Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #31
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Z.
The manual is a Word Docment, converted to a PDF file according to the spec's posted in another thread.
Have you tried simply importing the Word doc itself or changing to an RTF? The Sony Reader does a better job with RTFs vs. PDF, I've found. I agree that you may have to enlarge the font to 16-20 pt for better reading.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #32
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I tried importing the Word Doc, and the Reader crashed on it (though it did come up in the main menu).

I haven't tried RTF - the PDF is serviceable for now. Thanks a lot!

Larry Z.
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #33
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

I should correct that iLiad starts not several minutes, but 45 seconds. And as you said some time to find and load a book.

With latest version 2.7 iLiad turns a page in 1.5 of second in PDF file.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #34
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malder1
I should correct that iLiad starts not several minutes, but 45 seconds. And as you said some time to find and load a book.

With latest version 2.7 iLiad turns a page in 1.5 of second in PDF file.
Maybe my iLiad is slow - (or it's owner is slow) but it does take over a minute to start up. I just timed it, and and it booted up in about 75 seconds. Then to load my manual takes another minute or so.

I haven't, however, upgraded to 2.7. I will do so eventually, but I have to remove the security settings from my airport to get the wifi connection to work and it's just a hassle. I'll revisit the iLiad with some enthusiasm when they announce a deal for content. I can only reread "The Sign of the Four" so many times before I start calling my wife "stout fellow," clutching a pipe and looking for clues everywhere...

Right now I'm reading "The Secret Man," by Bob Woodward - the story of "Deep Throat" from Watergate. I wish I could read it on the iLiad - but not so. At least, not yet...

Cheers!
Larry Z.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #35
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

40 second startup here, version 2.7
Looking forward to suspend mode though, with immediate restart...
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hey! Are you guys using metric time or US time?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #37
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

Larry,
I agree with you that even 45 seconds and 1 minute to find and load last book is too long. And I more like that Sony have sleep mode.

But I write to iRex and they told me that that hardware of iLiad doesn't allow sleep mode. So I'm afraid we will not see several seconds of waking up.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #38
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Hi Malder1,
It would be interesting to see what iRex told you in the email - from discussions in the iRex forum it seems like suspend mode (even between page turns) is a future possibility. Implementing this should get us closer to the promised 21 hr battery life (currently at around 11 hrs).
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #39
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
iRex stated somwhere, that the wacom tablet gives them trouble, so the processor cant go to 33MHz.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #40
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malder1
Larry,
I agree with you that even 45 seconds and 1 minute to find and load last book is too long. And I more like that Sony have sleep mode.

But I write to iRex and they told me that that hardware of iLiad doesn't allow sleep mode. So I'm afraid we will not see several seconds of waking up.
You know, I've always shut it off before using it - so I've never really tried to resume a session... I should give that a shot one night...

I still haven't tried 2.7 either... Maybe I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #41
Larry Z.
Enthusiast

Hi all -

I updated my iLiad software to 2.7, and I have a few additional reactions...

1. I boot up to the main menu in about 40 seconds, and it takes an additional 30 seconds or so to get to the book menu, select my book, and begin reading. The Reader, on the other hand, starts right up where I left off in about 2.5 seconds. That's a big difference. Making a pot of coffee to drink while I'm reading takes exactly the same amount of time regardless of device.

2. Now I have to revise a point I made earlier in the thread. The iLiad's larger screen is discernably better. I found it easier on the eyes, and I think tonight was a better time to judge, because I read the Reader for about two hours before I did the update to the iLiad.

3. Page turns on the iLiad are feeling better to me after the update, but still not quite as fast as the Reader. (Close though...)

4. The page turning bar on the iLiad feels more natural than the button on the lower left of the Reader. I realize that the Reader has the little "arrow" buttons to turn pages on the spine, but since I use the Sony Leather Cover those buttons are a little inconvenient.

5. At this point, I still favor the Reader based on two main points... First - content. Sony has the ebook store. That's a huge thing for me. Second, the "wake up" time of 2.5 seconds. Hit "on," and begin to enjoy the book. That's the way it should be, and how it works with paper copies.

The iLiad's wifi connection is a great idea, but the fact that I need to reconfigure my router every time I use it (I'm on a security enabled Mac) is a pain. If iRex sorted that out and had an online bookstore that could be accessed by wifi that'd be great.

I'm not sure if the iLiad will mature in that direction, but I'm happier with it after the update. It's getting better, but still not there yet IMO...

Larry Z.

Last edited by Larry Z.; 10-21-2006 at 05:01 AM.