Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #31
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Hi,
Is there a way to have metadata (author for instance) with CBZ on Kobo?
Thanks!
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #32
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by artaeun View Post
Hey guys, i just did a little script today to help me put some mangas on my kobo, and i thought i'd share it with you guys.
Anyone wanting to have a nice collection of manga volumes in just one CBR or CBZ should find this particularly comfortable.
What this script does it that it basically puts all files in a sub-directory in order and renames them properly, so that if you have a folder in which you've downloaded several chapters (or hundreds of chapters) of a manga with a program like "DomDom Manga downloader" (google it), it will extract every page in the root in order, so that you can compress them immediately and store the CBR in your kobo.

Maybe this will seem confusing to some of you, so i'll just describe the procedure:

- First, download "DomDom Manga downloader" from here;
- Install it (you'll need to have installed .NET Framework to make it work; just keep your windows updated and you won't have problems opening it).
- Open it and download a manga of your choice (just right-click and choose "Download all"). You'll find a folder with the manga's name in your C:\ Drive; DomDom downloads there by default.
- Now download ActivePython from here (the script is made in python) and install it. Once everything's up and running download the script_manga.rar and extract it's contents in the root directory of the manga you've downloaded and launch the file.
If for example you've downloaded HunterXHunter, you'll have a folder in C: called "HunterXHunter" with inside, folders still called "Hunter X Hunter" and numbered from 1 to 323. Just copy the script alongside these folders and double click it.
- Once the script has finished working, you'll find tons of jpg files numbered from 00001 to X (where X is a big number of pages ).
- Now just select all pages, right click them (and if you have WinRar installed) and just choose "add to archive". Once the archiving is done, rename the file from "archivename.rar" to "archivename.cbr".
- uploaded into your kobo and have fun

if there are any questions or problems with this little guide i made, just tell me and i'll correct it ASAP. When i'll have a bit more time I'm gonna make a more complete program that manages all by itself meanwhile, enjoy ^^
thank you man it works very well! it's awesome and I'm using it with great pleasure! I have not alredy tryed it on a e ink device because the kobo is out of stock in my city but I will try soon I hope!

I had only one bug with one of my manga collections, there were few png scans and the rest were all jpg, I have found the folders empty except of the png scans that remain there (I belive that the png scans have been ignored, but I'm not sure because the final work was a very large number of pages and I couldn't discover if they miss from the original, also because the original were cancelled frim the folders).

Last edited by greens; 11-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlefor View Post
Hi,
Is there a way to have metadata (author for instance) with CBZ on Kobo?
Not unless the metadata can be put into the CBZ. The Kobo devices process new books when they are added to the device. This extracts the metadata and adds it to the internal database. If the book doesn't have metadata, then none is loaded. So, unless you want to update the database directly, there isn't a way to do it at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #34
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Ok thanks.
So it's starting to be a bit off the conversation, but...
If you rather, i can create a new post instead.
So here is the next question :
As i can't add metadata to cbz, i've search for another way to read at my comics on kobo glo. I've found out that the only other format that doesn't show the bottom information bar on kobo is the mobi.
So i convert my cbz to mobi, and it looks great, except for the cover. I tryed differnt solutions, but it looks like the cover is a random page, not the 00 or the first one, or the one i ask in the metadata calibre field.
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #35
greens
Connoisseur

I have finally got my kobo glo today I will try manga as soon as possible and report you my experience !

bye !
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
greens
Connoisseur

hello I'm very happy with the device, but talking about comics there is a little problem. when in landscape mode it can't scroll down. it scroll down only if zoommed but in this way it is not usable. I belive it's really bad because one need to scoll also left and right, and when you chance page it start from the bottom, it's a nightmare. but if it could scroll down without the little zoom in, it would be ok I belive.

do you think there is a way to ask kobo to correct the "scroll down in landscape mode"? or in altrenative ho you belive that it is possible to correct this problem in some hack way?

thx!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
greens
Connoisseur

@Artaeun thank you again for your software it's awesome !!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #38
Scroll3
Scroll3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello, I've been reading this post and I don't seen what I'm searching for. Can you tell me how I put cbr or cbz files in Kobo Glo? It doesn't reconigze them.
Scroll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How are you trying to move them over? If through calibre, with the Glo attached, click the down arrow besides the Device icon and select "Configure this device". Ensure that both cbr and cbz have a check mark next to them. This lets the driver know that the device supports cbr and cbz files.

From now on you should be able to send those files to the Glo,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #40
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Its too bad they didn't support the comic files better, like a tap system when zoomed in to move down, scrolling just sucks. If you zoomed in enough to show half the page, then tap to show the second half, and then tap again to goto the next page (to the top!) it would be perfect. I hope they do this in a future update....or maybe someone could develop a plugin to do this..hrmmm...anyone feel like a challenge?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Scroll3
Scroll3 began at the beginning.

Thank you PeterT =DDDD
Scroll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #42
sirtao
sirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not unless the metadata can be put into the CBZ. The Kobo devices process new books when they are added to the device. This extracts the metadata and adds it to the internal database. If the book doesn't have metadata, then none is loaded. So, unless you want to update the database directly, there isn't a way to do it at the moment.
Series name and series number DO show, though. I suppose because they are loaded in the Kobo database from Calibre instead of being loaded automatically by Kobo from the CBZ\CBR like the Author is
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #43
artaeun
artaeun began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
@Artaeun thank you again for your software it's awesome !!!
no problem i'm glad you find it useful!
artaeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #44
cressa
cressa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by artaeun View Post
Hey guys, i just did a little script today to help me put some mangas on my kobo, and i thought i'd share it with you guys.
Anyone wanting to have a nice collection of manga volumes in just one CBR or CBZ should find this particularly comfortable.
What this script does it that it basically puts all files in a sub-directory in order and renames them properly, so that if you have a folder in which you've downloaded several chapters (or hundreds of chapters) of a manga with a program like "DomDom Manga downloader" (google it), it will extract every page in the root in order, so that you can compress them immediately and store the CBR in your kobo.

Maybe this will seem confusing to some of you, so i'll just describe the procedure:

- First, download "DomDom Manga downloader" from here;
- Install it (you'll need to have installed .NET Framework to make it work; just keep your windows updated and you won't have problems opening it).
- Open it and download a manga of your choice (just right-click and choose "Download all"). You'll find a folder with the manga's name in your C:\ Drive; DomDom downloads there by default.
- Now download ActivePython from here (the script is made in python) and install it. Once everything's up and running download the script_manga.rar and extract it's contents in the root directory of the manga you've downloaded and launch the file.
If for example you've downloaded HunterXHunter, you'll have a folder in C: called "HunterXHunter" with inside, folders still called "Hunter X Hunter" and numbered from 1 to 323. Just copy the script alongside these folders and double click it.
- Once the script has finished working, you'll find tons of jpg files numbered from 00001 to X (where X is a big number of pages ).
- Now just select all pages, right click them (and if you have WinRar installed) and just choose "add to archive". Once the archiving is done, rename the file from "archivename.rar" to "archivename.cbr".
- uploaded into your kobo and have fun

if there are any questions or problems with this little guide i made, just tell me and i'll correct it ASAP. When i'll have a bit more time I'm gonna make a more complete program that manages all by itself meanwhile, enjoy ^^
Is there any reason this wouldn't work on a mac? I've installed the Mac active python (and downloaded the manga) but running the script doesn't seem to do anything >.<
cressa is offline   Reply With Quote