Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #1306
gear
gear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I recently started getting this error message after failing to connect my kobo touch. Mind, it’s still mounted, but Calibre can’t come to grips with it. I suspect this is due to the recent firmware update…

via KoboTouch driver:
Code:
calibre, version 3.3.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1874, in books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1749, in get_bookshelvesforbook
  File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

via KoboTouchExtended extended:
Code:
calibre, version 3.3.0

File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1749, in get_bookshelvesforbook
So I was wondering how I can get this to work again? Reset to factory settings?
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #1307
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear View Post
Hi, I recently started getting this error message after failing to connect my kobo touch. Mind, it’s still mounted, but Calibre can’t come to grips with it. I suspect this is due to the recent firmware update…

via KoboTouch driver:
Code:
calibre, version 3.3.0

via KoboTouchExtended extended:
Code:
calibre, version 3.3.0

So I was wondering how I can get this to work again? Reset to factory settings?
The database on your Kobo is corrupt. You could restore the last good database Kobo Utilities backed up or you could log out and log back in to fix the database. But with the second method, you'd have to reinstall all of your eBooks. With the first method, you'd have to reinstall all of the eBooks you've installed since then and delete all you've deleted since then.

I use the Reading list plugin to keep track of what's on my H2O. It can automatically set or unset a custom field to let you know what eBooks you have on your device.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-13-2017 at 01:49 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #1308
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually a logout / logon does not delete sideloaded books from the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #1309
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually a logout / logon does not delete sideloaded books from the device.
No, but ti does lose your reading positions, all metadata, shelves, etc.

Depending on the size if the library, the kobo may take a while to rescan the books and regenerate some of the metadata.

Calibre can then be used to both manually and automatically restore more metadata.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #1310
gear
gear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I did a factory reset (after copying the annotations of not-kobo ebooks rather manually), and this solved the problem.

Well, except that I found out there’s a vertical area of the touchscreen for which the touch function doesn’t work anymore and this prevents me from entering a certain array of letters I need for passwords and such. No more wifi for me, I guess.
But that’s another problem not remotely related to this plugin, so… yeah.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #1311
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I think the kobo touch uses an infrared sensor to detect finger position.
If there's a section of the screen that isn't sensitive anymore, then maybe the sensors are blocked by dirt. Try using a microfiber cloth and clean the edges; move in one direction from corner to corner along each of the four edges and try to move all the dirt to a corner and out of the space between the screen and the raised edge.

After that, it may immediately start working, or you might have to reboot the kobo so that it recalibrates the sensor.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #1312
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Marvin 3 on iPad/iPhone
Updating date last read on Kobo?

I just bought a Kobo (previously using old Kindle Paperwhite) and discovered this great plugin. Thanks so much for providing such useful functionality! I'm struggling a little to understand exactly how it works with respect to date last read, and was hoping someone could clarify. I have side-loaded about 300 books from calibre onto the Kobo, and in calibre about half of them already have a "last read" date set. I have configured the Kobo Utilities plugin to use that column. I manually updated the percent read column to 100% and the reading status on the Kobo to Finished using this plugin. Now when I plug in the Kobo, I get the expected box up saying it's queuing books to update reading position. Then when I get the list of books, in addition to the ones I've actually been reading, it seems to also give me the list of books I've already read, with the indication that it wants to change the date read from its existing value (correct) to a new value of blank. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to keep my existing date read values. All help gratefully received.
rjh4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #1313
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What options did you set for "Store on connect" in the plugin configuration? You need to have the "Only if more recent" and "Not if finished in library". It sounds like you don't have these set.

The other possibility is, how did you set the reading status on the device? Did you use the update metadata option, or the Store/Restore function. If you used the update metadata option, then depending on the options, the date won't be set, and can be cleared. For the Store/Restore function, it can set the date to whatever you have in the calibre library, or to the date when you ran the restore.

If this is all OK, I'd need to see a debug log to see what is happening. To do this, restart calibre in debug mode by right-clicking on the preferences button and choosing restart in debug mode option. When calibre restarts, connect the device and let the job run. When finished, close calibre and the log will be displayed. Post the contents or PM them to me to look at.

Edit:

Another thought is the date and time on both the computer and device need to be reasonably close. A mismatch in timezone might also cause problems.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-22-2017 at 08:22 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #1314
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question

After upgrading my KA1 to firmware 4.5.9587 the following error occurs when i try to connect the device with calibre:
Code:
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf5 in position 18: invalid start byte

File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1856, in books
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf5 in position 18: invalid start byte
i can normally connect with the standard driver.
so what can i do to get the extended Driver back to work?
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #1315
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Pan View Post
After upgrading my KA1 to firmware 4.5.9587 the following error occurs when i try to connect the device with calibre:
Code:
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf5 in position 18: invalid start byte

File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1856, in books
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf5 in position 18: invalid start byte
i can normally connect with the standard driver.
so what can i do to get the extended Driver back to work?
That's an error reading the database. It is in the KoboTouch driver and will affect the extended driver. It's trying to decode one of the strings in the metadata in the database and means that one of the metadata items is an invalid UTF8 string. I haven't seen this reported very often and I think the solution was to remove the book that caused it. If this has only just happened, it will be one of the recently added books.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #1316
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think the solution was to remove the book that caused it. If this has only just happened, it will be one of the recently added books.
don't added new books before the reader update.
i first updated the firmware and wanted to add new books afterwards, just in case something went wrong...
what puzzles me is, i can add books and look into the reader storage using the normal KoboTouch Driver, only the extended Driver gives the error and shows 0 books.
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #1317
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Pan View Post
don't added new books before the reader update.
i first updated the firmware and wanted to add new books afterwards, just in case something went wrong...
what puzzles me is, i can add books and look into the reader storage using the normal KoboTouch Driver, only the extended Driver gives the error and shows 0 books.
I misunderstood something in the previous post. You get that error when using the KoboTouchExtended driver but not the built-in KoboTouch driver? Because of how the driver reach that line, I can't think of how that is possible. Could you produce the debug log using the KoboTouchExtended driver and post that so I can look at. Maybe I can see what is happening.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #1318
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What options did you set for "Store on connect" in the plugin configuration? You need to have the "Only if more recent" and "Not if finished in library". It sounds like you don't have these set.
Thanks for your quick reply. You were quite right I had not set the options for "Only if more recent" and "Not if finished in library". Now I have them set, it is working well.

Last edited by rjh4242; 07-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #1319
rjh4242
Enthusiast

Kobo and Calibre libraries out of sync

Hi again
I've been gradually loading my calibre library (4500 books) onto my Kobo H2O's micro SD card. Obviously this has been taking some time, and I've been doing it in batches of 100-150 books. I thought I had succeeded, with all the books on the Kobo, but this morning when I plugged it into my laptop and checked calibre I found that there are 1500 or so books that calibre is reporting as not on my Kobo's SD card, and a similar number on the SD card that calibre says are not in my calibre library. Clearly something weird happened with matching books from one to the other, since they were all originally sourced from calibre. I've looked to see if i can figure out any commonalities between the unmatched books but haven't come up with anything. Many are in series, and I'm using a plugboard to put the series in the title, so i wondered if that was it, but many books in series are matched, and some books not in series are not matched.

I've now given up figuring out how the problem happened, and I just want to fix it. So my question is: is there a quick way to match them all up, or should I just delete the unmatched books from the Kobo and try to load them all again? I know I could match them one at a time using the match book function, but that's too hard given 1500 books to do!

Thoughts welcome (and if you can suggest how the issue might have happened so I can avoid it happening in future that would be even better!)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #1320
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you want 4500 books on the go?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities