Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
DapperDave
DapperDave began at the beginning.

Device: Fire Max 11
Fire Max 11 - Kindle reading app opening wrong browser

I installed Google Play services on the device, as I did on all my previous Fires. I made Chrome the default browser. Whenever I click on a hyperlink in any of my apps, it opens Chrome.

Except in the Kindle reading app. When I highlight a word or phrase and select "Web" it opens the Silk browser.

Any ideas?
DapperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
When I did first Web search on my Fire Max 11 (just now) it prompts for browser choice (in my case Firefox or Silk) and offers Just once or Always choice. I chose Always, and the next Web search launches Firefox, as expected.

I don't know how you get it to ask again after selecting a preference. But it seems yours is set to 'Always use Silk'.

Surely there's some way to do it short of Reset to factory settings? Maybe go back into Default apps, select Silk, then set it back to Chrome?

There's also a Reset app button.

Finally if you go into Kindle APP settings there's an Allow App to open supported links. You can choose Ask every time. Maybe that will let you re-select default.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-29-2023 at 05:34 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
DapperDave

Kindle reading app opening wrong browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
When I did first Web search on my Fire Max 11 (just now) it prompts for browser choice (in my case Firefox or Silk) and offers Just once or Always choice. I chose Always, and the next Web search launches Firefox, as expected.

I don't know how you get it to ask again after selecting a preference. But it seems yours is set to 'Always use Silk'.
When I do a web search, it uses Chrome. I'm sure I selected "Always" the first time I was prompted.

Quote:
Surely there's some way to do it short of Reset to factory settings? Maybe go back into Default apps, select Silk, then set it back to Chrome?
I tried that. Reset the browser to Silk, closed and reopened Kindle, changed it back to Chrome. No joy.

Quote:
There's also a Reset app button.
I don't know where that is.

Quote:
Finally if you go into Kindle APP settings there's an Allow App to open supported links. You can choose Ask every time. Maybe that will let you re-select default.
I tried that, but, to be clear, my problem is not with opening embedded links. Those open in Chrome when I click on them in the Kindle reading app. The problem is when I highlight a word or phrase then select Search|Web from the context menu. The search results appear in Silk.

This is a problem that I never encountered on my previous Fire tablets, but I am fully prepared that there is user error at fault.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Reset app preferences button is in Settings - Apps & Notifications - bottom of APPS section.

Yes I assumed it was initiated after selecting and choosing SEARCH from context menu.

Another idea: install another browser (eg Firefox) set it to default and see if you get prompt to show up.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
DapperDave

Quote:
Another idea: install another browser (eg Firefox) set it to default and see if you get prompt to show up.
That was an interesting suggestion. I installed Firefox and made it my default browser. The kindle app automatically opened Firefox when I highlight text and select Search|Web. It didn't ask whether I wanted to use Silk, Firefox, or Chrome.

So I uninstalled Firefox and made Chrome my default browser again. The app went back to opening Silk.

Then I uninstalled Chrome, reinstalled it, made it the default browser, and...
The app still opens Silk! No choice is offered.

One related thing that has worked correctly since I bought this device: When I highlight text and from the Wikipedia box select "Go to Wikipedia" it initially gave me a choice of using Chrome or the Wikipedia app. Since I chose Always Chrome, it does always open Wikipedia in Chrome from there.
Advert
Old 07-30-2023, 04:50 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDave View Post
That was an interesting suggestion. I installed Firefox and made it my default browser. The kindle app automatically opened Firefox when I highlight text and select Search|Web. It didn't ask whether I wanted to use Silk, Firefox, or Chrome.

So I uninstalled Firefox and made Chrome my default browser again. The app went back to opening Silk.

Then I uninstalled Chrome, reinstalled it, made it the default browser, and...
The app still opens Silk! No choice is offered.

One related thing that has worked correctly since I bought this device: When I highlight text and from the Wikipedia box select "Go to Wikipedia" it initially gave me a choice of using Chrome or the Wikipedia app. Since I chose Always Chrome, it does always open Wikipedia in Chrome from there.
May be a permissions issue. Long press Chrome icon, choose App info and enable some Permissions, e.g. Contacts seems to be one it has requested in the past.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-30-2023 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
DapperDave

Quote:
May be a permissions issue. Long press Chrome icon, choose App info and enable some Permissions, e.g. Contacts seems to be one it has requested in the past.
I enabled all permissions. No impact.

Sigh...
Old 07-31-2023, 04:32 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Folks on https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/fire-general.4717/ might have some helpful ideas or solutions.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
DapperDave

Thanks. I'll give it a try.