Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #61
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
they do take credit cards.
once your application is complete & you have your library number, you log in & see that you owe $50
you pay that by credit card & can start borrowing immediately
I should mention that while they do take credit cards to get a new card, you have to do renewals by mail and send a check.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #62
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I should mention that while they do take credit cards to get a new card, you have to do renewals by mail and send a check.
Not if you're from out of USA, at least till this year.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #63
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Not if you're from out of USA, at least till this year.
Interesting. I have to fill out the form and mail a check for my renewal. I dislike sending checks by mail.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #64
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Interesting. I have to fill out the form and mail a check for my renewal. I dislike sending checks by mail.
Same here. I wish out of state but US based members could renew by credit card. Doesn't even make sense to me if they let out of country folks do it but not us living in the US for renewals.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #65
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
I tested with T2, I don't have a T1. it found Gloucestershire, England no problem.

I reverted to using PC + sony reader software & side loading, for ease of navigation but another method is to use PC up the point where you have the book(s) at checkout ready to download, then switch to the reader browser for that last step. I think I tested that you can return a library book directly from the T2 / T3, also.
The T1 was the first to implement being able to check out ebooks from Overdrive. I have tried it, but I don't generally download directly to the reader. I can't speak for the ability to return books early from the reader, but I suspect it's similar to the T2/3. As you mention, Overdrive's recent redesign makes it a little inconvenient browsing directly from the reader. Since it's a full ADE mobile implementation, you can also download directly from Kobo, etc. which I occasionally do.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 AM   #66
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
well after a year of online Free Library Philadelphia membership from UK it seems they don't want me any longer
the login just stopped working - they have not had the courtesy to send a renew message, & when I hunt for how to renew, it's all USA only.
Their out of state form demands a valid zip code & they now state "there is no online payment option for out of state renewals" - send a $50 cheque", That is not going to work for UK to USA!

I have messaged them but it's a poor , discourteous show so far.
it was only after 3 days of seeing
"Your Library Card and PIN could not be validated at this time"
that it occurred to me to check how long I'd had the account.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
they have not had the courtesy to send a renew message
To the best of my knowledge they've never sent renewal notices, at least I never got one when I was using them.

Quote:
& when I hunt for how to renew, it's all USA only
It's possible they're following the route of some other US libraries and stopping out of the US cards. Most don't even do out of state. IIRC there was something a while back about publishers getting on OverDrive about geo-restrictions and libraries (I'll see if I can find what I read).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #68
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Geo restrictions are the plague of books and publishing. All these outdated copyright laws go against today's world and are completely out of touch with reality. They are a thing of 20th century and as a result a lot of people are losing money when they could be making lots more. It's plain and simple bad business.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I didn't know public libraries were a business...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:48 AM   #70
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that is possible yes. what bugged me most was the lack of communication .

I would have expected something like: your card is due for renewal, to renew.... OR unfortunately we are not renewing out of USA cards because....

that " cannot validate at this time" is an all purpose error message from overdrive - not helpful- I have seen it before when my UK library has been temporarily unavailable.

even just a "your card has now expired" login message would be more helpful than what I do get.
I tried a quick google search for libraries that still accept overseas applications but no joy. all that I found was way out of date.. My own local library is not too bad, but I did like having access also to a larger epub/overdrive one & I am happy to pay $50+ per year for that.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 AM   #71
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I didn't know public libraries were a business...
well I guess that they have to make ends meet, but that should mean an out of state customer paying $50 p.a. is better than an in-state one paying $ zero, unless there is a behind the scenes subsidy for in-state signups.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
well I guess that they have to make ends meet, but that should mean an out of state customer paying $50 p.a. is better than an in-state one paying $ zero, unless there is a behind the scenes subsidy for in-state signups.
There is, it is called your tax dollars.

Taxpayers enjoy the benefits of public services, and out-of-state people usually don't.

Granted, an out-of-state individual who pays $50 for the privilege is still contributing more to the library than a taxpayer whose money is spread all over the place, but my point had nothing to do with that issue at all.

I was merely pointing out, libraries aren't a business, and they don't need to make a profit. In fact, they seem to be happy running at a loss, which they tend to do.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:18 AM   #73
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
joining usa libraries from outside of USA ?

I wasn't referring specifically to libraries when I said bad business. I was talking about people who actually sell books ie publishers! As it was noted in the post above me out of state service was abolished because of the complaint of geo restrictions by those same publishers.
If the laws were more inline with the globalized world and the was no such thing as geo restrictions publishers could make a hell of a lot more money.
Similarly libraries could collect more funds from out of state members and those funds could be used for buying more books.
As I said bad business because of outdated laws.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 AM   #74
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Are you sure it doesn't work anymore? I think the info has always been the same. I have to ask by form every year (at least twice) how to do it from abroad. The first year,as they don't send a warning, I had tbe same problem, but in the end they sent me instructions by email. The answers weren't immediate, but I wan't expecting it either.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #75
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have a free library card there in my husband's name when they were issuing them for seniors free of charge, so not sure it will be the same situation in your case. Occasionally when I try to log in it will say invalid card, or can't find card, or card and PIN don't match, but it seems to be either a glitch in their system or they run maintenance and the messages just don't reflect that. When I try logging in again later, it will successfully log me in.

When I read your post, I thought they might have finally pulled all free or out-of-state cards (I'm pretty certain they no longer allow free cards for seniors for the last few years now). When I tried to log in I got the usual "not a valid free card" message. But I tried again a bit later and whew! successfully logged in.

You might try it again a bit later, even the next day to see if you didn't hopefully just run into their glitch or whatever it is that goes on when I get those invalid messages.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote