Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Exclamation point document error

Has anyone tried to read a document and gotten a triangle with an exlamation point that says something about illegal file or format or can't read the file?

I saw it yesterday when I had loaded a Baen rtf file for someone. I had loaded the original rtf and also a copy for which I had used MS Word to add document properties (author/title), and increase the font size. It was resaved as rtf.

Even wierder, it worked once, and then later it didn't.

I have a couple thoughts:
1) If you load different files with the same/similar name or contents, maybe it confuses the cache.xml file. I wonder how Sony Reader determines whether a file has been changed and when it's the same file already indexed.
2) Something about removing and re-inserting the SD card messed up the file.

Anyone else experience this sort of thing?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I've seen the ! once but wasn't sure what it related to. My battery was low & after a recharge the ! did not appear.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's interesting. Never would have thought about battery. But I can safely rule that out as I'm pretty much fully charged, and all other books worked fine.

Btw, bad process for troubleshooting, but I both recreated the file and deleted the cache file and it seems to work now. Not sure if it's the file recreation or the cache deletion that fixed it. I wish now that I had kept the old file and/or done one step at a time.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I had ad RFT that the first page was a cover graphic. It loaded just fine but in Preview on the Connect software and on the reader it had the same error. The connect software froze and had to be closed thru program manager. The reader reported it only had 1 page of a 3.5 meg file but would navagate out of the file. I deleted the graphic from the RTF and reloaded and it worked fine.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
I bought five books at the Sony Connect Store today, and when I try to open them I get the triangle exclamation point error on all of these books.

I just got my reader today, so this may be some kind of beginners error, but it is DAMN irritating.

I can open pdf's just fine.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Yikes! That's bad news, LB. Do you know how to delete the cache file?

What about hard resetting the device?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I had the error again yesterday. I had just loaded an 11 meg RTF and went to check it and it got the warning sign with "Invalad File" under it. Since I was heading out I just grabed the Reader as I always do. I went to continue reading a book I had started, also a RTF and got the same error. Did a reset and both books are now readable. Resetting might help someone if they are out and get this error.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote