Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
cc_humbry
cc_humbry began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Install in Bubba server (Debian Linux bubba 2.6.32.6)

Hi,
I want to install Calibre on my linux server which is Linux bubba 2.6.32.6 (running debian v4) so I can run command line calibre to fetch news overnight and copy to attached BeBook Neo.
However, it is running python v2.4 which obviously doesn't satisfy calibre min version requirements.
Is there an older version of calibre I could use on python 2.4 and how would I go about installing it?

I have latest version of Calibre on my desktop (which is superb by the way ) and have run the command line tools to test the news download process and is fine, but don't want to leave desktop on all the time.

Thanks
Conrad
cc_humbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre never worked with python 2.4. Use the calibre binary, it bundles its own python library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
cc_humbry

Calibre binary... from where?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, but could you expand on this?
How do I get the binary - can I just copy it from my Ubuntu installation? The target machine is also a PowerPC chip if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Conrad
Old 07-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Instructions on installing the binary are on the linux download page
Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
cc_humbry

binary install

tried this before but get this error message...

python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "<string>", line 146
return 'http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/linux'+('32' if 'i686' in fname
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I am no expert but the docs at the top of the page says "of distributions on both 32-bit and 64-bit x86 machines" but mine is ppc.

uname -a
Linux bubba 2.6.32.6 #1 Thu Jan 28 13:58:17 CET 2010 ppc GNU/Linux

Thanks
Conrad
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The binaries are intel only, not ppc. You'll have to compile from source in that case.