Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #1
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
SSH over USB for roofed Glowlight Plus?

Hello wizards,
I recently managed to set up a kindle with an ssh client and terminal so that I could ssh into a raspi (raspi 400 for the curious, the one with the integrated keeb) over a usb network- no phone needed for a Wi-Fi hub. I’d like to do something similar with the nook glowlight plus, but am new to android development. What should I look for in order to emulate the kindleberry? In short i just need ssh or tty client and hopefully the ability to use tethered networking. My Google fu is not quite strong enough.

Thank you!

Notes:
My machine is a glowlight plus (BNRV510) and I rooted it with the guide herehttps://github.com/wmahfoudh/rooting-nook-glowlight
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
You could install adbd on the RPi and adb on the Glow.
But since you're talking about the 400 and not a headless RPi you could just do things the other way around also.
In either case, you can use TCP port forwarding over ADB.
Why do you want to USB ssh into something with a keyboard right there?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
jollyblondgiant

thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check those out.
the rpi is headless and the idea is that I want to use the 400's integrated keyboard to type but use the e-ink reader as a display. to do that, I use the e-ink reader to ssh into a headless rpi (either the 4 with a usb keeb or the 400 with its integrated keeb). I like to use usb-tethered networking so I don't have to rely on a middleman (though it is useful to keep it as an option to save work to the cloud on the go).
once connected, it is also possible to type into the rpi with the display's touchscreen, but that's no fun. I prefer to use a custom mechanical keyboard or the 400's integrated chiclets. I could just use a GUI raspian but I'd need an e-ink display that can handle doing a whole desktop, but to use my glowlight plus I just need to ssh into the rpi and run screen.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I use an old Nook NST as a status/clock/weather display.
I run ADB on a RPi to the NST and use a forwarded TCP connection.
I run a daemon on the RPi which sends text/graphics/child id over TCP to an app running on the NST.
The layout is using the standard Android layout XML.
I could have just done the composition on the RPi and shot a whole frame over.
Eh, it works just fine and the NST should be doing something.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
jollyblondgiant

You’re right, that old NST shouldn’t be bumming around, rent free!
Advert