Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #76
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm pretty sure they have not yet caught wind of people tampering with the device...
The word tampering infers stealthy, incorrect behavior. E.G. "John was caught tampering with the electronic voting machine." -- I don't tamper with my Readers. I paid good money for them and do with them what I like.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #77
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
The word tampering infers stealthy, incorrect behavior. E.G. "John was caught tampering with the electronic voting machine." -- I don't tamper with my Readers. I paid good money for them and do with them what I like.
Hear, hear!
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #78
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
So you're saying that by changing the 40 to 41,you're not making the system believe it's installing a firmware upgrade to 1.1.00.18041?
No, all you're doing there is persuading the flashing app that the firmware it's going to flash is something that's not the same version as is already there so it doesn't just exit saying 'already done' - it doesn't affect the firmware it actually flashes.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #79
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Ok,let me rephrase this...
I have nothing against hacks or both hard and software modifications, in fact I welcome them!

However with the Sony PSP we saw a whole other face of Sony. I was there in the whole process; and though Sony wasn't preventing people to tamper with their device, they do where trying to force people to upgrade their firmware (by creating games that no longer supported the old firmware), to a version that did not allow software modification like before.

They stuffed the newer firmware with feats long begotten by homebrew hackers.
Only in the very end Sony kind of gave in, by allowing flash files to be played back on the PSP, which gave most of the homebrew guys the satisfaction of creating and playing flash games instead.
And some open-source games where pretty good (like a clone of Sega's Streets of Rage).

Also the Vaio's batteries sold for 275 and $400,while you could buy them on ebay for $30-$75.

Maybe Sony learned a lesson since... Or maybe not, and in a couple of weeks we'll see firmware upgrades that block certain hacks..

Once again, I don't mind people doing with their device as they like... I'm just saying previous encounters with Sony weren't pleasant,and that it could happen again...;

..'could'..

& Gwynevans, thank you for the answer to my question!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #80
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Maybe Sony learned a lesson since... Or maybe not, and in a couple of weeks we'll see firmware upgrades that block certain hacks...
Well, I think this is alarmist and doesn't require any more input from me. BTW, welcome to the forum ProDight.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #81
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
You couldn't say it better. Touché'!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #82
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New version.

v1.2
- Step Two: parts rewritten to support the next version of PRSC, 1.04; thanks to Jeff for adding explicit support for custom fonts in PRSC
- added licensing info: file under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA.
- some clarifications
- some typo fixes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #83
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for your help on changing fonts.
I'd like to use as the default font the one that Calibre uses for its News ebooks. Do you know the name of that font? or where to find it?
Thank you!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #84
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
Thanks for your help on changing fonts.
I'd like to use as the default font the one that Calibre uses for its News ebooks. Do you know the name of that font? or where to find it?
Thank you!
I don't know what the font is, but you can ask in the calibre forum here on MobileRead, or Kovid Goyal directly (the developer of calibre).
Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #85
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Calibre uses the Liberation font set
Thx Kovid
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #86
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just wanted to add a quick note of thanks for this wonderful guide! I went with the suggested free Vera Serif font and it's great. No it did revolutionize my 505, but it's just that much more comfortable to read. Plus in doing this I used the PRS Customizer which (without me even thinking about it!) gave me the clock in the bottom right and I love that, too.

Thanks!

p.s. - now if only we could get an official firmware update that would build in some options for changing the default fonts.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #87
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I used the PRSCustomizer to change my font to Constantia and some sentences would repeat on the next page from the previous page every few pages. Has that happened to anyone else?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #88
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I used the PRSCustomizer to change my font to Constantia and some sentences would repeat on the next page from the previous page every few pages. Has that happened to anyone else?
That sounds like you may have made the font change on the reader, but you haven't made the same font change to the Sony library software. If you use the Sony library to transfer books over to the reader then it *must* have the same font changes in the library software (covered in one of the appendixes of the guide.) If the library and the reader are using different fonts you get all kinds of strangeness like you described.

Hope that helps!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #89
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Lilly--It's just as Shadowplay says, you need to make changes in the Sony Connect software as well.

In addition, after making the change in the Sony Connect software, you'll need to delete all the books you added to your reader before making changes and re-add them.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #90
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Excellent guide, Valloric.

netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote