Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Fantasy/science fiction recommendations?

I'd appreciate any suggestions for fantasy/science fiction books for a 20-year-old guy--I'm way out of my league. Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Just about anything sci-fi by Iain M Banks. His novels are some of the best science fiction I have ever read. His writing is very imaginitive and often on a huge scale, and is laced through with a dark sense of humour. Most of the books are set within his Culture universe, but there are a number of standalone novels as well. Start with Consider Phlebas or The Player of Games for the Culture ones. Against a Dark Background is standalone and also particularly good.

Alastair Reyonolds is also very good, his Revelation Space series in particular. It's more 'hard' sci-fi with semi-plausible technology and space travel (the author worked for ESA before writing full time) but it still contains plenty of bizarre characters and terrifying, ancient alien technology.

Peter F Hamilton is also worth a look, though his writing is more pulp sci-fi (lots of sex and violence) and he tends to write very, very long books. His Night's Dawn Trilogy is very entertaining, even if it does get a bit silly. Fallen Dragon is also good. Mis-spent Youth is terrible, avoid.

Last edited by dworth; 12-02-2010 at 04:34 AM.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Steven Brust's Dragaera / Taltos books are quite good --- I'd suggest reading them in publication order. Interestingly they're fantasy w/ a science fiction background story. You'll probably bounce on Teckla, but it's worth reading (once) as a cautionary tale of love having problems.

It's always good to have a good foundation in the classics, so I'd suggest Lord Dunsany for fantasy and Jules Vernes for science fiction (there's a new translation of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which is fabulous).

L.E. Modesit's _Forever Hero_ Trilogy is a lot of fun, as is Timothy Zahn's _Blackcollar_ for more contemporary science fiction (yes, I'm dating myself).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' was our book of the month club reading this month. You can read the sticky thread discussion above. I read all three books of the series. Its a humorous tale, and a fun read.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm a huge fan of the original Foundation trilogy by Asimov (Foundation, Foundation & Empire, Second Foundation).

For fantasy, I loved the Hobb Farseer trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest). However, people seem to have strong reactions to this series, either love or hate.

And then there's the ever-popular Ender's Game, which I read for the first time when I was about 20.

I've heard great things about Joe Abercrombie's books, but I haven't really gotten into them.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I enjoyed reading the 1632- series by Eric Flint as light, entertaining in-between reading (available via Baen). If you like Cyberpunk, I'd recommend William Gibson's Bridge trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrows Parties). Arthur C. Clarke is very much recommended regardless of what title you read. I can also recommend reading anything by Stanislaw Lem or the Strugatzki brothers.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fantasy:
Joe Abercrombie - lots of violence, dark humor, he is the best
Paul Kearney - feels real, it could have happened
Brandon Sanderson - a bit more lightweight than the above 2, but very entertaining with some humor
Brent Weeks - very entertaining stories

Sci-fi:
Alastair Reynolds - he is the best contemporary scifi writer imho, just avoid "The Prefect"
Liz Williams - not the usual scifi themes and this makes it very entertaining
Vernor Vinge: Deepness duology is fantastic
Douglas Adams: he is the best in humorous sci-fi
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I recently read two books by Brandon Sanderson and really enjoyed them: The Way of Kings (the first and so far only book released in a new series) and Mistborn: The Final Empire, the first book in a completed trilogy. I'm on the second book in the trilogy, it's a fantastic follow up.

My favourite fantasy series is George R.R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Are you looking to get these for someone as a Christmas present? Ebooks or paper books?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Does the 20 yr-old already like SF/F... or are you trying to get him interested?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's hard to recommend a book for someone else if you don't know that someone else. I take it he likes sci fi, you don't, so you want help picking a book for him?

If it were ME -- I'd rather be asked what books I'm interested in. He'll know what he wants and hasn't yet read. How would you know that what we recommend isn't a book he hasn't already read?

Also, a lot of folks like EITHER sci fi OR fantasy.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Michael Moorcock - The Dancers at the End of Time

Best science fiction fantasy I have ever read. Maybe one of the best ten novels I have ever read.

Moorcock is the best.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Here's an idea. Take one of your old books -- preferably something like a Harlequin Romance (anything girly or something he's definitely not like). Buy an Amazon gift card (or iTunes, or Barnes and Noble). Stick the gift card in the book, wrap it up for the present.

That way you get to give a "real present" and not a gift card. He opens it up and gets a little shock. Tries to hide his disappointment. You laugh and tell him to open the book up.

Fun for all

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fantasy:
The Book of Joby - by Mark J. Ferrari (stand-alone)
Once A Hero - by Michael A. Stackpole (stand-alone)
The Fionavar Tapestry - by Guy Gavriel Kay (completed series)
The Age of Unreason - by J. Gregory Keyes (completed series)

SciFi:
Hyperion - by Dan Simmons (completed series)
The Gap Cycle - by Stephen R. Donaldson (completed series)
The Anubis Gates - by Tim Powers (stand-alone)
The Doomsday Book - by Connie Willis (stand-alone)

Some of those could probably be flip-flopped between genres, but I don't really get that worked up about labels.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay, is a great book.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay, is a great book.
You betcha it is!
That and The Lions of Al Rassan are my favorites of his (and maybe my favorites of all time!)