanks.
Happy to help! I have been very satisfied with the Era so far.

Sirtel, I will take your word for it, but returning to my original point - both Era and Libra 2 have the same Carta 1200 screen, with the only difference being flush against sunken.

You mentioned before that you changed your mind about purchasing an Era because some users mentioned poor contrast, and it just hasn't been the case for me. The blacks are black, the edges are sharp, the images are contrastive. That's all.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
...and I think ePub support is the "red-headed stepchild" in the Kobo world.
You're right, of course. But then the kepub support isn't what it could be, either (mainly typographically). Kobo should really improve both IMO.

I don't care for either page-numbering scheme, really. I'd like to use custom page numbering I use in Calibre, but that's not possible on Kobos. So I disable everything but the progress bar, and insert the overall page count in the book details for information.

I use kepubs on the Sage and epubs on the Libra.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You mentioned before that you changed your mind about purchasing an Era because some users mentioned poor contrast, and it just hasn't been the case for me. The blacks are black, the edges are sharp, the images are contrastive. That's all.
Taken individually, all modern readers are good enough. I've used more than one device with less-than-stellar contrast (the Oasis 2, the Libra H2O) happily enough for years. Usually you only see the differences when you compare the devices side by side.

The (allegedly) less than excellent screen was not the only reason I didn't buy the Era, though. The lack of the ability to adjust font weight on Pocketbooks is a dealbreaker for me, as my favorite fonts are too thin without some added weight. Both Kobos and Kindles have this feature, even Nooks have it, so I have no idea why Pocketbooks don't. Yes, I could use KOReader or a font that's dark and thick enough by itself, but I don't really want to do either.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #25
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I use kepubs on the Sage and epubs on the Libra.
Why is this?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:33 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only use epub on all my kobos since I discovered I was using kepub by accident. Former Kindle user.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:09 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Why is this?
I like the overall zippiness of kepubs when compared to epubs (I don't enable kerning and ligatures for kepubs, which apparently slows them down some). But word spacing in kepubs (even with the relevant patch enabled) is not as good as in epubs, especially as I disable hyphenation in all my books. So I compromise: I use kepubs on the Sage, where the word spacing is more even due to a larger screen, but epubs on the Libra, where they look noticeably better than kepubs. The books themselves are the same on both.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't find the epubs "slow" on any Kobo. Used Touch C, original H2O, Libra, Libra 2, Sage, Elipsa.

Almost all reading now on Sage. Font such that there are about 21 to 24 lines of text on the screen. Other people I know use a smaller font. I do use a much smaller font on the web browser, Telegram. Viber and Thunderbird.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Sirtel, I will take your word for it, but returning to my original point - both Era and Libra 2 have the same Carta 1200 screen, with the only difference being flush against sunken.
I have a Clara HD (Carta) and a Clara 2 (Carta 1200) and the difference in screen quality is quite noticeable.

The Libra 2 and Era both use the Carta 1200 screen. But the Era looks about the same as the older generation screen (per your earlier post). So then yes, Pocketbook did bungle it. It is mentioned in just about every professional review I've read or watched:

TechRadar:
Quote:
Our biggest complaint is the lack of contrast on the screen. Despite the latest screen tech – which is also used on the 2021 edition of the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Libra 2 – the text on screen appears washed out and not black enough in comparison to its direct competitors.
The eBook Reader:
Quote:
The first thing that stood out about the Pocketbook Era when I sat down to read on it for the first time was the text has a faded, washed out appearance to it, especially compared to other newer devices that use the same Carta 1200 screen like the Kobo Libra 2 and Kindle Paperwhite 5.
PocketBook Era REVIEW: There's just one downside...

Pocketbook Era Screen Review - It's Not Good

Saying all that, I think the Era is a nice reader. If it were cheaper, I'd probably get one. I'm just being honest about the screen.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-23-2023 at 06:03 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:31 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Saying all that, I think the Era is a nice reader. If it were cheaper, I'd probably get one. I'm just being honest about the screen.
But these were early reviews. A lot of eReaders (even ones from Kobo) have had "teething problems." The only actual picture I've seen of an Era has been posted in this thread and it looks good, with high contrast.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-23-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Tags
ereader