Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
[GUI Plugin] Save To Format

"Save To Format"—it's "Save to disk" on steroids!
Extending the default behaviour of "Save to disk" and making it more advanced user friendly.

If you are like me, you might not like default "Save to disk" export workflow:
1. I don't like I need to go into settings to change list of desired formats to save.
2. I don't like I need to convert to particular formats if they do not exist.
3. I don't like garbage in my library after conversion just for export.
4. I don't like I cannot add some default action and use it and forget it.

So, I made another plugin to be happy with. It might also serve you, if you want to:
1. ...be able to choose desired formats from dialogue or just click "OK" (selection is memorized!).
2. ...be able to forget if chosen format is not yet in the library, it will be auto-converted for you.
3. ...be able to configure default used location and last used formats and repeat saving/conversion as many times, as required.
4. ...be able to auto-convert books and preserve converted formats. Or remove them afterwards automatically and keep your library clean.
5. ...just use this plugin instead of default one, as you can choose any format you want from dialogue and skip auto conversion.

Yes, it's that fun!

User Guide
Spoiler:

Install plugin, choose books and click the icon in the toolbar. Or choose from menu:

"Save to formats...": will open format selection window, and after clicking "OK" saving directory dialogue will be presented. Afterwards conversion, saving and cleanup jobs will be triggered.

"Save favourite formats to favourite locations": will perform everything without prompting. Chosen formats from previous "Save to formats" will be used. The default directory and other settings set in the "Settings" window.

"Settings...": obvious, will open settings window.

"About...": will show short information about the plugin. Most important, its version.

NOTE! You cannot use plugin until saving/conversion jobs are not finished! You can try, but there will be no success!

Format choice window is quite simple and obvious:

After clicking "OK", chosen formats will be saved and pre-selected next time you open this window. Also, they will be used in favourite formats action.

Settings window is also simple and clean:

"Default directory to save": used in favourite saving action. Default is your home directory.

"Remove auto converted files": if checked, after saving auto converted format files will be removed from library. E.g. you have a MOBI book and you wanted to save MOBI and EPUB format. EPUB will be created automatically, saved and then removed. If you uncheck this tick mark, EPUB in this example won't be removed and will remain in the library. Two jobs at one time: conversion and saving!

"Automatically convert to missing format": if checked, as in example above, missing formats will be created for books not having them. If unchecked, no formats will be created. Plugin will behave like "Save to disk" except you can choose formats as required or use favourite promptless action.

"Default plugin action": choose the action, which will be performed by clicking plugin's icon in the toolbar. It is either "Promt Action" (interactive action), or the favourite saving, promptless, one.

Version history:
Spoiler:
Version 0.0.6 2015-02-08
Qt5 compatibility added.
New Saver API made compatible.

Version 0.0.5 2013-05-10
Fixed bug in saving, when no autoconversion checked and plugin stopped to work until Calibre restarted.

Version 0.0.4 2013-03-26
Shortened toolbar button label as per community requests.

Version 0.0.3 2013-03-17
Another minor fix with format choosing window.

Version 0.0.2 2013-03-13
Minor fix with "About" window title.

Version 0.0.1 2013-03-07
The very first version of the plugin.
Save desired book formats without caring if they are present or not. They will be made for you and cleaned up afterwards.
1. Saving by selecting formats and directory.
2. Saving with last formats to default directory.
3. Changing autoconversion and autodeletion options.
4. Choosing default GUI action.

[Direct links to PayPal re not allowed - MODERATOR]
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre-SaveToFormat.v0.0.6.zip (16.0 KB, 163474 views)

Last edited by SauliusP.; 02-08-2015 at 02:13 PM.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Attached image files for user guide illustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings-dialogue.png
Views:	16163
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	102512   Click image for larger version

Name:	choose-dialogue.png
Views:	16285
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	102513   Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.png
Views:	16018
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	102514   Click image for larger version

Name:	savetoformat.png
Views:	1359
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	102515  

Last edited by SauliusP.; 03-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Are you going to share it with us or just tease us with the pictures.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

I'm deeply sorry, I have requested to add it to the plugin index. Still waiting too. If you are eager to try it out, you might download ZIP file from the first post and install it manually.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
If you are eager to try it out, you might download ZIP file from the first post and install it manually.
Now that there is an attached zip file I'll give it a go.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
crocuta
crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.

Device: Pocketbook Aqua
Looks nice, but it doesn't convert files to Docx - it converts them to Mobi.
crocuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocuta View Post
Looks nice, but it doesn't convert files to Docx - it converts them to Mobi.
This plugin does not convert by itself, it uses Calibre's conversion capabilities. Calibre does not support conversion to DOCX, only from it.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Is there a maximum number of books this will work with at any one time?

Edit : I seem to have made Calibre unresponsive :eeks: Unless I've picked a few DRM'd books by mistake ! :sheepishlook:

Last edited by GeoffC; 01-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Is there a maximum number of books this will work with at any one time?

Edit : I seem to have made Calibre unresponsive :eeks: Unless I've picked a few DRM'd books by mistake ! :sheepishlook:

Hi,

Haven't tried with more than 50 books, but I believe it might not work properly with Calibre of 1.x.x versions.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
Hi,

Haven't tried with more than 50 books, but I believe it might not work properly with Calibre of 1.x.x versions.
Thanks - I was trying it out with 400+ books , and on Calibre 1.2.

Not to worry, I'll investigate other options....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've done some initial work on getting this to work with calibre 2.x and QT5. I still have one "issue" dealing with some of the new code for saving to the library (but should add that in my initial testing the new formats DID appear in my library).
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre-SaveToFormat.v0.0.6.zip (15.6 KB, 647 views)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Hi, I've updated the plugin to work with Calibre 2 and, respectively, Qt5. Thank you for your input.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #13
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Is there a way that hitting the main button will automatically use the 'Save favorite formats to favorite location' option? I'd love to be able to cut that extra step out.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #14
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Is there a way that hitting the main button will automatically use the 'Save favorite formats to favorite location' option?
Sure. Check plugin's "Settings" menu.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #15
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
I did that I set the default directory, then set the default action to favorite location and format (and chose the other options). I understood that the first time, I would have to choose what my favorite format was, but afterward it still kept asking me for location and format. I restarted Calibre, and it still asked me. I went back to settings to check, in case I hit cancel instead of ok, but it was as I put it.

I guess I'll try to uninstall and reinstall.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote