Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty View Post
It works well on my recipe for BBC Chinese (http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/indepth/index.xml)

Spoiler:

Code:
class AdvancedUserRecipe1277443634(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'BBC Chinese'
    oldest_article = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100

feeds          = [
	#(u'\u4e3b\u9875', u'http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/index.xml'), 
	#(u'\u5206\u6790\u8bc4\u8bba', u'http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/indepth/index.xml')
	]
    extra_css = '''
    	@font-face {font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;  src: url(res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf); }\n
	body {margin-right: 8pt; font-family: 'DroidFont', serif;}
                    h1 {font-family: 'DroidFont', serif, sans-serif}
            '''
    __author__            = 'rty'
    __version__            = '1.0'
    language = 'zh-HANS'
    pubisher  = 'British Broadcasting Corporation'
    description           = 'BBC news in Chinese'
    category              = 'News, Chinese'
    remove_javascript = True
    use_embedded_content   = False
    no_stylesheets = True
    encoding               = 'UTF-8'
    conversion_options = {'linearize_tables':True} 
    masthead_url = 'http://wscdn.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/images/1024/brand.jpg'
    keep_only_tags = [
                              dict(name='h1'),
                              dict(name='p', attrs={'class':['primary-topic','summary']}),
                              dict(name='div', attrs={'class':['bodytext','datestamp']}), 
                              ]

But there's still some problem on the XML Feed page. Please look at the first photo. Look at the ??????? characters on the article summary/description lines in the XML feed page. The article itself is fine.

From what I observed, the problem only happens on XML Feed page with UTF-8 encoding.

Any idea how to solve this?
Spoiler:

did you try this?

- open the epub file with zip tool and find the .css file in it
- search all "font-family:" part and replace the font behind it with the font you have defined
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
ctos, he is not talking about epub files I am afraid, looks like he is talking about RSS feeds, so not sure if you can open the epub and change the .css file. BTW, thank you so much for your original post for the .css file, I used that and compiled a Chinese epub book and took the microSD card into the B&N store and tried on their display unit, the Chinese book looked awesome (I still had to manually select one font I believe), the built in font itself looks much better than what I see on my Astak mentor which officially supports Chinese. I just ordered a wifi only Nook for $150 and feel it is a bargain. I like the nook's screen much better than other devices - I tried several Chinese brands before, really dont like the quality they are made with.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #18
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
After I manually changed the stylesheet.css in the generated EPUB, it works fine. Here's what it looks in the Nook screen after I manually override the font-family.

The cause of the problem is in the STYLESHEET.CSS of the news EPUB generated by Calibre. The section ".articledescription" has been hardcoded with "font-family : SANS" and Calibre seems to ignore the EXTRA_CSS of news recipe where I used in order to replace the font-family of this particular section. It should be like this:

Code:
.articledescription {font-family: 'DroidFont', serif;}
I have submitted a bug ticket and I hope it will be fixed in the next Calibre version.

Related discussion: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2204

Last edited by rty; 06-26-2010 at 06:25 AM.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
ctos, he is not talking about epub files I am afraid, looks like he is talking about RSS feeds, so not sure if you can open the epub and change the .css file. BTW, thank you so much for your original post for the .css file, I used that and compiled a Chinese epub book and took the microSD card into the B&N store and tried on their display unit, the Chinese book looked awesome (I still had to manually select one font I believe), the built in font itself looks much better than what I see on my Astak mentor which officially supports Chinese. I just ordered a wifi only Nook for $150 and feel it is a bargain. I like the nook's screen much better than other devices - I tried several Chinese brands before, really dont like the quality they are made with.
Hi Sylver, yes, you can open the EPUB file and change the .css file. EPUB is actually a ZIP file. All you need to do is just rename the EPUB file extension to ZIP and you can use Winzip to extract the stylesheet.CSS file to view and edit.

Btw, do you guys have any Chinese news/magazine websites with RSS feed to recommend? Thanks.

Last edited by rty; 06-26-2010 at 07:17 AM.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
mlam00
mlam00 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
ctos can you send me an example file as well? tried it on my nook and it did not work. thanks!
mlam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
planet_dwarf
planet_dwarf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi ctos,

With your advises, I can read chinese ebooks, epub conversion via Calibre, with the correct fonts now. But, can you advise the approach to change the coding of some ebooks of mine which are coded originally in simplified chinese fonts, but I would much prefer to read in traditional chinese characters. If that would not be too troublesome, please advise how to switch from one coding to the Big 5 code. I'm at loss there.

Thanks
planet_dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
I'm struggling with this.

I put:

@font-face { font-family: "Trado"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/font/trado.ttf);
}
@font-face { font-family: "Trado"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/font/tradbdo.ttf);
}
body { font-family: "Trado", serif;
}

But it didn't work.
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Almakos
Almakos has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Touch
Chinese epub books work on Nook Touch without any rooting !!!

finally got it to work (I needed to run chinese books on my Nook STR)

I am using Calibre on mac
so in Preferences->Common Options-> Look & Feel
I've pasted this:
Code:
@font-face { 
font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif; 
font-weight: normal; 
font-style: normal;
src: url('res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf'); 
} 
@font-face { 
font-weight: bold; 
font-style: normal; 
} 
@font-face { 
font-weight: normal; 
font-style: italic; 
} 
@font-face { 
font-weight: bold; 
font-style: italic; 
} 
body { 
   margin-right: 8pt; 
   font-family: 'DroidFont', serif; 
}
taken from here http://nookdevs.com/Font_Changes

there is a wizard icon in front of font sizes I've used that wizard and applied some kind of default and set Input character encoding to UTF-8 for some reason

next I dropped epub files to my calibre library and bulk re-encoded them with my new setting and sent to Nook

next opened my chinese books from nook and characters were all messed up, I entered menu where you manage font styles and sizes and checked Use Publisher Default and finally book is perfectly readable

Thank you guys for your help, I was desperate and already bought a card to root my Nook. seems rooting will wait )))
Almakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Hedaya
Connoisseur

please can anyone help me with Arabic fonts? :S
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
Almakos
Almakos has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
please can anyone help me with Arabic fonts? :S
does arabic fonts work in the library view of your nook?
'cause probably procedure is same with chinese.
Almakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #26
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Library view, you mean when the books are just listed there? Not currently.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
Hedaya
Connoisseur

But I was thinking the same thing: the procedure must be the same. I can't imagine it working with Chinese and not Arabic.