Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I haven't watched the movie, so I'll just choose a book that has a nice-sounding title for a starter...if I enjoy that one I'll probably start reading everything he ever wrote, I usually do it that way...
Dick was an interesting writer. All of his books are concerned with the question "How do you tell the difference between reality and fantasy?" Dick suffered from bouts of mental illness, and wasn't always sure where the line was himself, which lent power to his work.

I'd start with "The Man In the High Castle", a "What if the Axis had won WWII?" novel, and go on through "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", and "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I got the new Blade Runner DVD at Xmas, and just re-read Androids on my PRS-500. There are actually more common elements to the two stories than I remembered, and both of them are brilliant fiction in their own way. Scanner Darkly remains the most faithful PKD movie adaptation though. I defy anyone not to shed a tear reading the postscript to that book.

I've loved PKD's books since high school - he's the great unsung genius of American speculative fiction. I'm slogging through Valis at the moment which is pretty tough. It's basically a semi-autobiographical account of PKD's mystic revelations/mental breakdown.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PKD fans might like the following Red Meat cartoon:

(Note, it contains some "religious" reference, so if you're as easily offended as an 80-year-old nun at a Rocky Mountain Oyster Festival, you'll probably want to pass it by...)

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2007-11-13/index.html

Cheers,
Marc (I would have thought She was a Tepper fan, myself)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #19
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
That cartoon is cool...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
borax99
borax99 began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC - P1610
Man in the High Castle is a delight, but I have also greatly enjoyed Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Dick in his decline was still head and shoulders above most so-called "Genre" writers...

And I have watched A Scanner Darkly repeatedly - it does a very very good job capturing the paranoid essence of the story.
borax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Many books from Philip K. Dick are still in copyright, but a good chunk of his stories might not. It is currently under investigation. It will probably take a year or two to complete though.
Checking the copyright costs money. If anyone wants to donate then contact Greg Weeks. He has already freed H. Beam Piper for us.
Good luck, but I'm not too optimistic. I remember that shortly after his death, his short stories were collected in a block of hard cover books (5-7 volumes, if my memory serves me) with cut out signatures from his cancelled checks. What text they used I don't know, but that probably reset a lot of copyrights (to life + 95). If they didn't use the magazine text versions, those might be expired. RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Ahhh, PKD! Does he really need a recommendation though? That's like saying "Hey guys, someone told me this guy Henline, Hindline, something like that, is supposedly a good writer. I should check his stuff out. Oh, and I heard some good stuff about some guy named, what was it... Clerk, Clarke maybe?"

One of the true masters of writing, let alone just sci-fi. He was one of the original visionaries who really shaped what readers think of as "the future", however nebulous the concept may be. Interesting as time goes by though, many of his amazing theories and inventions from "the future" are now becoming science fact of the present.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Which story inspired Minority Report?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
That would be his short story... "The Minority Report".

Go figure.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #25
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
LOL. That's pretty obvious. I didn't have a chance to look it up. Thanks.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote