Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
HTMLZ - Single HTML File Output

I want to share an upcoming feature in the 0.7.54 release. One complaint I hear often is in regard to the inability to edit ebooks. Many people seem to think EPUB is not a good format for editing. Sigil is often the solution given around these parts but some people insist on the need for a book to be contained in a single HTML file. Simply unzipping an EPUB doesn't accomplish this due to the need to split the files.

To remedy this situation I've added a new output format: HTMLZ. Just like TXTZ it is just a zip file with with a different extension to differentiate it. Inside is a metadata.opf file (calibre can read and write metadata to it). Images are preserved, renamed and placed in an images folder.

Also inside is a single HTML file. Even if you're converting from and EPUB that has been split into multiple parts a conversion to HTMLZ will result in a single HTML file. To go along with this there are a number of ways to configure CSS handling. The default is to place the CSS in separate style.css file. It can also place class based CSS inside of the head element in the HTML itself. Or you can have it write the CSS inline within each element. Finally the last option for CSS is to remove it and convert as much as possible (a very limited set right now) to HTML tags.

As with all of my output format attempts I believe this will have quite a few bugs. Let me know about any issues so I can fix them. I hope people find this useful for their hand editing needs.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I hope people find this useful for their hand editing needs.
Thanks for doing this! I subconsciously have wanted this ever since I saw Sony's first ADE implementation forced a max. chunk size (300k) and required splitting your source .html to accomplish same.

I've always WANTED .epub to be the master source for ebooks I create, and now the next best thing will be .HTMLZ (a single .html with images and its .opf!!!!). By the way, when I do want to preserve my single source .html in conversions to .epub, I usually feed calibre's "ebook-convert" the tags:
Code:
--dont-split-on-page-breaks --flow-size=40000
I DO think this will prove to be quite useful, especially when one doesn't have access to the original (single) .html and one wants to make (global) changes/tweaks.

Kudos for adding this functionality!

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-02-2011 at 10:42 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I DO think this will prove to be quite useful, especially when one doesn't have access to the original (single) .html and one wants to make (global) changes/tweaks.

Kudos for adding this functionality!
What more can I say? This was also my main problem. Editing all the split files is a pain the a..! And now I can do this at once.

NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
THANK YOU!!!
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
I want to share an upcoming feature in the 0.7.54 release. One complaint I hear often is in regard to the inability to edit ebooks. Many people seem to think EPUB is not a good format for editing. Sigil is often the solution given around these parts but some people insist on the need for a book to be contained in a single HTML file. Simply unzipping an EPUB doesn't accomplish this due to the need to split the files.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

As someone who has trouble with epub and has been depending on RTF, a single-page HTML file will make things so much easier!
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
To remedy this situation I've added a new output format: HTMLZ. Just like TXTZ it is just a zip file with with a different extension to differentiate it. Inside is a metadata.opf file (calibre can read and write metadata to it). Images are preserved, renamed and placed in an images folder.
Is this only an output format or is it also an input format? The reason I ask is that a certain file type plugin and standalone tools for Topaz format ebooks create a .zip archive which is basically a single.html file, images in an image folder, a separate css file, and an .opf file of metadata (including cover image information).

Would it be better for that type of tool/file type plugin to create an ".htmlz" file instead of a ".zip" file?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HTMLZ input is supported. As for that plugin no idea. Change the extension and see how it works.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
HTMLZ input is supported. As for that plugin no idea. Change the extension and see how it works.
It doesn't. It seems that .htmlz is not listed as an ebook extension (unlike .zip) on the file dialog so I had to change that to "All files" to get it to input an .htmlz file. And of course none of the metadata or cover were recognized upon import.

So I imported the book as a .zip (which works just fine, metadata is recognized, cover is recognized, etc) and then tried to convert it to a .htmlz which I was going to save and then compare to see how the .htmlz metadata.opf info was stored so that I could compare it to the .zip version.

Unfortunately, converting the .zip to .htmlz failed with the following error message:

calibre, version 0.7.54
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (Tank Driver: With the 11th Armored from the Battle of the Bulge to VE Day)

Convert book 1 of 1 (Tank Driver: With the 11th Armored from the Battle of the Bulge to VE Day)
Processing archive...
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.7.54
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'breadth_first': False,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': '/var/folders/0J/0JxyqG5bFGuePNZPaZd3-E+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.7.54_tmp_nE26fS/calibre_0.7.54_vEs25X.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_package': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'htmlz_class_style': u'external',
'htmlz_css_type': u'class',
'input_encoding': u'iso-8859-1',
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x1088b9150>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_levels': 5,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.SonyReaderOutput object at 0x1088b99d0>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': '/var/folders/0J/0JxyqG5bFGuePNZPaZd3-E+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.7.54_tmp_nE26fS/calibre_0.7.54_Cz_47v.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running
on /var/folders/0J/0JxyqG5bFGuePNZPaZd3-E+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.7.54_tmp_nE26fS/calibre_0.7.54_nQEnCB_plumber_archive/book.opf
Parsing all content...
Parsing book.html ...
Generating default TOC from spine...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Auto generated TOC with 33 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
style.css contains data in TXT format converting to HTML
Converting style.css ...
Parsing style.css ...
Forcing style.css into XHTML namespace
Stylesheet 'style.css' referenced by file 'book.html' is not CSS
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Found 270 items of level: div_1
Found 22 items of level: p_2
Found 718 items of level: p_1
Ignoring level p_2
div_1 left margin stats: Counter()
div_1 right margin stats: Counter()
p_1 left margin stats: Counter({u'0': 718})
p_1 right margin stats: Counter({u'0': 718})
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming 'style.css' from manifest
Python function terminated unexpectedly: must be convertible to a buffer, not lxml.etree._Element
Creating HTMLZ Output...
Converting OEB book to HTML...
Converting book.html to HTML...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 147, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
return getattr(pmod, func)()
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 119, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1035, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/htmlz/output.py", line 76, in convert
TypeError: must be convertible to a buffer, not lxml.etree._Element

Interestingly, this same .zip converts just fine to an .epub (as far as I can tell)

It also appears to have trouble with the style.css sheet as it declares that the "style.css is not CSS".

This same file unzipped, imports quite nicely into Sigil and it does not seem to have any problem with the xhtml or css.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
user_none

The file extension not being recnogized is an easy fix. I forgot to add it to the list. The metadata reader just reads the OPF from the archive. It's just a standard OPF just like if you do save to disk. Now that you mention the cover Kovid point out that thats not supported when he committed the changes. Looks like I forgot to go back and add cover support.

email me the file and I'll see what's going on.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi user_none,

Will do. I looked at the debug output of the conversion and notices that the style.css that I am passing in seems to get converted into a .xhtml (wrapped with its own <html><head><body> etc even though it is a normal linked css (without any namespace declaration).

So something is messed up with the style.css recognition too as far as I can tell.

I will send you a test .zip file.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

Sent you a .zip archive of the book that does work upon import (but maybe with styles broken for some reason?) but that when converted to .htmlz from .zip, generated the error I reported.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH
It seems that .htmlz is not listed as an ebook extension
Fixed.

Quote:
TypeError: must be convertible to a buffer, not lxml.etree._Element
Fixed. I didn't realize SVG data would be returned in such a manner. Image writing now accounts for this.

Quote:
I looked at the debug output of the conversion and notices that the style.css that I am passing in seems to get converted into a .xhtml (wrapped with its own <html><head><body> etc even though it is a normal linked css (without any namespace declaration).
This is happening as part of the ZIP input stage. I even tried adding a namespace declaration and it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure why this is happening I'm seeing this for the messages:

Code:
Converting style.css ...
Parsing style.css ...
However, it doesn't appear to be an issue in the final output. The CSS appears to be handled properly and is being written correctly in the HTMLZ output.

Since this is in the ZIP input stage it's going to happen no matter what output is used. Kovid will need to weigh in on this and say if it's an issue or not.

Quote:
And of course none of the metadata or cover were recognized upon import.
I have the metadata reading hardcoded to read from a file called metadata.opf. I will change this to use the first OPF file found instead. I will also add cover support to the metadata reader and writer.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates that either the mimetype information for style.css is incorrect or missing in the opf file's manifest.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates that either the mimetype information for style.css is incorrect or missing in the opf file's manifest.
Hi Kovid,

Thanks! It was staring me in the face but I just did not see it.

The media-type for the stylesheet was set to "text.css" and not "text/css" in the manifest of the opf. I will pass that error along so that it gets fixed.

KevinH
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi user_none,

Thanks for taking the time to look at and fix this!

KevinH

Quote:
Fixed.

Fixed. I didn't realize SVG data would be returned in such a manner. Image writing now accounts for this.

This is happening as part of the ZIP input stage. I even tried adding a namespace declaration and it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure why this is happening I'm seeing this for the messages:

Code:
Converting style.css ...
Parsing style.css ...
However, it doesn't appear to be an issue in the final output. The CSS appears to be handled properly and is being written correctly in the HTMLZ output.

Since this is in the ZIP input stage it's going to happen no matter what output is used. Kovid will need to weigh in on this and say if it's an issue or not.

I have the metadata reading hardcoded to read from a file called metadata.opf. I will change this to use the first OPF file found instead. I will also add cover support to the metadata reader and writer.