Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #271
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I forgot to ask W10? (blue circle is a possible clue)

It works as expected here. W10 pro aniv (x64)

With Calibre shut down. in the Configuration folder: Plugins:

Rename Search The Internet.JSON by adding a dotBAK
Note: you will need to redo any custom settings you made to this PI
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #272
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I forgot to ask W10? (blue circle is a possible clue)

It works as expected here. W10 pro aniv (x64)

With Calibre shut down. in the Configuration folder: Plugins:

Rename Search The Internet.JSON by adding a dotBAK
Note: you will need to redo any custom settings you made to this PI
Yes, Windows 10. Tried your suggestion and renamed the file and still get the spinning blue circle.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #273
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Yes, Windows 10. Tried your suggestion and renamed the file and still get the spinning blue circle.
then:
I would remove the PI using Preferences: (Miscellaneous) Plugins...
restart Calibre
then install a fresh download Preferences:get plugins
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #274
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
then:
I would remove the PI using Preferences: (Miscellaneous) Plugins...
restart Calibre
then install a fresh download Preferences:get plugins
That didn't work so I tried including a PC shutdown and restart before restarting Calibre. Still didn't work; spinning blue circle and had to close Calibre via the task manager.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #275
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I have two Win10 computers. One a desktop the other a laptop. Trying to customize the PI on my desktop freezes Calibre.The laptop lets me customize.

This is what BetterRed suggested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@copyrite - Hmmm, that's interesting and weird. Assuming same version of calibre and the PI, it suggests some strange interaction betwixt the Search the Internet configuration data and the core configuration data - or another PI's configuration data.

If I were thee I would:-
  1. Secure the desktop configuration folder and replace it with the configuration folder from the laptop.
  2. If 1. works, I'd then do whatever is necessary to adjust the configuration to suit the desktop install, testing this PI along the way.
  3. If 1. doesn't work then... suggests some strange interaction betwixt the Search the Internet PI and/or its configuration data and the OS
BR
And it worked!

Really really strange!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #276
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I have two Win10 computers. One a desktop the other a laptop. Trying to customize the PI on my desktop freezes Calibre.The laptop lets me customize.

This is what BetterRed suggested...

And it worked!

Really really strange!
Well, I only have one computer (laptop) and I've about given up on this plugin. It's really a shame because I found it very useful at times.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #277
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well, I only have one computer (laptop) and I've about given up on this plugin. It's really a shame because I found it very useful at times.
You could CAREFULLY edit the json file with a TEXT editor like Notepad(++)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #278
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@GeckoFriend - try this
  • First if you don't already have one, get a 'JSON' aware text editor, e.g. Notepad++ on Windows, Text Wrangler on OSX, Vim on Linux.
  • In main GUI program (library manager) go to Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory. That will open the calibre configuration folder in your file manager (windows/file explorer, finder, whatever).

Keep this window open.
  • Go into the plugins folder and save a copy of the file Search The Internet.json, I'll assume to the Desktop.
  • In calibre->Preferences-Plugins remove Search The Internet plugin.
  • Close calibre.
  • Go back to the file manager window and delete the file Search The Internet.json.
  • Start calibre
  • In calibre->Preferences-Plugins install a fresh copy the Search The Internet plugin. To find it enter 'search' in the filter box (top right). This is just in case the PI itself is damaged.
  • The first thing I'd do is go into the plugin's configuration and remove any sites you're unlikely to use - e.g. deviloid and mobipocket are both long deceased, if you don't read Spanish books get rid of Spanish sites etc, etc. If nothing else it will speed up loading them when you next select Configuration from the PI's menu.
  • Do a couple of tests on a couple of preselected common sites - I'll assume they're OK.
  • Now open the Search The Internet.json file you saved to the Desktop in the JSON-aware editor, and use it to re-enter and test the customisations you had. Don't do them all at once, do them selectively. It's quite easy to map the json entries for a site to the columns in the PI's configuration list - e.g.

Code:

{
            "openGroup": false, 
            "active": false, 
            "method": "GET", 
            "subMenu": "", 
            "menuText": "Barnes and Noble for Title", 
            "encoding": "utf-8", 
            "url": "http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&TTL={title}", 
            "image": "stip_bn.png"
    },
  • If the PI causes a problem after adding a site, then you've found the 'problem', which you can report here and maybe get a resolution.

It's quite possible that you'll do all that and find everything is working again - that is you won't find a problematic customisation. Perhaps in culling the unnecessary sites you eliminated the problem, or perhaps the json file you had was 'corrupt' in some way.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-07-2016 at 10:17 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #279
lalmoo
lalmoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
tl;dr Verified the problem lies with a conflict with icon sets.

I was having the same problem. I could use the plug-in, but it would cause the spinning blue circle (Win10) when I would attempt to edit the plug-in. Some time ago, I rewrote the Library of Congress searches to work with their new code and assumed that something revolving around that was going wonky. That appeared to be substantiated by the fact that another profile on this PC was having no problems with the plug-in.

So of course I renamed the file, uninstalled, reset. And yet....the problem remained.

I have been using Calibre for 4 years now and so I switched the icons to the "Classic" set because the news ones threw me off my game. But switching them to the new default set solved the problem with editing the plug-in.

For now, I'm going back to the problematic icons and the inability to edit the plug-in based on a purely utilitarian criteria (the icons impact has a far greater weight than the editing feature). But it would be nice to see plug-in get an overhaul.

Also, if anyone is interested, here's how to search the Library of Congress now:

ISBN: https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode1=KNUM&searchArg1={isbn}&argType1 =all&combine2=and&searchCode2=GKEY&searchArg2=&arg Type2=all&searchType=2&recCount=25

Title: https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=TKEY^*&searchArg={title}&searchT ype=1&recCount=25

Author: https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=NKEY^*&searchArg={author_sort}&s earchType=1&recCount=25
lalmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #280
GeckoFriend
Guru

Lamoo has solved my problem.

I was using the classic icons. I switched to the default icons and customized the plugin successfully. Then I changed back to the classic icons and everything is great.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #281
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmoo View Post
tl;dr Verified the problem lies with a conflict with icon sets.
Quote:

I was using the classic icons. I switched to the default icons and customized the plugin successfully. Then I changed back to the classic icons and everything is great.
Thanks, fixed the issue for me, too!

I don't know why I can edit the PI's config on my laptop because everything is exactly the same - the library, all the PIs. Ah well, nice to have a work around!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 AM   #282
dbareis
dbareis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Minor but annoying spelling mistake in "fratings" dialog it says "set decimal retings".

The "fratings" app fails on large number of selected apps, it strips the ratings from the publisher but doesn't update the "gr_rating" column. If I only do a few at a time it doesn't seem to fail (it displays a confirmation dialog).

Also if "fratings" run over small number of selected books it will update those successfully BUT it will clear ratings from all books publisher info.

Last edited by dbareis; 12-09-2016 at 03:25 AM.
dbareis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #283
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
Library of Congress connection is out of date

I tried to go to the Library of Congress to look up a book and was told that the plugin is going to their old web site, and it did NOT redirect to the new one so it needs to be fixed...
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #284
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RsH View Post
I tried to go to the Library of Congress to look up a book and was told that the plugin is going to their old web site, and it did NOT redirect to the new one so it needs to be fixed...
See post #279 Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #285
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Is this PI now broken?
now Fails to launch FF 57.0.4
Calibre 3.13 W10x64

Tags
book details, search the internet