Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
WSJ on Apple Ebook Pricing Strategy

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...hatsNewsSecond

Quote:
Apple's business model for books, which the company has kept under tight wraps, shifts the focus away from the bargain-basement prices Amazon has made popular, according to publishers that have met directly with the company. Apple is asking publishers to set two e-book price points for hardcover best sellers: $12.99 and $14.99, with fewer titles offered at $9.99. In setting their own e-book prices, publishers would avoid the threat of heavy discounting. Apple would take a 30% cut of the book price, with publishers receiving the remaining 70%.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
One would hope that programs (hacks?) would surface allowing for reading DeDrm'ed content and otherwise public domain, or privately published books.

One would hope.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
One would hope that programs (hacks?) would surface allowing for reading DeDrm'ed content and otherwise public domain, or privately published books.

One would hope.
I pretty much have lost hope with this announcement. Of course there will be many of us on the outside looking in, but I think Apple are about to write the story of all future entertainment and it's not open or shared or available to all. It's the same old, same old. As it was, so shall it be.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I pretty much have lost hope with this announcement. Of course there will be many of us on the outside looking in.
Are we now discussing the recent US Supreme Court judgment on unlimited Corporate Personhood?

If so, I agree!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Are we now discussing the recent US Supreme Court judgment on unlimited Corporate Personhood?

If so, I agree!
That too. That was a horrible, horrible announcement. I had a real shiver going up my back when I heard about that.
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
It would be nice if Apple took the same stance with books as they eventually have with music.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

One would hope.
Is there anything that leads you to believe that a "hack" is going to be necessary for that? Apple's devices have always had open support for users loading their own content - eg, music, photographs, and video. Why should books be an exception?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I pretty much have lost hope with this announcement. Of course there will be many of us on the outside looking in, but I think Apple are about to write the story of all future entertainment and it's not open or shared or available to all. It's the same old, same old. As it was, so shall it be.
Not at all. If this is really their scheme, I think e-book sales will disappoint on the device. At least, fiction/nonfiction, textbooks may do well.

First of all, what of the Kindle app for iPhone? Books will be cheaper via Amazon and presumably the iPhone app will also work on the tablet, and if it doesn't it's a pretty transparent cash grab by Apple--which will not be greeted well by e-reader enthusiasts who've bought Kindle books.

People are not going to buy a device more expensive than Kindle that doesn't have a free data plan so they can buy more expensive books. Color and extras only go so far when you're charging as much as sales prices for first-run hardcovers.

Last edited by Teddman; 01-27-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Not at all. If this is really their scheme, I think e-book sales will disappoint on the device. At least, fiction/nonfiction, textbooks may do well.

First of all, what of the Kindle app for iPhone? Books will be cheaper via Amazon and presumably the iPhone app will also work on the tablet, and if it doesn't it's a pretty transparent cash grab by Apple--which will not be greeted well by e-reader enthusiasts who've bought Kindle books.

People are not going to buy a device more expensive than Kindle that doesn't have a free data plan so they can buy more expensive books. Color and extras only go so far when you're charging as much as sales prices for first-run hardcovers.
If i already had the Apple tablet i might pay a small premium for nice colour covers but I am talking a small premium! maybe 5%.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That too. That was a horrible, horrible announcement. I had a real shiver going up my back when I heard about that.
Not living in US, i haven't heard about that. That is it about ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Not living in US, i haven't heard about that. That is it about ?
A few years back Senator McCain got a bill passed that restricted the free speech of people to join together and pay for political ads. The supreme court just overturned that law on the basis of free speech. The court said that individuals and groups had the right to spend their money to express their viewpoint, even in the 30-90 days before an election. Pretty basic really, and the McCain law was obviously unconstitutional to begin with. It was just a matter of time until it was struck down. I disagree with many groups and their ads, but of course support their right to exist and express their opinion.

On the actual topic of the thread...... If this is true, I really don't know why anyone would pay a $3 or more premium just to get books from Apple. Then again, consumers have done stranger things in the past.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post

On the actual topic of the thread...... If this is true, I really don't know why anyone would pay a $3 or more premium just to get books from Apple. Then again, consumers have done stranger things in the past.....
I think it depends if you read relatively few books say 5 to 10 a year and you had the tablet and the only way to get a book on was via iTunes which you already have an account for or to download kindle app and set up an account.

no doubt some people(The majority of casual readers?) will be happy to pay that small premium of say $15 to $30 dollars a year.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I think it depends if you read relatively few books say 5 to 10 a year and you had the tablet and the only way to get a book on was via iTunes which you already have an account for or to download kindle app and set up an account.

no doubt some people(The majority of casual readers?) will be happy to pay that small premium of say $15 to $30 dollars a year.
Good point, their intended market are not "hard core" readers, and so what you say makes perfect sense. I guess Apple knows what they are doing.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

The problem with this theory is that are there really that many people who don't already have an account with Amazon? If you already have an account with Amazon how much effort does it take to download an app and start buying cheaper books? Don't underestimate the effort some people will put into saving a couple of bucks. How many people have you known that will describe with great glee that they drove miles out of their way to save a couple of cents a gallon on gas?
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I suspect that Apple's ebooks will be an extension of their ``LP'' format, so will be multi-media things w/ nice covers / icons, possibly sound bites from the author, or copies of TV / radio spots advertising the book, more ads for other books in the series, &c.

Apple will sell books because books purchased from other sources won't integrate into the UI as nicely and won't have the same nice cover &c.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote