Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Best battle horse 🐎: Pocketbook Era vs. Kobo Libra 2 (or ?)
Pocketbook Era 9 30.00%
Kobo Libra 2 20 66.67%
Other 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2023, 04:56 AM   #1
robert
robert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Post Pocketbook Era or Kobo Libra 2 (or ?)

Hi, I didn't post for a while and just re- registered.

My Pocketbook touch HD3 pro is giving up (case broken and the USB worn out, but after several (5?) years of intensive use).

I'm looking for a suitable replacement:
- 6-7 "
- USB-C
- night illumination
- "open" (external bookshops, no Amazon Kindle)
- light and stable (I travel a lot)

I.e. a battle horse 🐎 😎.
I'm loading books through USB, Dropbox or the PB Cloud/app; but I'm technically skilled (Linux user and programmer; hackability would be a plus)

My actual favorites are:

- Pocketbook Era
- Kobo Libra 2
- Other?

I appreciate your advice!
robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Why not the new Pocketbook Verse Pro?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I didn't vote because I haven't owned a Pocketbook. The Libra does appear to meet your needs, but for all I know the PB does too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #4
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I had a Pocketbook Era briefly and didn't like it; the narrow buttons along the side were fussy to find and the screen didn't seem as sharp as I thought it should've been. It sure was pretty, though.

I've never used the Libra and the Era convinced me I don't enjoy the asymmetric reader form factor (I had been wanting to try one for a long time) so I probably never will.

I did use a Pocketbook InkPad 3 for a year or two (buttons across the bottom) and that was fine, a good solid reader. I put KOReader on it and used that instead of the stock reading app.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never used a Pocketbook, but I've read that the Era has a considerably worse screen than the Libra 2. Also the Kobo native software has a lot more options, if that's important to you.

If you use KOReader, that can be installed on both.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never used a Pocketbook, but I've read that the Era has a considerably worse screen than the Libra 2.
Same for me. I think the Pocketbook Era looks interesting. But every review I've seen mentions the quality of the screen being lackluster.

The Libra 2 on the other hand, earns acclaim and seems to be one of the best readers Kobo has put out.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Why not the new Pocketbook Verse Pro?
That would probably be my choice (since I already like the HD 3 a lot, and the Verse Pro appears basically the same reader).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Same for me. I think the Pocketbook Era looks interesting. But every review I've seen mentions the quality of the screen being lackluster.

The Libra 2 on the other hand, earns acclaim and seems to be one of the best readers Kobo has put out.
Yeah. When the Era came out, I considered it for a while. I wanted to try a Pocketbook for the first time, and I'm a fan of the lopsided shape. But several users mentioned the poor contrast, so I changed my mind.

Having used many ereaders over the years (Kindles, Kobos and a Nook), it's also my personal experience that the Libra 2 has one of the best screens ever made. Only the Voyage had the same level of contrast and sharpness, but its frontlight was more uneven. (The Boox Leaf 2 white version is said to be even better than the Libra 2, but I've not seen one in real life).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #9
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
(The Boox Leaf 2 white version is said to be even better than the Libra 2, but I've not seen one in real life).
In terms of sharpness, possibly. On the other hand, the illumination is far from uniform on the white Leaf 2 (at least on my device). In my opinion the screens of the Kobo Libra 2 / Tolino Vision 6 are the best you can find today (whether you like these devices more or less is a different matter).
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #10
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yeah. When the Era came out, I considered it for a while. I wanted to try a Pocketbook for the first time, and I'm a fan of the lopsided shape. But several users mentioned the poor contrast, so I changed my mind.

Having used many ereaders over the years (Kindles, Kobos and a Nook), it's also my personal experience that the Libra 2 has one of the best screens ever made. Only the Voyage had the same level of contrast and sharpness, but its frontlight was more uneven. (The Boox Leaf 2 white version is said to be even better than the Libra 2, but I've not seen one in real life).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
In terms of sharpness, possibly. On the other hand, the illumination is far from uniform on the white Leaf 2 (at least on my device). In my opinion the screens of the Kobo Libra 2 / Tolino Vision 6 are the best you can find today (whether you like these devices more or less is a different matter).
Yes, the sharpness is slightly better on the Leaf 2. The screen is really phenomenal. And personally I haven't had a problem with the frontlight. But I'm also the wrong person to ask as I prefer not using it. I only ever use it at night, with the warm light at very low intensity.

For me the Libra's advantage is ergonomics and not feeling too fragile. I'm always afraid of breaking the Leaf 2 - it doesn't feel very sturdy.

And without any special needs I would recommend the Libra 2. It's easier to use and feels better in the hand. The only disadvantage for me is when reading in other languages (lack of dictionary support, etc.).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:10 AM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
The "Pocketbook Verse Pro" sounds like it'll meet your needs.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:22 PM   #12
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
I've never used a Pocketbook, but I've read that the Era has a considerably worse screen than the Libra 2. Also the Kobo native software has a lot more options, if that's important to you.

If you use KOReader, that can be installed on both.
This isn't really true. Or rather, I can't vouch for Libra 2 specifically, but I got an Era after using Libra H2O for several years, so I've got pretty used to Libra's screen in that model. After switching to Era, I could not see any difference in either the contrast, or the quality, or sharpness in general.

I should add that Era's buttons are miles better than the original Libra's, too. Maybe this changed in Libra 2, but Libra H2O's physical buttons felt downright flimsy in comparison, so if you are a fan of tactile feedback, Era is a perfect ereader for that.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:46 AM   #13
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaenor View Post
This isn't really true. Or rather, I can't vouch for Libra 2 specifically, but I got an Era after using Libra H2O for several years, so I've got pretty used to Libra's screen in that model. After switching to Era, I could not see any difference in either the contrast, or the quality, or sharpness in general.

I should add that Era's buttons are miles better than the original Libra's, too. Maybe this changed in Libra 2, but Libra H2O's physical buttons felt downright flimsy in comparison, so if you are a fan of tactile feedback, Era is a perfect ereader for that.
That kind of proves the point. Many have written here that the screen on the Libra H20 is not particularly good. And in any case it's an old generation of Carta, whereas the Libra 2 and Era use Carta 1200. So unless you noticed a marked improvement in screen quality going to the Era it means that Pocketbook did something wrong.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:58 AM   #14
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
I wouldn't know what a marked improvement would look like - to me, all the screens with 300+ DPI look approximately the same, and the reason to upgrade was always either the build quality or new functions, like touch controls, flush screen, frontlight, or tactile buttons.

I imagine you could find some differences by laying the different readers side by side and comparing the letters under a magnifier, but not with the naked eye.

Here's a couple of photos of my Era - the resolution of my camera is low, but you can see the contrast and sharpness for yourself. If they aren't good enough for everyday reading, then I don't know what is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231023_011815.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	204398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231023_011924.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	204399  

Last edited by Xaenor; 10-23-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:23 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
That kind of proves the point. Many have written here that the screen on the Libra H20 is not particularly good. And in any case it's an old generation of Carta, whereas the Libra 2 and Era use Carta 1200. So unless you noticed a marked improvement in screen quality going to the Era it means that Pocketbook did something wrong.
I've got a PocketBook HD 3 with the "old" Carta screen. I don't see a problem with it. I'm more concerned with inconsistent lighting (especially with the "side-lit" eReaders). I've never seen an Era screen (or Libra or Libra 2 screens, for that matter). I'm just going by my Kobo Clara and Pocketbook HD 3 comparison – the HD 3 has a little better contrast and renders fonts nicer. It also handles ePubs better – a lot less empty space at the end of pages. (I usually avoid KePubs.)

I should add, both are good readers, but I mostly use the PocketBook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader