Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
aceton
aceton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Question Device randomly suddenly restarts issue

Hi

After using the search function a while but not founding what I am looking for, I want to ask, if somebody has experienced the same problem like me before.

I use a PRS 650 and randomly (not on all eBook files) it happens, that after opening a certain book and reading it or even just open it and leave it open without doing anything, that the device shuts down and reboots after a few second automaticaly. this problem occurs at some ebooks and you can repeat the issue 100%. Other books can be read over weeks without any problems...

Is that a known or possibly a software issue or maybe Hardware issue? shall I try to send it back to sony?

I am not sure if the problem may be according to file type maybe?

thank you all in advance for your kindest help.

Yasmina
aceton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
bbriand
Enthusiast
bbriand began at the beginning.

Are any of the eBooks you noticed this happening on free and DRM free? Is there an example you could steer us towards? I would be willing to download a book you have noticed this issue with and try opening it.
bbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
aceton

Thank you for your fast reply.

it always happens with the same files...
up to now there are 2 PDF's which cause the PRS 650 to sudden restart.
I just measured the time and almost exactly after 1 minute after opening those files/books, the eReader blanks the screen and automatically restarts itself.

After restarting the"new"-flag for the booked opened and caused the restart ist set to "new" again, as it never was opened and read.

Furtheron I made another test and had another strange issue:
When opening one of those files but then pushing the "home" button within the 1 minute before it crashes and restarts itself, I end up in the main menu , BUT then when leving the reader without doing anymore, it crashes again within 1 minute and restarts itself... so I just need to start one of those books and close them or stay within them the issue happens... but now a new observation: when opening one of those books, closing them and opening a "good" book, it does not crash and not restart...

First I thought maybe the filesize may cause the problem, but some other PDF files are even larger and don't cause this issue.

Last edited by aceton; 05-28-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
aceton

here are the files...
I uploaded them into the prs 650 by using the software CALIBRE

sometimes the crash and restart occur faster than 1 minute...ile

Do not post copyrighted books to MobileRead, unless there is permission from the copyright holder. - MODERATOR

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-28-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
aceton

I am sorry for posting the books... my fault... bbriand, any ideas according to my issue??
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
bbriand
Enthusiast
bbriand began at the beginning.

I have opened around 15 or 20 pdfs on my 650 and so far I have not experienced your issue. If the PDFs are not just images of text but actual text and pictures perhaps you could use Caliber to convert them to Sony LRF files? See if that solves the issue.

I will try and find some more PDF files I can put on my 650 and try your method of waiting up to 1 minute and then pressing the home button.
bbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
@ Aceton,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your reader. Some helpful information including troubleshooting tips, bulletins even repair setup if needed for your model may be found at http://esupport.sony.com . If this information is not useful or you need further assistance, please contact Sony’s customer support @ 1-800-222-7669.
Sincerely,
Evelyn Perez
Sonylistens Team
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote