Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Can you give/sell an ebook reader legally with books

I am considering replacing my Sony PRS - 600 and while I may keep it I will probably give it to another family member or sell it.

If I have purchased ADE books and have read them can I remove them from my computer and leave them on the ereader legally?

Morally and ethically I do not see it as different than lending someone my ebook reader but my viewpoint may be wrong.

I would not be looking to make a profit on the books themselves, but it would make for an added value gift or probably result in a quicker sale.

I live in Canada so no one is likely to take me to court as the laws are not clearly defined but I would like to know anyway.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
IANAL so I will eschew the legal aspect but since you wouldn't be keeping any copies of the books anywhere, I see no problems ethically. Ethically, I see no problem making a profit on them either; it would be the same as selling a used p-book.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I would think the bigger issue would be that whomever received the reader would be unable to buy any DRM'd books until they registered the device with ADE at which point the books that were already there would be unreadable.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would think the bigger issue would be that whomever received the reader would be unable to buy any DRM'd books until they registered the device with ADE at which point the books that were already there would be unreadable.
There you go, I didn't know that.
Would this apply to downloading library books as well?

If I forget my password and my computer dies and I have to reregister, what happens then? What if I have already deleted my original email account due to spam.

Sounds facetious but all these things have happened to me at the same time before. And I can never remember the identifying questions.

Thanks for bring up this point

Helen
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
As the two other comments noted, that most ADE-books are licenced to individuals with the option of having the books on more than one device or migrate to new devices. The books are assigned to you through your Adobe ID.

(This is the more common approach for DRM-restrictions, but there are others Nintendo for instance licences downloaded games on a per unit basis, with the unfortunate side-effect that if you break your console you need to have it repaired rather than just buying a new console and buying a new Wii or 3DS will be less desirable if this remains unresolved)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard

So there is no way myself and my significant other could buy books seperately but view them on the same device?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So there is no way myself and my significant other could buy books seperately but view them on the same device?
Depends on the book format and the device used.

If it is ADE books, you just need to register your books to the same Adobe account, regardless of who purchases them where...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interessting question. Apparently not:

On the computer however you can set up a different OS user account. So on your MacBook you could create an account for you, and authorize ADE in that account on your AdobeID, and this will not change/impact your wife's account which is authorized to her AdobeID.
Source: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2920847?tstart=0
But you can create two seperate accounts on a computer and have a different ID on both.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote