Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
owenfinn
owenfinn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 3
Intl restrictions question

I am a resident of Japan visiting my parents in North Carolina. My Dad, has offered to give me his Kindle DX since he rarely uses it.

What I would like to know is - will I be able to use whispernet and order books in Japan without imposing any extra fees? Would it make sense to keep the account in my Dad's name and just send him money for books I order?

Thanks!
owenfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
By far the best option is to keep the kindle in his name with the US address. I dont think you can use the whispernet out of he country if its not an international one. Its really easy to get books onto the kindle without having them downloaded. Just do it via the USB then you have no fees to pay and take about a minute ( if that). If you registered it in your name out of the US then you start to run into all sorts of restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfinn View Post
What I would like to know is - will I be able to use whispernet...
Is it an original DX (US) or a DXi (DX sn's start with B004, DXi's with B005)? If it's an original DX then the Whispernet will only function on Sprint's network in the US.

Quote:
...and order books in Japan without imposing any extra fees? Would it make sense to keep the account in my Dad's name and just send him money for books I order?
Well you'd certainly have access to more books I'd think with a 'US Account'. I'm sure they'll be able to tell where the books are being downloaded from, but whether that's an issue or not I don't know. Not sure about extra fees.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
owenfinn
owenfinn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is it an original DX (US) or a DXi (DX sn's start with B004, DXi's with B005)? If it's an original DX then the Whispernet will only function on Sprint's network in the US.

Thank you for the replies. The SN is a B004#. Nuts.

I already have a Sony PRS700.....I can't think of a compelling reason to take the Kindle DX back to Japan without the whispernet web browsing ability - which would have been really awesome in my area where internet wireless is expensive and very rarely free.

Nuts again.
owenfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Albright
Albright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Bumping this thread because I have a similar situation - I will hopefully be heading to Japan next year and hope to be able to continue buying books from the American store on my K3 (wifi). What little information I've been able to find has been conflicting, though - for example, this thread asks if this is possible; it has two replies, and the first one is basically "no" and the second one is basically "yes." Cell phone networks are not an issue with the wifi model, so are there any other obstacles? Does anyone know for sure?

I know that buying music from the American iTunes store was possible when I was over there a few years ago…
Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert