Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
ItalianRacer
ItalianRacer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo.
Trying to Convert from PDF to ePub - Please Help ?!?!

Hi All,

I have a Kobo eReader and some PDF versions of some books that I would like to convert to ePub because the formatting of PDF files on my Kobo is cumbersome to say the least.

I am trying to use Calibre to do so on my MacBook, but so far, I am not having any luck.

I am trying to convert them by adding them, as is standard practice. When I want to convert them, I am met with the message 'Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found.'

I then tried to do another one [and the same one that got the message above], and when I did so, I was met with 'Failed to read metadata from the following:'

Can anyone please direct me toward solving this problem ? It is really frustrating because from what I have seen in guides and even video tutorials, it is as easy as can be.

Am I doing something wrong ? Thank you.

Cheers !
ItalianRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
My experience, and from what I've read, is that converting from pdf to any other format (epub/mobi/html, etc) is quite difficult in the sense of maintaining flow of the original book.

I am trying (and have tried) various ways to convert to altered pdfs, as well as to html, and it never looks as good.

Nevertheless, there are two programs you can try:

- k2pdfopt
- pdfmasher

Pdfmasher allows you to have perhaps the best control of output quality, but it does not retain any images/pics in your book.

K2pdfopt employs an algorithm to take various 'snapshots' of your pdf book, which effectively enlarges them and makes it easier to read. This one does retain the images/pics but sometimes is inconsistent in font size and formatting. Plus the output file (which remains pdf) is quite large.

I use Calibre for most of my ebook conversions and tweaks, but not when starting with pdf format. I find it does not do nearly as well and sometimes just 'hangs' on the conversion and never finishes.

Good luck!
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert