Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.10.11591

This patch thread is for firmware 4.10.11591 (374ecc07837b33d166cd4fd8bade8a0e5178fe2b).

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download kobopatch_4.10.11591.zip from here.
  2. Download the firmware from here to the src folder. The file should be renamed from kobo-update-4.10.zip to kobo-update-4.10.11591.zip.
  3. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
  4. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  5. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
  6. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device.

Download

See the kobopatch - An improved patching system thread for more details.

Note: GeoffR gave me permission to post this patch thread (I updated the patches), patches in the old format are coming soon.

Last edited by geek1011; 08-26-2018 at 10:21 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v9 (2018-08-23): Initial release for 4.10.11591 with kobopatch v0.9.2
v10 (2018-08-24): GeoffR added the missing "My 24 line spacing values" patch
v11 (2018-08-24): Added a note about the "Rename new home screen footer" patch
v12 (2018-08-25): Removed GeoffR's "My 24 line spacing values" patch, as it caused crashes in the Adobe ePub reader (see the posts below)
v13 (2018-08-25): Updated "ePub fixed top/bottom margins" patch (see GeoffR's post below)
v14 (2018-08-25): Added fixed "My 24 line spacing values" patch
v49 (2019-06-09): New "ePub uniform font scale" patch (GeoffR).

Note: you don't need to update unless you want the changes mentioned. Updating is simple as long as you use the overrides section of kobopatch.yaml.

Last edited by geek1011; 06-30-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Advert
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Don't enable "Rename new home screen footer"

Don't enable "Rename new home screen footer" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. Otherwise you'll loose the "o" on your keyboard and have instead two "u".

For mor info see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=175
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Don't enable "Rename new home screen footer" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. Otherwise you'll loose the "o" on your keyboard and have instead two "u".
That's a side effect of some of the string-related patches (only this patch in this firmware version). Due to the way QT stores strings, sometimes, it will use part of another string to save space.

For your specific case, if you remove the last replacement (the Kobo Store one), it should work alright.

I'll add this to the kobopatch FAQ and the patch description.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That's a side effect of some of the string-related patches (only this patch in this firmware version). Due to the way QT stores strings, sometimes, it will use part of another string to save space.

For your specific case, if you remove the last replacement (the Kobo Store one), it should work alright.

I'll add this to the kobopatch FAQ and the patch description.
Ok, thank you!
Advert
Old 08-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Ok, thank you!
No problem.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Old-style instructions for patching firmware 4.10.11591

I recommend using the new patching method in post #1, but here are the instructions for the old method, for us old dogs who find it hard to learn new tricks.

Before starting:

1. Check Settings > Device information to make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 4.10.11591 (374ecc0783). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64/ARM), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_41011591.zip (attached).

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 4.10.11591 for your device (Mk 6 / Mk 7) and copy it into the 4.10_source/ subdirectory that was created in step 1. (Don't unzip the firmware archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 4.10_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows run 4.10.bat (double-click); For Linux/Mac run 4.10.sh (double-click, or right-click + run, or execute 4.10.sh from the command line, or drag 4.10.sh into Terminal, depending on your particular OS/desktop.)

5. If there were no errors, a new 4.10_target/ subdirectory will be created. Copy the KoboRoot.tgz file from this subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 4.10._source/*.patch files to disable all patches (i.e. set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.

Notes:

Missing patches since last version:
`Brightness fine control`
`Dictionary pop-up frame size increase`

I'm not running this firmware so I haven't tested any of the patches.

A long-standing bug in the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch that mixed up the left/right and bottom page margins has been fixed. It didn't affect the default settings, only those who tried to customise the patch might have come across it.

The `My 24 line spacing values` patch seems to be working, it has been added to the attached zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_41011591.zip (511.0 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-25-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added `My 24 line spacing values` patch to attached zip
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Good work

You king, very googd work.
I tested the version with KOBO H2O 2V, works very very well.
J ust one thing ! Will it ever be possible to "scroll/rotate creen" -> "Landcape" the ePUB file? (Like for PDFs, but for ePub?)
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
My Kobo Aura H2O, 2nd Edition works perfectly with this new firmware and the patch.
Thank you very much for the patcher.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
Dirk-71
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, this works!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I recommend using the new patching method in post #1, but here are the instructions for the old method, for us old dogs who find it hard to learn new tricks.
Thank you GeoffR. You are right that the new method should be better(?), but I find your method simpler and it works perfect, so as we say in Spain, "if something works, don´t touch it!".

And thank you again for you effort doing the patches.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Dirk-71
Zealot

Patches with comments

I have attached the patches "nickel" and "libnickel" with comments:

The latest correction of GeoffR "ePub fixed top/bottom margins" is also incorporated. For more details see here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=184

My comments are about issues with various patches and hints which patches interfere with others. I would like to see these hints in future patches in order to avoid failures during patching process. Thank you for your efforts!

My comments start and end with *** in the patch description.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comments.zip (19.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
As the 24 line-spacing values patch seems to be broken in any way for this fw, and the 10 line-spacing values is reducing the number of actual values, it should be possible to change only the value for the actual 15 line-spacing possibilities instead of increasing or reducing the number?
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If anyone tests the `My 24 line spacing values` patch and has problems, maybe one thing to try would be to edit the patch as follows to reduce the number of values to 15:
Spoiler:
Code:
# Replacement value: the number of initial line spacing values to exclude from
# the line spacing slider; minimum 0, maximum 13. E.g. 9 will result in a
# slider with 15 positions, starting from the 10th replace_float value below.
replace_int = 65A036, 0, 9
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
Dirk-71
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If anyone tests the `My 24 line spacing values` patch and has problems, maybe one thing to try would be to edit the patch as follows to reduce the number of values to 15:
Spoiler:
Code:
replace_int = 65A036, 0, 9
Do you mean addition like this? See last row! It doesn't work neither!

Spoiler:
Code:
My 24 line spacing values:
  - Enabled: yes
  - PatchGroup: Line spacing values alternatives
  - Description: |
      This patch changes the values on the line spacing adjustment slider,
      increasing the number of spacing options from 15 to 24, and allowing
      much narrower spacing values to be set.
    # save r5, initialise loop counter
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A034, FindH: BC F5 84 EA 6D A3, ReplaceH: A9 46 00 25 ED 00}
    # loop to load 14 vals from new table
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A03A, FindH: D3 E9 00 23 07 F1, ReplaceH: 20 46 04 A1 29 44}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A040, FindH: 80 01 20 46,       ReplaceH: BC F5 7E EA}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A044, FindH: 61 E9 1C 23 BC F5, ReplaceH: 08 35 70 2D F7 D1}
    # jump over new table
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A04A, FindH: 7A EA 6A A3 D3 E9, ReplaceH: 7C E0 00 BF 00 BF}
    # new table: 14 8-aligned doubles
  - BaseAddress: 0x65A050
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x00, FindH: 00 23 07 F1 80 01 20 46, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x08, FindH: 61 E9 1A 23 BC F5 70 EA, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x10, FindH: 67 A3 D3 E9 00 23 07 F1, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x18, FindH: 80 01 20 46 61 E9 18 23, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x20, FindH: BC F5 66 EA 43 F2 33 33, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x28, FindH: 4F F0 33 32 C3 F6 F3 73, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x30, FindH: 07 F1 80 01 20 46 61 E9, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x38, FindH: 16 23 BC F5 5A EA 5E A3, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x40, FindH: D3 E9 00 23 07 F1 80 01, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x48, FindH: 20 46 61 E9 14 23 BC F5, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x50, FindH: 50 EA 00 23 00 22 C3 F6, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x58, FindH: F8 73 07 F1 80 01 20 46, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x60, FindH: 61 E9 12 23 BC F5 44 EA, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x68, FindH: 55 A3 D3 E9 00 23 07 F1, ReplaceH: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F}
  - BaseAddress: 0
    # initialise loop counter
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65A144, FindH: 00 23 00 22, ReplaceH: 00 BF 00 25}
    # loop to load 10 vals from old table
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x65A036, Find:  0, Replace: 9}

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching