Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.

Which one should I buy iRex or SONY?

I like the iRex mainly because of its larger screen and 16 gray scales but the $700 price is absurd, $500 is a more reasonable for me. SONY is way more affordable at $350. I'll be using it mainly to read PDF files. I know iRex has zoom function while SONY doesn't but I was wondering if using the solution below will make the PDF more readable, is there a video show this method? I also read about pdfrastafarian for the SONY which I'll explore.

When displaying PDF documents, the Reader offers two sizing options, small (S) or medium (M). These sizes are available in both orientation options. If the PDF document is too small to be read in Vertical, change the orientation to Horizontal to display the document.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Which one should I buy iRex or SONY?
If only there was a forum here titled "Which one should I buy"...

BTW, the Reader offers three sizing options; small, medium and large.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
rsuryase
Enthusiast

Thanks looks like iRex is for me but I'll think it over and over since $700 is a rip-off.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I've purchased 5 Sony Readers and only one has failed.
I've had three different iLiad's and they've all failed.
Reader is a local (inside US) repair/return, iLiad is a return to Germany and I've been back billed by UPS $104 for shipping to return one unit.
The Sony has working power management, you can slide the switch to suspend/unsuspend it and it responds in seconds. The iLiad needs 10's of seconds to turn on/off.
You can legally purchase from a collection of over 11,000 ebooks for the Reader, you can't for the iLiad. Yeah I know, you try to convince yourself you'll only read PDF's for work, but then you download Teaching the Au Pair to Submit from the Sony Store and your fate is sealed.

For me, the near instant on/off has been the "Killer App".
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
rsuryase
Enthusiast

Wow that is one good reason of not purchasing the iRex iLiad but from my POV, the SONY screen is way too small, my range would be 8-10 inch. Maybe I should wait for Jinke V9 which should be available by end of 2007.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-22-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If it's all about size for you - get the iLiad. If you want battery life and easy of use - get the Sony. It depends very much on what kind of reading material you plan to use. Check out the various threads posted here with photos comparing the two readers.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
rsuryase
Enthusiast

I was steered to the iLiad until scotty1024 revealed his experience with it. Last thing I need is a $700 lemon. I was thinking of getting the SONY for $250 and then in 2008 get Jinke's 10' V9. I think this is the best route for me. I save $450 and has a lower risk of product malfunction and cheaper cost of repair.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-22-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
I was steered to the iLiad until scotty1024 revealed his experience with it. Last thing I need is a $700 lemon. I was thinking of getting the SONY for $250 and then in 2008 get Jinke's 10' V9. I think this is the best route for me. I save $450 and has a lower risk of product malfunction and cheaper cost of repair.
Well... Always remember those who've had bad experiences tend to be the most vocal... And people have been quoted > $200 to get screens replaced on the Reader...

The Sony Reader is more of a consumer product for reading pre-packaged bestsellers, versus a more flexible b2b product.

But if you can't afford $700 for a reader then don't buy it...! Bit of a no-brainer...!

Last edited by jęd; 01-22-2007 at 04:50 AM.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #9
rsuryase
Enthusiast

It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't want to make a bad investment. I'm again geared towards the iLiad since my choice is either to own 1 iLiad or 1 SONY reader and 1 Hanlin V9, the price difference becomes smaller. I like the iLiad more but don't like the cost of future repairs. What is the warranty period on the iLiad?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
rsuryase
Enthusiast

Ouch just programming on the iLiad can damage it and you can't fix it by yourself!! You have to pay 75 EURO to reflash it. Plus they have horrible tech support according to some users.
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...light=warranty
I wanted to get the iLiad because there utilities available online but now I'm scared of doing any programming on it since I'm not a programmer, so I WILL make mistakes.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-22-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Ouch just programming on the iLiad can damage it and you can't fix it by yourself!! You have to pay 75 EURO to reflash it. Plus they have horrible tech support according to some users.
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...light=warranty
I wanted to get the iLiad because there utilities available online but now I'm scared of doing any programming on it since I'm not a programmer, so I WILL make mistakes.
Again you are listening to all the "horror stories"... There's no current SDK although one is planned real, soon, now. If you don't want to brick it then wait until there is a supported SDK... Dunno about you but tech support seems fine with Irex regularly answering questions...
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
rsuryase
Enthusiast

I wish you were right but according to the poll below iLiad does not have a good reputation. The poll is small so hopefully more people will vote, right now it does not look good, I'm swaying back to the SONY Reader. The more I read on iRex iLiad, the bleaker it's future looks. Philips should just buy the company and take over it so it'll be on par with SONY.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8002

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-22-2007 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #13
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
I wish you were right but according to the poll below iLiad does not have a good reputation.
That poll shows that of 15 people nearly 50 % think its reliable and nearly 50 % think it isn't... Not very representative...

Quote:
I'm swaying back to the SONY Reader. The more I read on iRex iLiad, the bleaker it's future looks.
Well... Up to you... I think everyone who has one wouldn't swap...! The Iliad is a good product if you focus on what it *can* do. There's too much focus (on these boards and elsewhere) what it *can't* do it. If you buy for the former you'll think its great, but if you buy it for the latter you will be disappointed...!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
rsuryase
Enthusiast

I've made my choice. I'm buying a SONY. Thanks for all the help. $250 not a bad price. I'll get the Hanlin V9 next year, I think it'll be the same price as the iLiad.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #15
rsuryase
Enthusiast

50/50 is not a good sign. A product must have overwhelming positive reviews to be a success, like movies, 2.5 stars out of 5 is not good, it's needs 4 stars to be good. SONY here I come. iRex, go to Philips and sell yourself!