Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
apple sued over hot ipads

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...onditions.html

"Apple Inc., the world’s most valuable technology company, was sued over claims its iPad tablet overheats and fails to operate properly in warm conditions."

Pretty silly if you ask me. Sit out in the sun with anything and you're going to get warm, sit out there long enough and you will overheat too.

Have to love the American legal system...
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Pretty ridiculous but then people seem to sue over pretty stupid things.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you want to feel something hot, try using my netbook outside.... heck, try putting it on your lap for an extended time INSIDE!

I use my iPad outside quite a bit, and I really don't know what I would have to do, to make it burn me. I mean REALLY! From what I understand it shuts down when it starts to get warm anyway....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

my friend who recently purchased an ipad commented on how he was able to watch movies on it and it didn't get warm, unlike his laptop. indoors. in air conditioning.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
The iPad specs on the Apple site call for a maximum operating temperature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. That is exceeded for 4-5 months a year in Texas daytime (in the shade).
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
A copy of the Class Action Lawsuit can be found here: e-filing

What the plaintiffs are saying is that the device doesn't work as advertised: "Reading on iPad is just like reading a book" as Apple claims on their website
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
What a waste of time and money. I wonder if anyone has ever costed the drain on the US economy of these sorts of lawsuits.

[Worth noting that this is just a request for the court to grant class action status, it is not a class action suit yet]

Last edited by murraypaul; 07-28-2010 at 06:38 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The problem is that most politicians are lawyers, and the incessant lawsuits, however frivolous they are, constitute a major income stream for lawyers. That puts a real crimp in any hope of meaningful reform.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The lawsuit may not hinge on "device shuts down when it gets hot" but "buyers aren't warned that device won't work under many standard reading conditions"--like at the beach. And saying your device is "just like a book," and then not working in conditions where a lot of people reasonably want to read (poolside, at the beach, at a picnic table in direct sunlight) seems like grounds for a lawsuit.

While I understand that electronic devices don't work when they get too hot, and "too hot" can include temps that I'm comfortable in... the general non-geeky public may not know that. May believe that the iPad, a device of astounding technical achievement, has somehow overcome the overheating problems that have plagued laptops for years.

This could be avoided by putting a sticker on future iPad boxes: WARNING--Device shuts down in temperatures over 95F/35C. (Also, by not saying it acts "just" like any non-computer device.) However, they might lose sales to people who live in areas with hot summers, who have to think about how much time they spend outdoors, or in hot buildings, and whether they want an iPad that doesn't work in those conditions.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

or.. we could just kill all the laywers..
Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
The iPad specs on the Apple site call for a maximum operating temperature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. That is exceeded for 4-5 months a year in Texas daytime (in the shade).
Interesting-the Kindle has the same max. temp.

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The ads say it's "magical" too. So can I sue Apple because I tried to use it as a wand and it turns out not to be magical at all? It's a totally muggle device.

"Just like a book" -- it is not made of paper. So can I sue them for that?

If you don't like it, take it back.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

thanks lee. i needed that.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The ads say it's "magical" too. So can I sue Apple because I tried to use it as a wand and it turns out not to be magical at all? It's a totally muggle device.

"Just like a book" -- it is not made of paper. So can I sue them for that?

If you don't like it, take it back.

Lee
Before you sue, check whether there's an app for that.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
or.. we could just kill all the laywers..
You could get sued for that
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote