Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #1
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Getting BookId from viewer plugin

Hi,

I'm trying to make a plugin for updating some metadata when a book is loaded inside the viewer. My problem at this moment is that I don't know how to get the book id (or the title and author, is the same) from inside the plugin. I don't know if it is not possible or I haven't looked at the proper point.

Thanks in advance
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Viewer plugins have no access to the database. They cannot since the the viewer can be run on books outside of a calibre library as well. I assume what you want to do is have calibre run embed metadata automatically when you click the view button?

If so, create a calibre plugin that duplicates the builtin view plugin, except that it run the embed metadata plugin before opening the file in the viewer. Then you can use this plugin to replace the view button in your calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try to see how to implement this, I'm not so sure I'm able to do it.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's very easy if you just modify the calibre source code instead of trying to do it via a plugin. All you have to do is modify the view_format_by_id() method in actions/view.py add a call to db.embed_metadata() to update the metadata in the book format.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's very easy if you just modify the calibre source code instead of trying to do it via a plugin. All you have to do is modify the view_format_by_id() method in actions/view.py add a call to db.embed_metadata() to update the metadata in the book format.
Yes, that's quite easy for sure. The problem here is to maintain that code across versions (I'm doing it for a metadata plugboard adaptation and some ongoing catalog modifications...), as I don't usually run calibre from source.

Thank you very much, really
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I suggest you setup calibre to run from source. Otherwise, you'd essentially have to clone parts of the builtin view plugin from actions/view.py into your own plugin.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I agree. Thank you again.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Viewer plugins have no access to the database. They cannot since the the viewer can be run on books outside of a calibre library as well. I assume what you want to do is have calibre run embed metadata automatically when you click the view button?

If so, create a calibre plugin that duplicates the builtin view plugin, except that it run the embed metadata plugin before opening the file in the viewer. Then you can use this plugin to replace the view button in your calibre.
Thank you for this idea, I haven't done exactly the same but a plugin which modifies metadata and calls to the builtin view plugin. Now it's working (not yet but it is in its way).

Thank you again.