Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
ctringal
ctringal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How to rent library eBooks for the Nook

Hello,

I just got a Nook and am trying to find a way to loan and download eBooks from a library so that I dont have to keep buying books I will only read once. I have heard that the New York Public library has a lot of eBook options, does anyone know of any other libraries? Also, does anyone know how to go about renting a book and which format it needs to be in so that I can read it on my nook?

Thanks,
Christine
ctringal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Go to the Overdrive website, they have a locator you can use to find libraries within your area by Zip Code. You will also need to download and install the free Overdrive software to borrow ebooks from the library. I have used this quite extensively since getting my nook, most libraries will allow you to check out up to 10 ebooks at a time for up to 21 days. You can also browse their ebook collection and put hold on books you wish to check out. You'll get an e-mail when they are available and typically you have three days to download the ebook before it goes to the next person in the que...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is the link, and I believe you want the epub format.

You can download the free software you need directly from you local libary.

If you have a library card, go online and check out your libary's selection of ebooks.

http://search.overdrive.com/

Good luck.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-10-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot link
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Just a clarification for the Original Poster, you will need a valid library card for any public library you wish to download from. If the library in your town does not offer ebooks, check if they have a reciprocal agreement with nearby towns that offer ebooks. I believe NYPL used to offer a card for non-residents for $100 but do not know if that is still available.

Your Nook will read Adobe DRM ePubs and PDFs from any Overdrive library. You will also need to download and register an account through Adobe Digital Editions.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Just a clarification for the Original Poster, you will need a valid library card for any public library you wish to download from. If the library in your town does not offer ebooks, check if they have a reciprocal agreement with nearby towns that offer ebooks. I believe NYPL used to offer a card for non-residents for $100 but do not know if that is still available.

Your Nook will read Adobe DRM ePubs and PDFs from any Overdrive library. You will also need to download and register an account through Adobe Digital Editions.
Its not. Here is our wiki link .........

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
sanluise
sanluise began at the beginning.

how can I download epub books to Nook directly?

I just spent time with our local librarian to try downloading books on my Nook (have both Nook 1st and Nook color). He says that the only way to download to my nook is by downloading book to my computer, then dragging it to my nook. The Adobe Digital Edition does not see my nook so am not able to do that even. Is there any direct way of downloading library ebooks directly to the Nook?
sanluise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluise View Post
The Adobe Digital Edition does not see my nook so am not able to do that even. Is there any direct way of downloading library ebooks directly to the Nook?
That's odd. Does your computer recognize the Nook?
The books need to go through Adobe because that is when they get they timestamp and DRM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluise View Post
I just spent time with our local librarian to try downloading books on my Nook (have both Nook 1st and Nook color). He says that the only way to download to my nook is by downloading book to my computer, then dragging it to my nook. The Adobe Digital Edition does not see my nook so am not able to do that even. Is there any direct way of downloading library ebooks directly to the Nook?
ADE not seeing the Nook is a well known problem, with a simple solution.
Delete the Adobe folders on your Nook (1 or 2) than connect the Nook again to your PC running ADE. ADE will ask you to authorize your Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
sanluise
sanluise began at the beginning.

Your recommendation helped. My computer finally recognized my Nook when I connected the nook first. Thank you.
sanluise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library