Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: how do you feel about perl jam?
mmmmmm it's delicious! 8 57.14%
uhhh, i'm not gay. (sorry, ladies) 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #31
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
Huzzah! Finally got it to work.

I don't know what I did, except use Telnet on Windows after resetting my Kindle. Other than that, I used the exact same commands I did last time. Happy to finally get it to work!

Last edited by sjheiss; 02-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #33
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
What would one have to do to get a module like Fcntl to work on the Kindle?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

EDIT: No, XSLoader fails for some reason.

Code:
/mnt/us/www/cgi-bin$ ./poll.cgi
[Sun Feb 19 18:28:47 2012] poll.cgi: Can't load '/opt/perl/lib/perl/auto/Fcntl/Fcntl.so' for module Fcntl: /opt/perl/lib/perl/auto/Fcntl/Fcntl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /opt/perl/lib/perl/XSLoader.pm line 70.
[Sun Feb 19 18:28:47 2012] poll.cgi:  at /opt/perl/lib/perl/Fcntl.pm line 215
[Sun Feb 19 18:28:47 2012] poll.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/perl/lib/perl/Fcntl.pm line 216.
[Sun Feb 19 18:28:47 2012] poll.cgi: Compilation failed in require at ./poll.cgi line 4.
[Sun Feb 19 18:28:47 2012] poll.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./poll.cgi line 4.
I don't need it, but Perl feels less complete without it.

Last edited by sjheiss; 02-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
@twobob: Didn't you need perl for something?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi Yep. spent quite a bit of time building up some supporting libraries IIRC too.

I note that much of that work has now been mirrored in the main Buildroot tree, so perl and a few other interpreters build as standard with some supporting extensions.

There is a little bit of make fiddling required to make it perfect on FAT but it's doable.
AFAICR it's all still installed on my 3. More people should be grabbing down buildroot and having a play IMHO. it's fun : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #36
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hi Yep. spent quite a bit of time building up some supporting libraries IIRC too.
I note that much of that work has now been mirrored in the main Buildroot tree, so perl and a few other interpreters build as standard with some supporting extensions.
There is a little bit of make fiddling required to make it perfect on FAT but it's doable.
AFAICR it's all still installed on my 3. More people should be grabbing down buildroot and having a play IMHO. it's fun : )
I would, If had time..... I also need to write the k3flasher noobs guide...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I rebuilt this again.

expects to live in /mnt/us/extensions/perl

[root@kindle root]# export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/bin
[root@kindle root]# perl --version

Quote:
This is perl, v5.10.0 built for armv6l-linux

Copyright 1987-2007, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
(probably runs on everything)

[root@kindle root]# perl -V
Quote:
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 10 subversion 0) configuration:
Platform:
osname=linux, osvers=2.6.26-rt-lab126, archname=armv6l-linux
uname='linux dev 3.2.0-35-generic #55-ubuntu smp wed dec 5 17:45:18 utc 2012 armv7l gnulinux '
config_args='-Dprefix=/mnt/us/extensions/perl -Dvendorprefix=/mnt/us/extensions/perl -Dman1dir=/mnt/us/extensions/perl/share/man/man1 -Dman3dir=/mnt/us/extensions/perl/share/man/man3 -Duseshrplib -Dpager=/usr/bin/less'
hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
useithreads=undef, usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=define, d_sfio=undef, uselargefiles=define, usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef, use64bitall=undef, uselongdouble=undef
usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
Compiler:
cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
optimize='-O2',
cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='4.3.2', gccosandvers=''
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=8
ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
alignbytes=8, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='cc', ldflags ='-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/system/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib'
libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
libs=-lgdbm -lgdbm_compat -ldb -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
perllibs=-ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
libc=/lib/libc-2.7.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
gnulibc_version='2.7'
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/system/usr/lib -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/lib/5.10.0/armv6l-linux/CORE'
cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/system/usr/lib -shared -O2 -L/usr/local/lib'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
Compile-time options: PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV PERL_MALLOC_WRAP
USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO
Built under linux
Compiled at Nov 10 2013 23:43:28
@INC:
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/lib/5.10.0/armv6l-linux
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/lib/5.10.0
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/lib/site_perl/5.10.0/armv6l-linux
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/usr/lib/site_perl/5.10.0
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/lib/vendor_perl/5.10.0/armv6l-linux
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/lib/vendor_perl/5.10.0
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/lib/vendor_perl
/mnt/us/extensions/perl/addons
Attached Files
File Type: zip perl-kindle3-and-beyond-KUAL-DUMMY.zip (11.88 MB, 325 views)

Last edited by twobob; 11-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #38
nandushines
nandushines began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard with wifi
Hi twobob,

I tried your perl build on some test scripts which when run complain about missing modules such as autodie.

How can I add missing modules?

Maybe I need to build them. Can you give me some pointers to set up a compilation chain?

Thanks!
nandushines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandushines View Post
Hi twobob,

I tried your perl build on some test scripts which when run complain about missing modules such as autodie.

How can I add missing modules?

Maybe I need to build them. Can you give me some pointers to set up a compilation chain?

Thanks!
twobob has not been around for awhile.

But since it is a complete Perl system install, I assume just using the Perl CPAN repo should do the trick -
Perl will detect and compile anything that needs compiling.

I.E: The same way you add modules to any other Perl installation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #40
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Kindle Legacy Collections Manager on Perl

Do you think we can run this script for Collection Manager? It is declared to work on Kindle 3, but it probably can work on 4NT, DX, also (not on touch screen ones).
It is written for Linux/Mac, but since we have Perl working on Kindle, why not try it?

How does it work (initially designed to be run from a PC):
1) Connect Kindle to PC and put folders with books into %kindle_root%/documents/ ;
2) Run the code:
Code:
./kindle-make-collection /mnt/Kindle
3) Folder names will become Collections' names. Sorting is done by the date the books are edited (collections with newer books on top).

That would be just great if we could do that on Kindle (autorun after USB disconnect? Dreams, dreams..)

Credits for the original script go to Alex Efros aka powerman from the-ebook.org.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-make-collection.zip (801 Bytes, 238 views)

Last edited by mergen3107; 04-26-2017 at 03:24 AM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Librarian Sync already does that.
(See what happens when you bump a three year old thread?)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #42
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I think I was always skipping it because it does not state clearly whether it works with Legacy Kindles.
So does it work?
Technically, I see that it is a KUAL extension, and I know that K4, for instance, has KUAL working. However, the methods of managing Collections are different on Legacy Kindles. For example, it was already a new one for Kindle Touch.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Thank you! I think I was always skipping it because it does not state clearly whether it works with Legacy Kindles.
So does it work?
Technically, I see that it is a KUAL extension, and I know that K4, for instance, has KUAL working. However, the methods of managing Collections are different on Legacy Kindles. For example, it was already a new one for Kindle Touch.
The are both human readable scripts, compare what they do.

The thing you are looking for is the form and format of the sqlite3 database commands.
The fact that one is written in Perl and one in Python does not make a difference, only the form and format of the db commands.

IIRC, the only change was when Amazon dropped support for nested collections and reused that record field to indicate 'cloud' collections.

Another point in favor of testing or updating our script -
There is a serious shortage of maintainers here, we can not take on supporting some other site's script.
If you must use that Perl script, you will have to get your help from that author/that site.

Last edited by knc1; 04-26-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #44
mergen3107
Wizard

Thank you knc1!
That explains something.
I'll give Librarian Sync a try soon on Kindle 4.

Tags
fbdev, kindle tools