Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
N.Y.Times reviews reviews

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/bu...s.html?_r=1&hp

Anyone here surprised?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 08-26-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Double link
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Anyone here surprised?
I give the article 5 bananas... a must read!

Disclosure Notice

Spoiler:
I ain't saying
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I am not surprised in the slightest, but I'm also okay with it if three conditions are met.

The first is that the relationship between the reviewer must be clearly stated.

The second is that the review must stick to truthful statements.

The third is the the reviewers must be unique.

If those conditions are met, I can get a good idea of what a product is about and what its strengths are. I can also scroll down the list to find independent reviews that will highlight the weaknesses. Personally, I am okay with to seeing both paid and independent reviews since paid reviews tend to address the market that they want to sell to. There is also a bit of a problem with independent customer reviews since they tend to be fanatically pro- and anti- anyhow.

Last edited by BWinmill; 08-26-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: can you tell that I get a bit miffed when the relationship is buried in the text or an obscure corner of a webpage?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Maybe I should give it another chance, but I also failed to see the greatness of The Great Gatsby.

Figuring out whether a book will engage you, without first reading all of it, is damn difficult, even when you stick to known ethical reviewers.

I've never been influenced by customer reviews for books, but I have been influenced by customer reviews for electronics items such as Kindle chargers and covers. I guess that's dumb, but when you don't have a legitimate review source like Consumers Reports or The New York Times Sunday Book Review to go by, it's hard to know what to do.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not at all. Thanks for the link. Ethics in business (or life for that matter) in the U.S.A. appear to be a thing of the past.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
The net result of this will be (and to some extent already is) that people will be even more distrustful of self-pubbed books. Not only do they not have a gatekeeper, but you can't even rely on reviews to know if the book is one you should buy.

I hope Amazon is able to screen these out.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Thanks for posting, this is an interesting article
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Great article - thanks for posting it.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I hope Amazon is able to screen these out.
Word is they did.
Google also cut them off.
Made a good chunk of cash before that, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Anyone who regularly uses the reviews on, say, Amazon to decide whether or not they will like a book can easily pick out a "Harriet Klausner" type of review - high-rated and basically a regurgitation of the book blurb, with nothing negative noted. For those who don't read the reviews critically right from the start, then perhaps they need to learn an important lesson by wasting their money on the book.

It's very hard to be totally objective about a book because the reading experience is so subjective. I'll read NYT book reviews praising a book to the high heavens and my eyes will cross when I try to actually read the book. I'll read an Amazon review panning a book, but because I might have read other books by that author, I'm willing to take a chance with the book rather than dismissing it outright. I've read "The Great Gatsby" and I still don't understand the fuss; the book did nothing for me. To me, the literary classics are just like any other books - they either resonate within me or else they don't; it doesn't matter who praises or dismisses them.

People write term papers for others, they take tests for others, so I'm not surprised that there's a fake-review industry.

An author's recommendation of another author doesn't sway me. Too many times I've seen those same author-reviewers' names in the book acknowledgements, listing them as a member of the book-author's writing circle, for me to take them seriously.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not at all. Thanks for the link. Ethics in business (or life for that matter) in the U.S.A. appear to be a thing of the past.
Soon enough someone will try to sell us canned porridge.

On the topic of The Great Gatsby; I believe it doesn't have the same impact today because we live in a different era. It needs to be understood within the framework of its time period, it is after all one of few works that have defined an era, The Gilded Age.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:03 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Not a bit surprised and exactly the reason why I never read reviews. I don't trust anyone I don't know.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Not a bit surprised and exactly the reason why I never read reviews. I don't trust anyone I don't know.
I don't trust anyone I don't know either, but particularly for book reviews, I feel strangely disappointed about the number of 'fake' reviews on Amazon. I have the naive idea that books should be above all that crap..... sadly, it's clearly not the case!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
most of the time, i'll ignore 5-star reviews. Don't tell me what's good, tell me what didn't work for you. I know the kinds of things that work for me, so I'll know whether it's a problem or not. I find the 2 and 3 star reviews tell me more about whether I'll like a book than anything else.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote