Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer 30 41.67%
The Tide Mill by Richard Herley 7 9.72%
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre 11 15.28%
Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan 15 20.83%
Soul Identity by Denis Batchelder 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do realize that the cost of buying an eBook edition of Flashforward is too expensive?
You do realize that you have posted this same thing several times before? For someone that doesn't like duplicate threads, you do tend to repeat yourself a lot.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You do realize that you have posted this same thing several times before? For someone that doesn't like duplicate threads, you do tend to repeat yourself a lot.

BOb

I think we've certainly established that, even if only based on postings about "back buttons"

(and I haven't been around these parts that long pardner)

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Hmm, looks like the central mystery of the new FlashForward TV show has been ruined.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
For the first time I think we have a real good selection I'd be happy with any of the choices.

I think the one that sounds most interesting is "The Moon and the Sun" it's gotten a mix of reviews which means people are either going to love it or hate it.

This is tough I've also been wanting to read another of Richard's or Steve's books. hmmm choices choices.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

The Tide Mill by Richard Herley

From the author's site (txt, Word, A4 PRF) - Free (donations welcome)
http://www.richardherley.com/downloads.html

Feedbooks (ePub, Mobi, PDF, Custom PDF)
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2265

Manybooks (pretty much every format out there)
http://manybooks.net/titles/herleyrother08RHTM.html
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Richard Herley is giving away his books for free or accepting donations. I think his license is more like shareware if you read and like please pay.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In your opinion. In others opinions it might not be. Also, nothing says you have to buy the ebook does it?

For me since I can get it for $7.99 I'm ok with the price, but if I had to pay more than that I'd probably feel it to expensive.
I can also get it for $7.99. But do I want to? No. I feel it's still expensive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Richard Herley is giving away his books for free or accepting donations. I think his license is more like shareware if you read and like please pay.

=X=
I went to his site and there is a download page which makes no mention of payment (you can't pay through Feedbooks or Manybooks and he has them there too).

He then has a page called donations which says...
Quote:
If you choose to make a donation, the amount is of course entirely at your discretion. You might think a book is worth the price of a commercially offered ebook; or less, because the author's share of such a sale is so small; or more, because you really enjoyed it. Whatever your reasoning, all contributions will be most gratefully received!

PayPal's transaction charge is 20p + 3.4% of the total, taking a disproportionate bite out of very small sums, so if you are contemplating support on a book-by-book basis I would rather you sampled each one first.

At present exchange rates, £1 sterling is equivalent to about $1.60 U.S. and 1.15 Euros.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I can also get it for $7.99. But do I want to? No. I feel it's still expensive.
Pretty simple then, don't buy it, or buy a new or used pbook copy or check the library.

Who knows it it'll even win at this point.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-28-2009 at 02:49 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I have to question abut Flashforward. Will reading it spoil the TV series?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

=X=
From his web site:

Quote:
At the original launch of my site I adopted a shareware model, imposing a moral obligation on readers to send me a fee for each and every book they had read and enjoyed. That was a mistake. First, it may have put off a number of potential readers. Secondly, it is an unwarranted imposition on the reader's conscience.
So the condition is hereby lifted. I offer these books for your reading pleasure. You can download them for nothing, read them for nothing and make integral copies to give away to your friends. In return I invite you to support the process that brought you a book you liked.

BOb

Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #26
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
One thing I have to question abut Flashforward. Will reading it spoil the TV series?
It hasn't yet. So far, the only thing that's been the same between the book and the series is the actual event itself. Aside from that, all of the details have either been different - or still to be explored in the book. (Which isn't to say there won't be more similarities - but the characters are totally different, and there is at least one major overall difference.) I won't say anything else though.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Who cares, no one watches TV anyway.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Is that a Steve Job's quote?

BOb
Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I watch TV. Even have a DVR.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is that a Steve Job's quote?

BOb
If we don't watch TV or read, what do we do?