Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Searching for some books on Egyptology. Suggestions requested.

In order to extend my knowledge and curiosity about the Egyptology and Egyptian archaeology particularly, I need some suggestions from fellow members who have read Egyptology in depth.

To begin with, I have downloaded Manual Of Egyptian Archaeology And Guide To The Study Of Antiquities In Egypt by Gaston Maspero, from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library, and I am planning to buy Tutankhamen - The Search for an Egyptian King by Joyce Tyldesley soon. Unfortunately this book is not available in eBook form, only hardcover version is available on Amazon, which is too costly for me, around 26$.

The level of my knowledge of Egyptology is only basic, i.e., I got a little tidbits of it during my PhD in Archaeology (Indology), and much from the fiction books I have read with Egyptian background so far. Therefore I request for any suggestions about books which I should obtain and read. Thanks in advance.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best single volume history of Egypt is without a doubt "The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt", edited by Ian Shaw. It is available as an ebook. It's generally regarded as the definitive work on the subject.

I can recommend other books if you have an interest in any particular aspects of Egyptian history. Eg, if you're interested in the Amarna period (the so-called "Heretic Pharaoh", Akhenaten), two excellent books are those by the well-known British Egyptologist Aiden Dodson: "Amarna Sunrise" and "Amarna Sunset". Again both available as ebooks.

You've already mentioned Joyce Tyldesley. She was my tutor on my Egyptology course and I'd recommend anything she writes - she has a real talent for putting complex subjects across in a very readable way. Many of her books are available as ebooks (in the UK at least).

Last edited by HarryT; 10-29-2016 at 06:48 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks HarryT, for the superfast response. Great suggestions!

I will buy The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt right now from Amazon. I hope with the help of 'The Oxford History...' and 'Egyptian Archaeology And Guide...', I will be able to have a good start on the subject. I am keeping the "Amarna Sunrise" and "Amarna Sunset" in my wish list to further expand the horizon of study. The books of Joyce Tyldesley are already on the list. You are fortunate to have her as a mentor.

Thanks once again!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't place too much faith in Maspero's book if I were you. An awful lot has been learnt about Egypt since his day. It's an interesting historical document of its day, but as an actual source of information? No.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
drjd
The Couch Potato

I completely agree with your views. Archaeology is an everyday changing subject. Every new excavation, artifacts, analysis of data and study reveals new facts which supersede our earlier understanding and beliefs. Back in 1980s, my professor and research guide always insisted to make me study the latest research papers first. However, the earlier researches could be referred to later, just for amusement, as to see how the concepts and theories of knowledge change with time.

So I will start with The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt at the outset (which has been bought now), and Maspero's book for sometimes later. I will be looking forward for more valuable suggestions.
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please don't hesitate to ask if you'd like more specific recommendations on particular periods of Egyptian history, or other aspects of Egyptology (eg the Egyptian language). Always happy to help.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
drjd
The Couch Potato

Sure I will. That is very kind of you. Thank you.