Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What age group do electronic book readers belong to?
0-15 0 0%
15-20 5 2.12%
20-30 32 13.56%
30-40 50 21.19%
40-50 66 27.97%
50-60 57 24.15%
60+ 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Understanding what type of people use electronic book readers

So far I have found that we tend to be more computer savy then the averge person and tend not to read bestsellers because we like to read what we like not what is on a list. What age group do we belong to?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'll be curious to see the results of this one.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not sure how you want me to vote.. My age or what i *think* is the age group? Confusing poll.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I'd like to know the result, too. I never saw anyone on MobileRead that is teenager. Almost all of you are 30+.

@ jgaiser: I think it asks about our age.

Last edited by maianhvk; 05-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
So far I'm the only one who has confessed to 60+.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I see youngsters (20's) reading ebooks on the bus. I suspect they tend to use mobile phones, so it's tougher to always tell if they're reading a book, or a blog. Fellow airplane passengers tend to be older (40+), gender I find evenly divided among all ages.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
So far I'm the only one who has confessed to 60+.
Voted my age, so now there's two of us...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I see youngsters (20's) reading ebooks on the bus. I suspect they tend to use mobile phones, so it's tougher to always tell if they're reading a book, or a blog. Fellow airplane passengers tend to be older (40+), gender I find evenly divided among all ages.
ahh. In my country, if I see anyone using mobile phones no matter where they are: on bus, or at public places, or in class... they're certainly surfing the Internet, texting, blogging, playing games... everything but reading We don't have the "reading culture" here in my country. What do we do on the bus? We youngsters listen to music or texting, the others drift in and out of sleep. Reading is a rare thing to see, at least in public places. Of course it's different in the libraries, bookstores and on the planes, where magazines and newspapers are stacked in front of you and there's plenty time to do nothing but staring at the clouds.

I only saw one Vietnamese reading in a public place once, using her smart phone. In my entire life

So far I'm the youngest
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I think the cost of e-readers and the advertising has appealed to bibliophiles in the 30-40 age range.

However, I voted for my age 20-30.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a strange poll. What is the relevance of this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
ahh. In my country, if I see anyone using mobile phones no matter where they are: on bus, or at public places, or in class... they're certainly surfing the Internet, texting, blogging, playing games... everything but reading We don't have the "reading culture" here in my country. What do we do on the bus? We youngsters listen to music or texting, the others drift in and out of sleep. Reading is a rare thing to see, at least in public places. Of course it's different in the libraries, bookstores and on the planes, where magazines and newspapers are stacked in front of you and there's plenty time to do nothing but staring at the clouds.

I only saw one Vietnamese reading in a public place once, using her smart phone. In my entire life

So far I'm the youngest
Here in Microsoft-land (their HQ is less than an hour away), the youngsters probably find dedicated readers an old fogey thing - like rotary dial phones, and TV sets with channel changers.

My phone has email capability, but I don't use it, and wouldn't except perhaps for checking email, if I had to. The idea of reading anything longer on the tiny screen seems horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I think the cost of e-readers and the advertising has appealed to bibliophiles in the 30-40 age range.
I see folks over 40 using them when traveling - under 30's I think read on their mobile phones.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I voted my age too, but I think the E-bookers are generally older than me. I know four people who have readers that are sixty plus, and only one who is in the 30's range and a family that shares a reader.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
P.S I think there was a poll like this last year, but there's like 25,000 more members that at that time.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
The title threw me off. Age != type.

I think so far we've established from these recent polls that all respondents use MR and apparently don't mind doing polls. It is fun to see the results, I just don't know that they reflect an accurate picture outside the MR universe. I could be wrong, though, since I don't get out much. I pretty much stay in the MR universe most of the time here lately.

And my age group is tied for 1st. Woohoo! Go 30-40s!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think we are being type cast, by our age
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote