Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Nook app crashes when book opened from CC

I have a book that causes a crash to the home screen when I try to open it with the Nook app from within CC on an iPad running iOS 11. I removed the book from CC [it took 4 tries to remove it because when I tapped the book on the CC shelf, CC would crash to the home screen], went back into Calibre and converted the book from EPUB to EPUB like had worked before with another book, and reinstalled it in CC. When I tell CC to open it with the Nook app, the Nook app still crashes to the home screen after beginning to open the book.

This is a B&N book. The reason I am using this round about method is when I try to open it with the Nook app by itself, the app crashes to the home screen. I have tried every thing B&N support has told me to try, sometimes twice, including reinstalling the Nook app. I gave up and decided to go the CC route like had worked with other B&N books that would not open with their own app.

The same book opens fine in the Nook app by itself and in the Nook app when opened from within CC on in iPhone running the same iOS. Additionally, when I try to open the book from within CC on the iPad using the iBook, Marvin and Read apps, it opens fine.

I have had five books not open using B&N's own app. CC has been my fall back to get a book to open with that app. Why would the same book, moved over from Calibre within minutes of each other, cause CC to crash and cause the Nook app to crash when the book is opened from within CC on one iOS device and work fine on another iOS device?
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
I have a book that causes a crash to the home screen when I try to open it with the Nook app from within CC on an iPad running iOS 11. I removed the book from CC [it took 4 tries to remove it because when I tapped the book on the CC shelf, CC would crash to the home screen], went back into Calibre and converted the book from EPUB to EPUB like had worked before with another book, and reinstalled it in CC. When I tell CC to open it with the Nook app, the Nook app still crashes to the home screen after beginning to open the book.

This is a B&N book. The reason I am using this round about method is when I try to open it with the Nook app by itself, the app crashes to the home screen. I have tried every thing B&N support has told me to try, sometimes twice, including reinstalling the Nook app. I gave up and decided to go the CC route like had worked with other B&N books that would not open with their own app.

The same book opens fine in the Nook app by itself and in the Nook app when opened from within CC on in iPhone running the same iOS. Additionally, when I try to open the book from within CC on the iPad using the iBook, Marvin and Read apps, it opens fine.

I have had five books not open using B&N's own app. CC has been my fall back to get a book to open with that app. Why would the same book, moved over from Calibre within minutes of each other, cause CC to crash and cause the Nook app to crash when the book is opened from within CC on one iOS device and work fine on another iOS device?
In calibre try the editor and fix all the errors in the epub. Though if I had to guess as cc is also crashing something in the metadata of the book is wrong.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

I went into the editor and tried to repair. The first type of error is where a font does not have the right name. I tell Calibre to fix it and it stays the same. The second error I am even more lost in:

stylesheet.css (line: 87 column: 3)

This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else.

Line 87 says this:
-webkit-text-fill-color: rgb(255, 102, 0);

I'm guessing the column 3 refers to the last number, but I don't know what to replace it with.

This should probably be moved to the Calibre forum but I don't know how to do that.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
tas03
Zealot

This is the first error:

page_style1:css

The font family name specified in the CSS @font-face rule: "Shift Light" does not match the font name inside the actual font file: "Shift Bold Italic". This can cause problems in some viewers. You should change the CSS font name to match the actual font name.

I told Change the font name Shift Light to Shift Bold Italic everywhere, but nothing changed.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
This is the first error:

page_style1:css

The font family name specified in the CSS @font-face rule: "Shift Light" does not match the font name inside the actual font file: "Shift Bold Italic". This can cause problems in some viewers. You should change the CSS font name to match the actual font name.

I told Change the font name Shift Light to Shift Bold Italic everywhere, but nothing changed.
I am not an expert on the calibre editor maybe you should post your question in the calibre editor or format epub sub forum where someone would be able help you.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
tas03
Zealot

Will do
Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also install the epubcheck plugin and use that with the Calibre editor to check for errors and to fix anything that comes up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote