Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #211
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by leselysten View Post
  1. This is updated almost every day. What more would you need?
Well, there's a nice estimate of the number of orders shipped until now, and of those that will be shipped in the next two weeks - all fine. All that's missing is a way for individual buyers to know where they stand in this - like, what their order ranking is.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #212
The Great Null
The Great Null began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Exactly that. Simply posting "02/11/2017 15:15: Order up to XXX XXX have been shipped" and updating that regularly is much more useful than very generic if you preordered before 28th April your device might be shipped sometime between 23. october and 12. November.

It would also help if they sent info by mail, since they did sent delay alerts and self-congratulatury look how awesome remarkable is mails.

However I finally received message from DHL, so the wait is almost over.

Regarding forums and changelog, I am asking since their website seems still stuck in early promotion mode with little concrete information. They should really work on that, especially since they have supposedly shipped almost 20k devices.

Last edited by The Great Null; 11-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.
The Great Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:13 AM   #213
Lupin
Enthusiast
Lupin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Muse HD, ReMarkable
yeah, not optimal, but the schedule seems to be holding. They seem to ship nearly 6k units weekly, so preorders are shipped at the end of November.

I got mine couple of weeks ago. Haven't used it much for reading, all my books are in Muse. Have to try some nasty pdfs with it.

Otherwise it seems to be working fine, writing and drawing especially fine. I do not carry paper with me anymore, and this has replaced laptop for notes.

OCR would be nice, but with it comes the need to train it for your own handwriting style. Requires quite a bit UI changes and additions as well. That said, it is quite good even with the limitations. Reading requires search, I have plenty of technical references and search is a must. But I think they realize that themselves and it is coming in one of the updates.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #214
glasnost
Connoisseur
glasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW3, Kobo Aura H2O
Ordered 2017/4/21
Packaged in Hong Kong 2017/11/3
Delivered (USA) 2017/11/7

Excited to put it through its paces!
glasnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #215
glasnost
Connoisseur
glasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Would adding the future ability to use a portable keyboard via the USB support require additional hardware modification, or can it all be done via firmware/software update?

I WANTS TO READ MY EBOOKS AGAIN!
I asked this a while ago. They were having interface issues adding keyboard support to their interface. That said, it was on the list of things that the devs were interested in pursuing. It may be a no-go because of the UX focus on hand writing though.

That said: this is a full fledged linux device. Just need to add OTG suppport into the kernel, create a udev rule, and all of a sudden vim, emacs, etc. are viable.

RE: US Shipping - came via air from Hong Kong, no additional charges.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 AM   #216
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasnost View Post
Ordered 2017/4/21
Packaged in Hong Kong 2017/11/3
Delivered (USA) 2017/11/7

Excited to put it through its paces!
Good for you!

I ordered mine about three and a half months later, so I'm still waiting for the shipping notice.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #217
Klerelo
Klerelo began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable, Sony DPT-S1, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura H2O and One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Since this is a new company launching an untested product into the market, I have some doubts on the success.

The product lacks any retail distribution.

There are no eBook publisher backing this product as Kindle or Kobo.

There is no way to tell on the reliability of the product, since there are no third-party reviewer who have used this eReader.

I am taking a wait and see approach.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Even if the product lacks retail distribution, it is a great product and I think that retail will come later, when the company will solve its manufacturing issues (slow process).

I pre-ordered my reMarkable in November 2016 and have been using it for about a month now, very happy with the writing function which is totally amazing (no lag, no gap between the writing and the upper layer, unlike Wacom Cintiq and others) and quality of the display is... well, remarkable, compared to all other devices I own (incl. Sony DPT-S1).

Seriously, I don't care if no publisher is backing this device. I always enjoyed reading .epub books with no DRM and this device allows me to upload thousands of non-DRM .epub books I purchased and own (I am using Calibre to manage my ebooks library by the way).

"No third party reviewer"?...

I was skeptical, too, in the beginning, before receiving my device, but now, I am very happy with its performances and it was well worth the waiting. Of course, it is your right to not believe positive reviews of the products, but assuming that all reviewers are biased or paid by the reMarkable company is hurting those who show genuine appreciation of the product, like me.

Last edited by Klerelo; 11-15-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Klerelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:04 AM   #218
Philippe D.
Addict

What I am ready to believe is that this product will remain in a small portion of the market for e-ink device; they are not going to sell millions of units a year. But that is certainly not their plan - for at least some years, this kind of device will remain pretty expensive and will only be of interest to a small number of people. So, no retail distribution is not a big deal; what they need to do is make it so that, in the future, the delay between ordering it and obtaining it is very short. At the moment they are still filling preorders (mine was ordered in August and, if I read their schedule correctly, should ship this week or the next). In the future it can be expected that they will have some stock on hand, and be able to ship as soon as a unit is ordered.

As for reviews... the reviews I've seen so far seem fair to me - not hiding the problems, but pointing out the strong points.

I suppose the company wanted to make this first device to establish itself on this niche market, with the plan to later make others, possibly more accessible price-wise, or whatever. If their plan is to take over the ereader market, they are not doing it right - but I don't think that's their plan
Old 11-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #219
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
People also shouldn’t forget that these devices cost a lot of money to make. In this day and age, with expensive tablets and smartphones selling 50 million units a year, that a high-tech start-up can’t keep a large inventory. Even having 100 units in inventory is a €25.000 investment, at least.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #220
glasnost
Connoisseur

Initial thoughts:

writing, drawing - phenomenal.

inability to connect with hotspots, really dicey usb/web interface leads to many, many books not actually syncing, can't figure out how to 'read only' some pdfs -- these are definite frustrations. and the battery drain is extensive.

very excited about the promise in this device though. the responsiveness in stunning. and the base linux build means - in theory - a dev-oriented userbase could do incredible things with it.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #221
Philippe D.
Addict

Got my reMarkable today. I don't have time to try it tonight, though - I'll spend some time fiddling with it next weekend.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #222
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
I came across a mention of reMarkable a few months ago and took a look at their website. Having been burned in a number of Kickstarter projects I wasn't inclined send off a big chunk of money and hope it was a real device.

So last week I'm on a plane and the guy in front of me had one. I first asked if it was a reMarkable and he said it was and was surprised I'd heard of it. Then he let me play with it for a few minutes and I was sold.

Ordered one while we taxied to the gate (too cheap to pay for inflight WiFi).

I don't know how you pre-order guys survived the wait -- I want it yesterday

Does anybody know how it works with Calibre?
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #223
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Does anybody know how it works with Calibre?
Someone posted the calibre device detection log, and it looks like a no go. The USB connection is NOT a storage device; I think it's an IP based connection over USB.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #224
leselysten
Enthusiast
leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: reMarkable,Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Someone posted the calibre device detection log, and it looks like a no go. The USB connection is NOT a storage device; I think it's an IP based connection over USB.
Madness? This is Linux!

From the rM menu in the top left corner, select "About", then select "Copyrights and licenses" at top right. In the pane on the right you will find the following text:

"[...] this device acts as an USB ethernet device, and you can connect using the SSH protocol using the username 'root' and the password 'xxxxx'" (password masked here for privacy).

The command to connect is ssh root@10.11.99.1 with the tablet connected.

And now you can use all your linux skills and tools to implement a calibre interface. People are already figuring out how to hack this device. You can go here to access reMarkable's github repo and download the development environment for the device.

Last edited by leselysten; 11-23-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added info
leselysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #225
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by leselysten View Post
Madness? This is Linux!

From the rM menu in the top left corner, select "About", then select "Copyrights and licenses" at top right. In the pane on the right you will find the following text:

"[...] this device acts as an USB ethernet device, and you can connect using the SSH protocol using the username 'root' and the password 'xxxxx'" (password masked here for privacy).

The command to connect is ssh root@10.11.99.1 with the tablet connected.

And now you can use all your linux skills and tools to implement a calibre interface. People are already figuring out how to hack this device. You can go here to access reMarkable's github repo and download the development environment for the device.
Well, my interest in this ereader has just increased.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote