Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Delete Orphaned Files on Device

I made some metadata (title, author, etc.) changes in Calibre to some books, and I re-added those books to my Nook to update the metadata for those books on my Nook, thinking Calibre would delete the file corresponding to the old metadata/filename/etc. and replace it with the new, but now my device has two files, corresponding to the old and new metadata. It seems the files corresponding to the old metadata have been orphaned. Is that true? Can Calibre delete these orphaned, old-metadata files? thanks
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I made some metadata (title, author, etc.) changes in Calibre to some books, and I re-added those books to my Nook to update the metadata for those books on my Nook, thinking Calibre would delete the file corresponding to the old metadata/filename/etc. and replace it with the new, but now my device has two files, corresponding to the old and new metadata. It seems the files corresponding to the old metadata have been orphaned. Is that true? Can Calibre delete these orphaned, old-metadata files? thanks
Switch from Library view to device view.
After the job wheel has stopped, the ones without Tick Marks are the ones Calibre did not match up with the current library (caution: there are many reasons, including the one you gave).

Select and delete.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Switch from Library view to device view.
After the job wheel has stopped, the ones without Tick Marks are the ones Calibre did not match up with the current library (caution: there are many reasons, including the one you gave).
I don't have any entries without tick marks, but I still have duplicate formats (with old and new metadata, respectively) for each book…

Calibre doesn't have a feature to delete duplicated books? I seem to remember there was an add-on for that.

thanks

Last edited by Geremia; 08-23-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have any entries without tick marks, but I still have duplicate books.

Calibre doesn't have a feature to delete duplicated books? I seem to remember there was an add-on for that.

thanks
True (detected) duplicate books on the device show as (2 books) next to the tick in the 'On Device' column. Click the column header to sort those together
Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I don't have any entries without tick marks, but I still have duplicate books.

thanks
An Orphan is a book that has no (longer a) matching record in Calibre.
Duplicates are the same book (ID)
Doubles (I made this name up) are 2 different copies of the same title

There is a Find Duplicates PI that will help locate these in you Library

I know if you right click a title in the regular Library view, Delete offers you choices , I don't remember seeing those options in find duplicates

Last edited by theducks; 08-23-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos fixed
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Geremia
Addict

auto-deleting duplicates

Quote:
An Orphan is a book that has no (longer a) matching record in Calibre.
Okay, so I'm not talking about orphans.
Quote:
Duplicates are the same book (ID)
I think this is what I'm talking about. By "duplicate" you mean the files intrinsically are the same (would have the same checksum) but are named different and/or have different metadata associated with them?
Quote:
Doubles (I made this name up) are 2 different copies of the same title
Yes, detecting and deleting everything of the same title would be the easiest way to do what I'm trying to accomplish.
Quote:
There is a Find Duplicates PI that will help locate these in you Library
I thought so; I'll have to re-find it.
Quote:
I know if you right click a title in the regular Library view, Delete offers you choices , I don't remember seeing those options in find duplicates
Yes, I know I can do it manually, but it seems Calibre would be able to tell when there're 2 (or more) of the same format for a duplicate book. Or, better, realize that the metadata has changed and delete the old files and directory structure of the device corresponding to the book with the old metadata.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
True (detected) duplicate books on the device show as (2 books) next to the tick in the 'On Device' column. Click the column header to sort those together
That won't work for me because I have some books in multiple formats, so I can't distinguish between, e.g., 2 books in an entry being two different formats (which I don't want to delete) or two of the same formats (which I do want to delete).
thanks, though
Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
That won't work for me because I have some books in multiple formats, so I can't distinguish between, e.g., 2 books in an entry being two different formats (which I don't want to delete) or two of the same formats (which I do want to delete).
thanks, though
Sure you can, the delete action pops up a confirmation dialog that shows the full path tot he files being deleted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure you can, the delete action pops up a confirmation dialog that shows the full path tot he files being deleted.
Yes, for an individual record, but I'm looking for an automated way of doing it for all duplicates in the whole library. I'll have to look for that plugin mentioned here. thanks

Tags
metadata, update books, upload