Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
usern
usern began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Maximum number of books on KOBO?

Is there a limit on the number of books you can put on KOBO?

I tried to put my library of 137 books on my KOBO with no success. When I transferred my library to my KOBO, the processing bar kept restarting. When I transfer the books in batches, the maximum number of books recognized by my KOBO is 196 which includes the 100 free books that come with it. Some of the books om the main memory or the SD card don't show up on the menu.

I've tried different ways of transferring the books to my KOBO, including KOBO app, Calibre and Windows Explorer, with the same result. It also doesn't matter whether I put the books on the main memory or the SD card.

Is it a glitch?
usern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can you be more specific. What progress bar? On the Kobo or on the PC. What this while you were transferring or afterwards?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
usern

When you unplug the KOBO from the PC, you get a message saying "Please wait .....". Under it there is bar showing the processing. When there is a batch of books that is too large, >100?, the processing bar just restarts itself and never ends.

Any idea?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
usern

My KOBO is now frozen. Well, I'll take it back to Chapters to exchange for a black one.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance the battery might be dead?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
usern

The battery is fully charged. The processing bar stopped at 1/8. It doesn't respond at all. Plug it to PC and unplug it, on/off button, nothing happens. It just died.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
jcornet
jcornet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
That happened to me with an ebook that wasn't recognized it was corrupted for some reason.
Once I found it it was OK.

To recover from this situation, there's a reset hole on the back (check the quick start manual); use a paperclip to reset the kobo.
jcornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
usern

Thanks for pointing out the reset hole.

I reset my KOBO to factory and tried to transfer my library again with no success. I transferred 137 books onto my KOBO. Only 54 of them show up on the menu.

Any help?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by usern View Post

I reset my KOBO to factory and tried to transfer my library again with no success. I transferred 137 books onto my KOBO. Only 54 of them show up on the menu.

Any help?
Sorry... no. My only suggestion... as someone said is to maybe transfer 10 at a time. You probably have one that is corrupted or at least corrupted as far as the Kobo software is concerned.

Have you contacted Kobo about the issue?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by usern View Post

Any help?
I ran into the same problem with both mine and my wife's, (one black - one porcelain - not that that should have any bearing on the problem). I also did the reset with the paperclip - probably about five times. Finally I took off the whole library and kept putting books on one by one until I encountered the problem again. It ended up being just one book that I downloaded that was causing the problem and it was also causing other books not to show up for some reason. When I took that book off, the problem went away. I still don't know what is wrong with that particular book. It also gives me an error message in Adobe Digitial Editions, but still loads in ADE.

For interest's sake the book is a free ebook - A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright. I don't remember the site I downloaded from and I can't tell you the error message in ADE, as it goes by too fast.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Anyway re the original question, I've loaded the Kobo with over 1100 books (all converted with Calibre from LIT [80%] and several ePubs).

The Kobo was able to load all of them (although it took ages to process them).
But when it started, it was as fast as it normally would be.

Only issue is that EVERYTIME I was plugging the Kobo to charge and then unplug it (from a PC that is), it was re-processing all of them over again...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
usern

I have the problem fixed finally. It took me 2 hours to identify the single book that causes the problem. I can read that book with any other e-reader without any problem. Somehow, it is not compitable with KOBO.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
For interest's sake the book is a free ebook - A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright. I don't remember the site I downloaded from and I can't tell you the error message in ADE, as it goes by too fast.
Looks to be from http://www.arkessian.com/

It also causes my Kobo to hang but I saw no error in ADE
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
arkessian
arkessian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
For interest's sake the book is a free ebook - A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright. I don't remember the site I downloaded from and I can't tell you the error message in ADE, as it goes by too fast
Orochi, I'm sorry A Matter of Oaths caused you that problem. I don't have access to a Kobo but will install ADE to see if I can work out what's going wrong (assuming it will give me an error message).
arkessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkessian View Post
Orochi, I'm sorry A Matter of Oaths caused you that problem. I don't have access to a Kobo but will install ADE to see if I can work out what's going wrong (assuming it will give me an error message).
Not a problem - Just seemed to be that particular book - and I can't tell you why either. Who knows, it might work fine if try it again. I think it might just be the KOBO. I think what they are trying to do with the KOBO is fantastic, and we are just at the beginning, so there is going to be a little growing pains. If the gang at KOBO stays on top of things, fixes things fairly quickly, and stays true to their vision, it just may be the start of something pretty special, but until then I guess we just got to deal with it.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote