Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
muzzex
muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.muzzex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
Multi-language incl. Russian

Hi there,
X-mas is coming up and I'm planning to give a very specified wish list to Santa...

I'm looking for an eBook reader, and I have the following criterias:
Good english dictionary (en-en)
German, Spanish, Swedish, Russian to english (alternatively to Swedish) dictionaries. Ideally, also good dictionaries for all languages (I mean like Swedish to Swedish, explaining the word).

Further, I would like to be able to download free eBooks from libraries and buy from a variety of online stores. (All newer models have this functionality, right?).

The biggest reason for me to get the device is to be able to look up words quickly in foreign (and native) languages. I will use this functionality very often, so it should also be easy to use.

Some models have in-built dictionaries, but how do they differ when it comes to installing new ones? And finally, it has to support the cyrillic (Russian) letters.

This is my first post in this forum. I hope you are able to give me some advice!

BR,
Muzzex
muzzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle supports user-installed dictionaries, and there are quite a few available in the Kindle store. Just make sure they are settable as the default dictionary to make sure they are formatted correctly. It should say somewhere in the product description.

The Kindles that come with the foreign language dictionaries are, I believe, French to French, etc. instead of French to English, since they are for native language speakers.

Kindle supports Cyrillic.

I believe that most other ereaders that come with dictionaries don't let you install your own dictionary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
PocketBook and Onyx let you install your own dictionaries, though Onyx is not much good for Russian dictionaries because it does not recognize inflected/conjugated forms. I don't know if there are good Swedish dictionaries for PocketBook.

Make sure you select a model with a touch screen. That makes it lots easier to select the word you want to look up.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyrillic, dictionaries, russian, swedish