Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.14.12777

Kobo Firmware 4.14.12777

Kobo firmware 4.14.12777 has been released. As of May 6, 2019, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, and the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patches: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319970

Last edited by geek1011; 05-09-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This firmware version is mainly fixing some bugs. It is being released to almost all affiliates and locations. Everyone should get it quickly.

The release notes are short and sweet:
  • Various Bug Fixes
  • Stability Improvements

The fixes I know of are:
  • Series info in the search results is updating correctly when scrolling through the results.
  • Navigation in ePubs with ToC entries that have anchors.
  • Searching ePubs with internal files not in ToC. From memory, this was a problem where either these files weren't searched, or you could not navigate to them.

There is still an issue with the ToC for ePubs where there are multiple ToC entries for a single internal file. For these, the ToC list will always show the first entry in the file as the current chapter. This cannot be fixed at this point as it is an issue with the Adobe RMSDK used for ePubs.

For calibre, there are no changes in the firmware that affect calibre's interaction with the device. I will update the driver to recognize the new firmware version. It should be in the next calibre release. But, until then, it is completely safe to enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Guego
Guego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
After updating to 4.13.12638, I was having the same problem as Leeward here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28
And after updating to 4.14.12777, the problem is still here. I guess I will have to wait for another update.
Guego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guego View Post
After updating to 4.13.12638, I was having the same problem as Leeward here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28
And after updating to 4.14.12777, the problem is still here. I guess I will have to wait for another update.
Other than with my Touch, I am seeing no problems with any of my Kobo devices with WiFi connections with the three different WiFi networks I commonly use (home, work and phone) with either of these firmware versions.

One thing that does occur to me is that these are the first firmware versions released since they dropped support for some of the older devices. This was because their firmware did not support newer web security protocols. It is possible that Kobo have also changed something in the WiFi security protocol support at the same time. Dropping WEP or even WPA might make sense. An older router, or one configure to prefer the older protocols might cause problems. I'm not really expecting this to be the case, as I would have expected a change like this to be mentioned somewhere. Or noticed by someone.
Advert
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Guego
Guego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Other than with my Touch, I am seeing no problems with any of my Kobo devices with WiFi connections with the three different WiFi networks I commonly use (home, work and phone) with either of these firmware versions.

One thing that does occur to me is that these are the first firmware versions released since they dropped support for some of the older devices.
For me, it's actually the contrary: I tested and I have no problem with my old Kobo Touch, but my recent Kobo Clara HD hasn't been able to connect to my (home) wifi network since the 4.13.12638 update. I tried to reconfigure my router differently, with and old configuration, with a more recent configuration, and nothing works. And it's not just my router: I live in a building, and my Clara HD now detects maybe half of my neighbors wifi networks (as opposed to all of them earlier).

Quote:
Dropping WEP or even WPA might make sense.
My router uses WPA2-PSK/AES
Guego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
My Clara и H2O not recognize the hidden SSID, and I would like to fix it. For all other connected devices work great.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
My Clara и H2O not recognize the hidden SSID, and I would like to fix it. For all other connected devices work great.
A hidden SSID is not a security improvement. If you want to look at the packets, the SSID is babbled in Probe Response packets. The end user device will also broadcast the SSID (this includes when you are sitting at a Starbucks) when the network with the hidden SSID is set to automatically reconnect.

Unhide the SSID, make sure you are using WPA2 with a strong network key and enjoy life.

You can do a Google search for more information. One example is with Apple devices is found at: Using a hidden network can expose personally identifiable information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A hidden SSID is not a security improvement. If you want to look at the packets, the SSID is babbled in Probe Response packets. The end user device will also broadcast the SSID (this includes when you are sitting at a Starbucks) when the network with the hidden SSID is set to automatically reconnect.
I know it.

How does this relate to the fact that Kobo stubbornly does not connect to a hidden SSID?

There is no harm from the hidden SSID, except when can't connect devices with crooked drivers.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-08-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
How does this relate to the fact that Kobo stubbornly does not connect to a hidden SSID?
Perhaps you should re-read the articles that any Google search will bring up for the use of hidden SSIDs? Please note the common use of false sense of security and variants there on.

See a Wikipedia article here: Network cloaking

and a oldie from ZDnet here: The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN

Quote:
There is no harm from the hidden SSID, except when can't connect devices with crooked drivers.
Totally incorrect. A hidden SSID is useless for security and, even worse, gives many a false sense that they have done something to secure their network. Given that many devices broadcast the SSID while attempting to connect to a network, it isn't even that well hidden. Unhide the SSID, use WPA2 and a strong password if you are looking for security. A hidden SSID is lipstick on a pig.

In my testing a few years back, it took less that 20 seconds to obtain multiple hidden SSIDs by sniffing packets (Linux running on a IBM Thinkpad and a Pringles can antenna).

On the other hand, I have connected my Kobo ereaders to hidden networks on a couple of occasions. This did require deleting all known networks before adding the hidden network. A lot of work for little return.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-08-2019 at 10:41 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 AM   #11
Semwize
Guru

You wrote three times about a false sense of security. I told you right away that I knew that.

I ask again - what does this have to do with the fact that Kobo cannot connect to the hidden SSID? So we don't feel a false sense of security? I do not believe.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:18 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You wrote three times about a false sense of security. I told you right away that I knew that.

I ask again - what does this have to do with the fact that Kobo cannot connect to the hidden SSID? So we don't feel a false sense of security? I do not believe.
I think DNSB's point is that if it works with a visible SSID, but not with a hidden SSID, then there is no point in using a hidden SSID. Which would have been my first question:

What happens if the SSID is visible?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Hidden SSIDs cause problems for loads of clients. They are also pointless as are Mac filters.
There is no Plus and only Negatives to hidden SSIDs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 AM   #14
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
What happens if the SSID is visible?
Nothing will happen. Just the administrator (owner) insists on a hidden SSID.

It would be nice for Kobo to correct this. And the fact that there is no use in the hidden SSID, I know.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-09-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

I have some interesting facts about this firmware version here. I'm still updating that list as I work through the patches and config options.

This firmware seems to have a new parental controls option which allows you to pretty much de-koboify the kobo. I'll test it once I'm done the patches. Also, this feature is safe to test (and will revert back to normal after disabled). You need to add ParentalControls=true to [FeatureSettings], then it will be in the Accounts settings. Note that Overdrive and Pocket get hidden, but I may make a patch to either: add back these features or provide individual features from parental controls.

Last edited by geek1011; 05-09-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Tags
firmware