Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
LaLaDivina
LaLaDivina began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Dual Booted nook color wont load off SD card

OK so I decided to dual boot my nook color before fully rooting it because I wanted to see if I liked it or not. Well I followed the instructions from this youtube video and everything went well. When I installed the sd card into the nook the part where the linux penguin shows up and writes the code went fine, then the nook shut down and I restarted it. According to the video it should take 5 - 10 minutes to start up on Android. Well that doesn't happen. After I restarted it is basically stuck on

"Press any key within 1 seconds(s) for the boot menu....

Booting please wait..."

I thought it might take a little longer, so I left the nook on my desk, went to Home Depot, came back and it still was stuck on that same phrase. I tried it again just now, and it's still stuck on the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas why it wont boot to CM7/Android? Could it be the SD card? I have a Sandisk 8gb class 2 micro sd card.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by LaLaDivina; 08-01-2011 at 07:07 PM.
LaLaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
All the post that I see mention the use of 16g class 4 sd card. take a look at this

http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaDivina View Post
OK so I decided to dual boot my nook color before fully rooting it because I wanted to see if I liked it or not. Well I followed the instructions from this youtube video and everything went well. When I installed the sd card into the nook the part where the linux penguin shows up and writes the code went fine, then the nook shut down and I restarted it. According to the video it should take 5 - 10 minutes to start up on Android. Well that doesn't happen. After I restarted it is basically stuck on

"Press any key within 1 seconds(s) for the boot menu....

Booting please wait..."

I thought it might take a little longer, so I left the nook on my desk, went to Home Depot, came back and it still was stuck on that same phrase. I tried it again just now, and it's still stuck on the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas why it wont boot to CM7/Android? Could it be the SD card? I have a Sandisk 8gb class 2 micro sd card.

Thanks for the help.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
There's some variation even in cards of the same class and manufacturer, but most 8GB c2 Sandisks work fine.

I just skimmed it, but it looks like the guys in that YouTube video are mish-mashing 3 or 4 different methods, and it's possible (even likely) that some of their links are out of date while others are being updated, meaning you end up with even more of a mishmash.

The standard for making an SD install is verygreen's size-agnostic SD install:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

I also wrote up a more step-by-step version of verygreen's OP a while back:

Materials:

Download the disk image in compressed .gz format here: http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generi...rd-v1.3.img.gz
It's an approximately 9MB file which you will extract into an approximately 130MB disk image.

You will need a SD card 1GB or larger. Class 4 Sandisk cards 8GB and larger have provided the most consistently stable installs. Class 2 and unclassed Sandisks have also performed well, but most other cards, while allowing you to install CM7, will have performance issues. See this thread for details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=12964262

In Windows, you will need a utility such as WinImage to write this image to your SD card. In Linux or Mac OSX use the dd command (something like: dd if=/somewhere/generic-sdcard.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1024k), being sure to write to the entire device and not a numbered partition.

You will also need a CyanogenMod 7 ROM from this list: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=encore
This installer is made to work with CM 7.1, which is not yet available in a signed, stable release, but is much more current than the last stable release, CM 7.0.3. You can use the release candidate, update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip or any of the nightly test releases numbered 86 or higher.

Finally, if you wish to activate a Google account for the Android Market, GMail and etc., you will need the CM7 Google Apps package, found at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...Latest_Version

Steps:
  1. Write the extracted image file to the SD card. In WinImage, the command is Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image on Physical Drive under the Disk menu. Be sure to choose the file type All Files so you can see generic-sdcard.img. It may take a few minutes.
  2. Copy the CM7 update file (as is: do not unzip) to card.
  3. Safely remove/eject the card from your computer, place it in your powered-off Nook Color, and power-on. The NC will unpack the CM7 ROM to the SD card, informing you of its progress, and power off when it is done. CM7 is now installed.
  4. If you wish to install Google Apps remove the SD card and return it to your PC.
  5. On your PC, copy gapps-*-signed.zip file (as is:do not unzip!) to the card's boot partition (the only partition Windows can now access).
  6. Safely remove/eject the card, return it to the NC, and boot into CM7.
  7. Set up a Wi-Fi network (important!), then hold and release the power button to bring up the power menu.
  8. Choose Reboot>Recovery. The NC will now reboot and install Google Apps, which can happen very quickly! You should be prompted to set up a Google account when you boot back into CM7, but if not, check Settings>Accounts & Sync before assuming the package did not install.

Alternate method for booting into recovery (NC powered off): hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
LaLaDivina
LaLaDivina began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I did all of that, but I installed one of the nightly versions of CM7. I wonder if I should install one of the stable versions instead and try that.
LaLaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Verygreen's current installer image is made to work with the nightlies (#86+, CM 7.1), not the last stable version (CM 7.0.3). I don't know about the image those YouTube guys are using, but most images will only work with one or the other, 7.0.3 or 7.1, because the two builds have different kernels and require different boot files.

So you're saying you started over, wrote a new image to the card, and followed verygreen's method instead of the YouTube video, but got the same results?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dual boot, micro sd card, nook color