Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Goodreads?

Probably a stupid question, but what is it for? I was expecting something like the reading recommendations section here, where people talk about things they've read recently.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
It's a sort of social network for readers. You can sign up, register your books, write reviews, and watch the accounts of people you know so you get notifications when they register another title or write another review... and/or follow authors, and if an author blog is attached to an author account, you can get notifications about updates to those, too.

There are various groups with forums, too, which I guess are a bit like the reading recommendations section here, only more themed? Though some seem to be book-club, like, "let'S read book X this month and discuss it", too. I'm not sure, I haven't spent much time in that section.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I joined last month but find it very confusing. There are too many groups there to join and I haven't the faintest clue what I'm doing. So far, all I've done is post an intro in the intro thread and a promo in the promo thread.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I've basically used it as a place to decide whether or not I want to read a book. They've actually kind of done a good job in merging some aspects of the social web with what's basically a giant book review site.

I'm actually set up as an author there, too, which is kind of neat!
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've found that Goodreads has really helped to get my book out there. Though I got an invite to join because someone was already reading my book (I was like "Squee!")

Join groups that you're actually interested--Indie Book Collective, for example--and rate books that you've already read. Friend people that have similar interest to you and to your book. Basically, it's a chance to personally connect to your possible-readers.

Sometimes I give out freebie coupons to a group I'm a member of and that really helps. A lot of people will read my reviews to get my taste, get a free book, then someone will end up buying all my books at one time.

It makes it a lot easier to find people of your particular genre.

If you friend me on there, I'll friend you back. Just let me know where you're from
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I despise Goodreads. I've tried uploading HTML and .txt, and in both cases their upload system has stripped out anything that remotely resembles indent-based paragraphs. They may offer "established" authors better tools for a more professional look, but that still doesn't explain why the relatively new guys should have to have to format their fiction like a bad fanfic.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post
So far, all I've done is post an intro in the intro thread and a promo in the promo thread.

Joyce
You've obviously got a bit further than me then because I still can't find either of those. I've fixed the mistakes on my listings (I was surprised they were on there at all), joined a group that seems to be either dead or silent, and added myself to a relevant list of books.

There seems to be a section where you can upload sample chapters for people to "like" as well, but no real clues as to how to do it, or whether you would need to censor them first.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
One of the things I use Goodreads for is not buying books twice while I'm out at physical book stores. The phone apps are useful.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can sell copies of your books there and once you've sold $50 they'll cut you a check or pay your PayPal account. Go to your Author Dashboard and find the book you want to sell. Click your book, then when the page loads you can see in the upper right your "Book Stats" and "Upload Ebook" which is the one you want. Make sure you look on the upper right to post your book cover image when the page loads

If you just want to add some free writing, on your Home Page, go down to your profile section and "writing" is listed there. Above you profile is where you can add status updates, btw.

You can set up giveaways and Q&As and all kinds of advertising stuff. You can even advertise with Goodreads, though that costs money. Make sure you link your blog posts too because as a fan of like CJ Cherryh, I love reading about her real life.

Just connecting with your possible readership is invaluable.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
LibraryThing is a similar site.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Im on Goodreads as an author too (I have no friends so feel free to friend me! ), but I do not sell via it. Goodreads just links to my Amazon and Barns and Noble listings. I have not found the "forums" there all that great but not spent much time in there. I need to start putting books I read in there and rating them to see how that goes... but so far I just have my author account and books I have written.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I am big Goodreads fan, both as a reader and as an author.

As a reader I use it to keep track of my books. I also use it as a place to talk books with other readers. It's fun to get into a good discussion of a book you enjoyed/loathed with other readers.

I also use it to find reccs for books. I follow the reviews of a few people who have taste I trust, and get little notes to tell me when they've reviewed a new book.

As a book reviewer I like it because it gives me a bigger audience than my blog alone.

As a writer, I find being able to connect with readers and other writers invaluable. I like the fact that I can sell my book through them. I like the fact that they connect into Amazon as well.

The sheer size of the thing is daunting. There are probably tens of thousands of groups and that can make things confusing. I went for ones that covered things I wanted to talk about/were related to what I write about (usually the same thing) and got to know people.

All in all, I'd say it's worth the time to get to know.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper

I don't like LibraryThing. It was too hard for me to navigate and there just seemed to be so much going on that I was left confused.

When I try to use Shelfari, I have to shut off Peerblock because it just doesn't like the site. But Shelfari is good because if you update character profiles and add trivia stuff, it all shows up linked to your book on Amazon. So Shelfari is a good tool for making sure people are notified about all the little extras you've thrown into your book.

Shelfari is pretty user friendly too, though I like the tags on Goodreads a lot better. I can have more shelves, and Shelfari just crams everything together. Plus, it doesn't remember my settings Still, very useful.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Regarding Goodreads and using their forums, I think it can be helpful to write an introductory message on the profile pages of those who have recently accepted your friend requests.

People are fairly open to adding new friends but all those new friends can get lost in the mix if you don't introduce yourself at the onset.

Using the "compare books" button is a good way to establish "book compatability" and many members seem to have this as a criterion for friendship acceptance. So it helps to rate and add a bunch of books so that your tastes are established on the site.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I participate in the forums there but arguably, to get good mileage out of Goodreads, it's mostly used as a way to track and review books (and from there, others in your network can also see and engage with your reviews/recommendations).

If you're an author, it's also one of the places where you can host giveaways and/or author interviews. Unlike other social networks, it's clearly a reader-centric place. (Similar social networks are Shelfari and LibraryThing.)
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote