Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Thank you so much! I had spent a half hour trying to find a way to get Mantano installed!

That worked perfectly with Dropbox!
No problem. When you visit App sites outside of Amazon, any downloaded Apps should appear in the top notification bar of the Fire. Touch it and press the App to launch the installation. Here's another trick. If you have ES File Explorer (free from Amazon) Launch It. There will be a folder called Download. Touch it and any previously downloaded Apps will be there. You can choose to store these or LONG press (press and hold) and you can delete them.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you have an Android device with Market Access you can install ES File Explorer and it will backup any apps from the Market into a apk file then just upload to Dropbox and Install on your Fire.
awesome tip. Didn't even know ES allows that. I got use to using Titanium to handle that
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
awesome tip. Didn't even know ES allows that. I got use to using Titanium to handle that
I don't root so it's ES File Explorer for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wi-Fi File Explorer let's you easily transfer files (Apps, Documents, Movies, Music etc.) from your PC to your Fire using a Web Browser on your PC, without using a USB cable. This App requires that you are connected to a wireless network. When you enter the File Explorer Web URL address into a browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Real simple to use. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL of the App.

Note: You should Exit the App once you are done using it otherwise it could interfere with screen saving etc. (Options Bar --> MENU --> Exit). More specifically from the App description: PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.

Note: When downloading Apps outside of the Amazon App Store, you will see a small pop-up in the Notification Area of the Status Bar at the Top of the Fire. If you touch the Notification you will see the download in progress. After the download is complete, touch it to launch the App installation package.

Older Pro Version: http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4561.html

Thanks to Blossom who tested a newer version of this App from Amazon for a whopping 99 cents. Trust me, this is one App you will want to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-F...1641082&sr=1-1

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-20-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
BethQB
BethQB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Dolphin Browser, Doggcatcher, and Dropbox work quite well sideloaded. Off to try Epicurious.

Last edited by BethQB; 11-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
BethQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't get Youtube to install. I hit install and nothing.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out! Screen Filter app had to be disabled.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-19-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #22
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not quite sure what sideloading is. I have a SGT and when something isn't available I want in an app store, I just google it then go to the approriate website and download the app to the SGT. I don't recall being unlocked out so to speak doing that with what I've wanted.

Cannot one do the same with the KF?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I'm not quite sure what sideloading is. I have a SGT and when something isn't available I want in an app store, I just google it then go to the approriate website and download the app to the SGT. I don't recall being unlocked out so to speak doing that with what I've wanted.

Cannot one do the same with the KF?

Yes, you can do the same with the Kindle Fire. Sideloading is more transferring something from your PC to your Fire via USB cable or Wi-Fi.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I installed Firefox with "ES File Explorer". It is one nice program and using Firefox on my Fire is great. It loads fast and easily synced with my desktop.

If I am using a different wifi network, say at a Dunkin Donuts, etc., will I still have access to my bookmarks or if not is there a way to store my favorite bookmarks on the Fire/Firefox app?
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I installed Firefox with "ES File Explorer". It is one nice program and using Firefox on my Fire is great. It loads fast and easily synced with my desktop.

If I am using a different wifi network, say at a Dunkin Donuts, etc., will I still have access to my bookmarks or if not is there a way to store my favorite bookmarks on the Fire/Firefox app?

Yes. If you have synced your bookmarks from your PC to Firefox 8 they will be there. One thing I really like about Firefox 8 is the ability to create a PDF out of any webpage. Bring up the Options Bar and select Menu and Save as PDF. They look absolutely gorgeous when viewed in Mantano Reader (http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4960.html)

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #26
asb2164
asb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you have an Android device with Market Access you can install ES File Explorer and it will backup any apps from the Market into a apk file then just upload to Dropbox and Install on your Fire.

To backup an app while in ES File Explorer.
Hit Menu/Manager/App Manager
Select the Multi Select button at the top
(It's the one with the + on it.)

Select apps to backup by hitting each one in the File list.
Hit Menu/Backup to backup the apps.

Or Long press on one app and choose backup.

You will find the apk files in the folder backup\apps.

You can then upload them in ES File Explorer using the Dropbox app.

Long press on the apk file a window will popup,
Scroll down while in the Operations window and choose Share\Dropbox\Send to This Folder.

Once that's done, on your Kindle Fire where you have sideloaded the Dropbox app.

Open Dropbox and find where you sent the apk file
Then just press on it and It will open the installer automatically.

Note: You can download the Dropbox app directly from their site but Silk blocks it. So you will need to do this via USB or email it your email. (Not the Kindle's email!) However I recommended side loading Opera Mini you can download apk files directly from a website with it.
10 points for gryffindor!

I had no idea how to do that with ES, Thanks
asb2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Blossom:

Would side loading the dropbox app onto the KF save me some memory space? I am fast using it up! I'm down to half available memory in only a week of use. Can I put / backup the sideloaded .apk files (Montano, you Tube, Overdrive, ES Explorer) into that dropbox and not have it be in the rooted on KFire?

If I get Opera Mini then download .apk files directly, it sounds good, but again what about the usage of the memory?
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Blossom:

Would side loading the dropbox app onto the KF save me some memory space? I am fast using it up! I'm down to half available memory in only a week of use. Can I put / backup the sideloaded .apk files (Montano, you Tube, Overdrive, ES Explorer) into that dropbox and not have it be in the rooted on KFire?

If I get Opera Mini then download .apk files directly, it sounds good, but again what about the usage of the memory?
Dropbox app will work fine on the Fire. I use it for backing up my stuff and ebook library. I use Opera Mobile but it's a bit bigger in file size.

Have you tried clearing the caches using cache cleaner program? They can take up some space.

Dropbox will help or you can store the files on your PC use a Lan feature of ES File Expolorer to access them. Someone on here has a WLAN drive and uses that as storage. They can stream movies using an app directly from the drive. So there are options out there that can help.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
I'm wondering which apps and games (from Google market) will work for Kindle Fire ...
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkenzy View Post
I'm wondering which apps and games (from Google market) will work for Kindle Fire ...
For starters you can read through our thread on apps we have installed.

Keep in mind that the Fire does not have a camera, GPS, or microphone, so any apps that absolutely require those might not work well, if at all. Other than that, it seems like most of the Android Market apps are capable of being sideloaded and installed without issues.