Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #121
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
With the new videos, I can see that the back of the lighted cover is flat (some pictures led me to believe otherwise). That's a good thing.
Another good thing is that the device is available right after the announcement, no need to pre-order.

Despite that, I think I'll pass mostly because of the lesser language support compared to Kobo (although the included dictionaries are better).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #122
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Another on the ignore list. CLICK!! Have fun with your reader.
Did you take a wrong turn on your way to kindergarten?
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #123
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
That' a rather childish and silly behaviour.
I'm not here to argue with anyone or pass barbs. I'm here to get information. If you call that childish, so be it. I call it being prudent.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #124
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Back to the topic. Did you recognize there is a new feature hyphenation. I think is a really this new feature.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #125
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Thanks for this link and the pics you pulled out. Surprised no one has commented yet on the reduced contrast of the T3 from the T2, shown in the pic and in the table in the review (my high school German was enough to read the table heading).

My guess is that it might just be a sample-to-sample difference, but it's concerning for those of us who highly value a lighter background and higher contrast.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #126
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks for this link and the pics you pulled out. Surprised no one has commented yet on the reduced contrast of the T3 from the T2, shown in the pic and in the table in the review (my high school German was enough to read the table heading).

My guess is that it might just be a sample-to-sample difference, but it's concerning for those of us who highly value a lighter background and higher contrast.
No, it's not a sample effect; it is the result of smaller pixels.
That same effect is what led to the complaints about the iRiver reader.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2356...hd_review.html

The smaller pixels make the text sharper by slightly reducing the black surface area of the characters. That makes the text look lighter. The same thing happened with PC displays in the migration from VGA to XGA. A lot of folks resorted to slightly darker fonts like New Century Schoolbook to make up the difference.

Sounds like Sony didn't hand tweak the fonts like the eee-vile ones do.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-06-2013 at 12:50 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #127
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
Due to recent posting behavior between certain members it seems we need to post a reminder about posting to our forum.

We are a privately owned, international forum and we have General Posting Guidelines we expect members to respect when posting on our site. Now would be a good time to review them.

Continued disrespect of our guidelines may result in loss of posting privileges to our forum.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #128
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post

Thanks for the link and photos. It's the darker background that bothers me the most. It's not that I wanted the front light to be able to read in the dark, just to improve the contrast so it is comparable with the paper books on my bookshelf.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #129
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Perhaps instead of calling people's opinions stupid you could explain why the new T3 is superior to other readers. Just what exactly makes it superior? Because when it comes to specs it's certainly not superior. It hasn't even been released yet so I'm doubting you've had a chance to try out the software so it's impossible for you to know whether it's superior in that respect or not.
While not a good way to put it, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would say that Sony has gone back 5 years without expecting a backlash from Sony fans. Rather than stupid, I think it is just an overreaction by a bitterly disappointed former Sony fan.

Speaking for myself and my usage, I find the T1 to be superior to the Aura HD, but strangely find the Kobo Mini marginally superior for use as a bus reader to the Sony 350. This is just what suits my preferences and would not necessarily apply to anyone else.

I expect to find the T3 better than the T1 because of improved screen, which for me will make it better than the Aura HD.

But even though I have sworn off ever buying anything from Kobo till they can at least sort correctly in all places, (that would give me hope I will also be looking at the new Aura before deciding.

All of the videos are interesting, but I will reserve judgement of what is superior and what is in no way superior till I can view them all in person.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #130
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Been there, done that many times.

Problem is, not many people deal in huge libraries. Theory is all fine and dandy, but sometimes Real Life applications don't match Theory.

It's not the epubs. It's the fact my Sony's can't handle the indexing once they reach a certain number. And few people actually have the numbers to test them out like I do.

And no, I don't load thousands at a time. Doesn't make any difference how it's loaded, or how much time it takes to indes. Even with a week to 'gell' and index everything.

I'd like to know that the T3 has more "Umph" in the OS to handle a full card. I don't like to pay for space I can't use.
I have had around 5000 books on my SD card for 9-10 months. Recently it has started rebooting and freezing occasionally but for at least 8 months it was fine.

I was deleting and adding the books several times as I was experimenting with fonts and margins and changing the orientation a lot to help out a visually impaired friend. Before that it was pretty rock solid. Still only rebooted once and froze once in a month so maybe a coincidence.

Last year I had 4000 books in main memory with nary a hitch.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #131
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While I like the integrated light on my AuraHD I would be willing to give the T3 with the light poking out of the back a try if I found it at a good discount or refurbished. While I really like the integrated light on the Kobo a lot more than my Sonys with the lighted covers for daytime reading, I actually find that the Sonys with their lighted covers are a bit more comfortable to read on in the dark. They do suffer from a lack of adjustment control for the brightness, however.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #132
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It's the best designed e-reader + lighted cover combo. Very slim and compact. Super elegant.

The down-side is the inability to use either a third-party clip-on light and cover. Users are locked into the Sony cover and light by design. That's okay if they work well and are not expensive.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #133
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
prs-t3 on my hands

The PLUS---
PRS-T3 has un unilanguage dictionnary, french for me.
the cover is very nice but i dont think this make change a lot.
better resolution than PRS-T2,the others ereader do the same or better, (Kobo aura hd )

The same.
integration of Evernote, Google, Wiki the same as PRS-T2
Is not an android device.
the firmware is the same as PRS-T2
It's still epub v2
It's heavier than PRS-T2

Question does't worth to change? i don't think so.

I am à little desapointed.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #134
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
  • Is not an android device.
  • the firmware is the same as PRS-T2
  • It's heavier than PRS-T2
Thats wrong.
1. It's not the same firmware (e.g. dictionaries are part of the firmware!)
2. It is an Android device.
3. It's heavier, because of the cover. T2 with cover is heavier.

By they way, its funny if you think there should be the same firmware but no Android device anymore.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #135
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The down-side is the inability to use either a third-party clip-on light and cover. Users are locked into the Sony cover and light by design. That's okay if they work well and are not expensive.
Why? I guess if there's still a market for it that anybody could come up with a lighted cover as they have in the past. It's not like Sony has prohibited it.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote