Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
New Nook Cnet Hands on video

Looks alot more impressive than the engadget one.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-501...?tag=cnetRiver
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yeah, you're right. I was able to catch the different font style choices. Yum! Offers different line spacing and margins. Great feature set. Definitely a nice complement to the NOOK apps and NOOKcolor (stock reader).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, you're right. I was able to catch the different font style choices. Yum! Offers different line spacing and margins. Great feature set. Definitely a nice complement to the NOOK apps and NOOKcolor (stock reader).
yeah the nook looks A LOT more responsive with David Carnoy and much zippier on the Cnet video than with the engadget video.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Great video. Two things--the size doesn't look quite as squat and awkward as it did when I originally saw it this morning. I guess I was focusing so much on the screen that the shape really didn't bother me? Maybe.

Second, the interface on this thing is amazing. I can't believe the way it zips through pages. The difference being Android 2.1 versus 1.6 probably.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Great video. Two things--the size doesn't look quite as squat and awkward as it did when I originally saw it this morning. I guess I was focusing so much on the screen that the shape really didn't bother me? Maybe.

Second, the interface on this thing is amazing. I can't believe the way it zips through pages. The difference being Android 2.1 versus 1.6 probably.
yeah and a pretty impressive processor for an eink ereader. As far as eink goes this thing looks very fast.

I think I'm going to like the UI alot. Cant wait for a full youtube video and some hands on.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Much better video and it does look very responsive and impressive. The available fonts shown were Caecilia, Malabar, Ysobel, Gill Sans, Helvetica Neue, and Trebuchet. Looking at the video it might have only level 1 TOC entries though, which was an issue with the nookcolor stock but not the Nook for Android app.

It will remain to be seen how nice the firmware is. Hopefully it will be really nice, but most readers have their caveats.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
the size doesn't look quite as squat and awkward as it did when I originally saw it this morning
To me the size - or at least the width-to-height ratio - looks very much like the old Classic Nook without the bottom panel.

Maybe it would be nicer if it were the size of the Color Nook (with a longer screen), but isn't there some limit to the size of e-ink screens?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Maybe it would be nicer if it were the size of the Color Nook (with a longer screen), but isn't there some limit to the size of e-ink screens?
Something like the Sony 950's screen might be cool.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I love this. Margin and line spacing options like on the NC makes me want to replace my current 1st edition. Can't wait to get my hands on a demo!
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Looks alot more impressive than the engadget one.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-501...?tag=cnetRiver
Thank you for that video - that's a MUCH better demo. The device even looks prettier to me now - that's what a good demo gets you, I guess.

If that baby comes down to $99, I'm buying one.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It's running Android 2.1, it would be very cool if devs can put CM7 on this device.

While this does bring B&N on par with it's competition, it really is last years technology. Meanwhile SONY and Amazon have yet to release their models. It might be interesting to see what they release and how they might outdo B&N.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It's running Android 2.1, it would be very cool if devs can put CM7 on this device.

While this does bring B&N on par with it's competition, it really is last years technology. Meanwhile SONY and Amazon have yet to release their models. It might be interesting to see what they release and how they might outdo B&N.

=X=
Well, the fewer page flashes do look nice. That's new tech, right?

But I agree that this does seem like a high price tag for a new device that is largely running old tech (with a lot of stripped out features).
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

=X=
True, but you know Sony won't be outdoing anyone on price. It'll be something priced above $200 for sure.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
If that baby comes down to $99, I'm buying one.
When I first read this, I thought to myself, "That'll be the day!" but thinking about it, the original nook came down a lot in price. Of course that was probably driven by Kindle competition, but maybe this new one will come down. I cannot justify getting it for the current price either.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:

=X=
I don't know if I agree with the comment about last's year tech, Eink have came out and said there is nothing new in the short term horizon for the eink display's. so basically what ever tech is out now is going to be eink tech for the upcoming year.

and lets be honest speaking of tech advancement's and eink aren't exactly like speaking of an industry you can't keep up with. The Pearl screen is the latest tech made available and all that is is a better contrast ratio, Eink in the tech world moves at a painful snails pace.

Also they are using a form of new tech by caching the screen refresh to have a much nicer page turning experience and using a stronger battery.

so with Eink basically at a stand still advancement wise, the only thing they can compete on is form factor hardware and some software high end features.

It appears to me barnes and noble taking a tweener approach between a bare bones simple ereader and full featured ereader. The form factor and some firmware advancements along with what looks like a great UI combined with some basic features.

and also any touchscreen is decades ahead of the kindles navigation j/k

But eink corp. is crippling the ereader industry. Until they truely fix the page turning and finally get color, You can only reinvent the wheel so many times.

Last edited by boswd; 05-25-2011 at 12:16 AM.