Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
I'm still waiting to the 2.3.2 update and notice there haven't been any comments on it since the 24th - is it still being rolled out or has it been put on hold?
Anybody have any updates on it?
As far as I can tell, it is not being rolled out outside of Japan. If you want to manually update, the links are in the Firmware links thread.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogeking90 View Post
Yeah I don't understand the hate for this font. It was one of the reasons I choose to get the Kobo, rather than simply go from my Kindle Keyboard to a Paperwhite. It's a wonderful font for me, makes reading less of a chore.

Why do people say it looks like crap?
Because they're not dyslexic? I understand that it does make reading easier for some, and so I think it's worthwhile including it, but yeah it does look like crap to me. But then so do monospace fonts for anything except programming. I know nothing about font design - but it sounds like perhaps neither does Kobo, and you'd think that if they're doing something nobody else is, that they'd ask for some help to ensure that the font actually works well on their displays.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Just some feedback for people who may be on the fence about 2.3.2.

My update (from 2.3.1) went seamlessly without a factory reset.

I've been using it for three days now, and it takes care of the small-font- at- chapter-change issue.

I haven't seen any negative side-effects. Overall a much better user experience than 2.3.1.

I had prepared a KoboRoot.tgz with the changes to the 2.3.1 firmware I had made (basically installing dropbear and starting a script for custom scripts). And that applied flawlessly to 2.3.2 as well. So I was back at where I had been prior to 2.3.2 with minimal effort.

Existing plugin installation was unaffected by the update.

Last edited by xor_; 01-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I tried applying this again.
It seemed to go ok, however it didn't show any books on the front screen. As I sideload all my books I assume this is an issue with sideloaded books.
When I press the "reading" bar/text on the front screen they appear.

But when I power back up, they're not appearing again until I press the "reading" bar/text again.

Strange, anyone seen this before?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #35
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Oh man, i've made the mistake to update to 2.3.1 and the bug that makes it not to remember bookmarks is driving me mad, any news about a firmware to fix that?
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you mean the bug that you can work around by setting margins to zero, no news yet.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
Oh man, i've made the mistake to update to 2.3.1 and the bug that makes it not to remember bookmarks is driving me mad, any news about a firmware to fix that?
If that is the bug that's been around for a while, setting the margin slider fully to the left (0 margin) seems to alleviate the problem until a fix is released.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you mean the bug that you can work around by setting margins to zero, no news yet.
Oh, be nice
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #39
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I put 2.3.2 on my glo yesterday, so far so good, no problems what so ever...it even seems a bit snapper going to the home, and loading books, but other than that not much difference that I've noticed.

when is 2.3.3 coming out??!
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #40
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Are there any more of you who have installed 2.3.2? I'm still on the fence, but this fontsize-turns-minuscule-at-new-chapter thing is driving me nuts. Reading through this thread experiences are diverse, so I would like to hear more before I take the plunge.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #41
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Are there any more of you who have installed 2.3.2? I'm still on the fence, but this fontsize-turns-minuscule-at-new-chapter thing is driving me nuts. Reading through this thread experiences are diverse, so I would like to hear more before I take the plunge.
I'm using 2.3.2. No problems for me... but then, I wasn't experiencing the font size thing in 2.3.1...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #42
z1984z
z1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
Just some feedback for people who may be on the fence about 2.3.2.

My update (from 2.3.1) went seamlessly without a factory reset.

I've been using it for three days now, and it takes care of the small-font- at- chapter-change issue.

I haven't seen any negative side-effects. Overall a much better user experience than 2.3.1.

I had prepared a KoboRoot.tgz with the changes to the 2.3.1 firmware I had made (basically installing dropbear and starting a script for custom scripts). And that applied flawlessly to 2.3.2 as well. So I was back at where I had been prior to 2.3.2 with minimal effort.

Existing plugin installation was unaffected by the update.
Hello Xor_

You can help me to modify a KoboRoot.tgz to install dropbear and start custom scripts?

Thank's!!
z1984z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #43
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1984z View Post
You can help me to modify a KoboRoot.tgz to install dropbear and start custom scripts?
Sure. The attached KoboRoot.tgz sets the Kobo to run a custom script /mnt/onboard/run.sh at startup, and sets the root password to "banana". (You have to unzip it first, for some reason the board software complained when I tried to attach it directly.)

The attached dropbear.zip should be unpacked in /mnt/onboard

Then I put the line

/mnt/onboard/dropbear/dropbear -r /mnt/onboard/dropbear/kobokey

into my /mnt/onboard/run.sh script. This starts dropbear at startup. I guess you could also start it from the plugin instead.

Once you have it up and running, you could/should probably change the keyfile
/mnt/onboard/dropbear/kobokey

and change the root password.

Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dropbear.zip (474.8 KB, 446 views)
File Type: zip koboroot.zip (2.0 KB, 470 views)
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #44
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm using 2.3.2. No problems for me... but then, I wasn't experiencing the font size thing in 2.3.1...
Mmmm... well, I'm taking the plunge.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Mmmm... well, I'm taking the plunge.
Good luck! Waves of moral support flying your way