Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Definitely the "lack" of other features that appeals to me on my Kobo (which is all of two days old!) Found myself reading last night with fingers wandering to do other stuff because that is what all my other techno devices offer, then realised, woohoo, this is JUST about reading.
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Fools never differ ...

Hey - that's not nice ... especially comin' from a fellow Kobo owner ... (grin)

Clint
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #18
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... this is JUST about reading ...

EXACTLY. Every time I pick up my wife's Kindle 2, I have the urge to get on the 'Net and play around.

It is a different (dare I say, "calmer"?) experience firing up my Kobo.

Clint Bradford
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm not into the one-device-to-rule-them-all thing. I try not to use sporks, but when that's the only option, I'll make do. Otherwise, I'll use a spoon or I'll use a fork, whichever is best suited to the job at hand.

I'll pick up my Kobo when I would've reached for a book. I have a netbook and a desktop PC for the computer stuff.

Why hasn't the amphibious car/boat ever caught on? People keep making 'em, but they never make it because they're a mediocre car and a mediocre boat and not enough people want both in one vehicle. I'm not saying that that's what the iPad is, but that's what it is to me.

To each his own, of course!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... Why hasn't the amphibious car/boat ever caught on?

Here in the U.S., we're trying to get the populace-at-large "on board" with energy-efficient vehicles. But the "environmental" movement runs into obstacles at EVERY turn. Right now, there are legal suits pending against manufacturers of electric vehicles because the vehicles are TOO QUIET when they are in the city, and those who are not paying attention to their pedestrian ways might be run over by them ...

Don't mean to begin a political rant ... after all, it is MY country that is looking silly to the rest of the planet.

Clint Bradford
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #21
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Well coming from a unix background I really subscribe to the concept of a simple tool that does a single job well, rather than multiple jobs poorly. Once the various bugs are (hopefully) ironed out, the Kobo will represent a simple device that just reads books really well.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #22
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Szmuk View Post
Before I bought my iPad, I was considering buying a Kobo too. It's a decent device that does what is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. And it's relatively cheap. The iPad is much nicer and gives you so many more options and features, but you're right Clintbradford, sometimes all these features, whistles and bells, can drive a reader who only wants to relax and have a good read into an ADD kinda state of mind.

Still love my iPad though...
I have both an iPad and a Kobo. I bought the Kobo first but was lucky enough to get a iPad to use for free (I don't own it but I have it full time). They both have good and bad points. The screen on the iPad is beautiful and reading Winnie the Pooh to my kids is great (it looks just like the book). I also have access to Safari books online and if you read computer books through safari it is the only place to read them.

However, when I read for enjoyment I do it on the Kobo. I find the iPad too heavy and bright to read in bed (or for long periods). Even though I need a book light on the Kobo it is still more comfortable to read. My wife likes the iPad because the pages turn faster but I am used to the speed and I am doing more reading than I have done in years.

The other thing I dislike about the iPad is the reflection. If I wanted to look at myself I would find a mirror. The light and angle needs to be right or it can be unreadable.

One other thing is minor. Just because of the physical size the iPad is harder to carry around (even one room to another). My hand is big enough to hold the Kobo easily and I never feel like I am going to drop it. The iPad often feels like I don't have a good hold on it.

That being said, the iPad is fabulous for what it does. Apple did a great job on it. It has almost replaced my net book completely but I read on my Kobo...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Good writing! Tim.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"Right now, there are legal suits pending against manufacturers of electric vehicles because the vehicles are TOO QUIET when they are in the city, and those who are not paying attention to their pedestrian ways might be run over by them ..."

Yeah, and I hear worries about them concerning the blind community, too.

We get used to cars being noisy and now, by some bizarre logic, cars HAVE to be noisy. Car manufacturers are thinking about what kind of noise to BUILD IN, which just seems crazy to me in our sound-saturated cities.

For myself and my future electric car, I am debating between the sound of horse's hooves on cobblestones and that little twirdly noise the Jetsons' flying car made. Maybe both, and I could switch back and forth.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... the sound of horse's hooves on cobblestones ...

Ahhh, yes. Reminds me of my wife on her purebred Icelandic horse, and me with my burro.

By the way, you should ask me my burro's name.

I'll tell you ...

Edward R. Burro.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #26
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
You all seem to have forgotten that the kobo is indeed a multi-tasking device. There IS that poker easter egg after all.
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #27
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
Good writing! Tim.
Nearly as good as his coding of kobo drivers
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #28
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You're not alone... being just a reader and not having to charge often is one reason why I love my Sony 505. The Bluetooth book transfer I'm envious of. If Kobo would put out a newer version with 16 levels of gray, I might sell my 505 and get a Kobo!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... If Kobo would put out a newer version with 16 levels of gray, I might sell my 505 and get a Kobo!

I cannot imagine a more legible/readable screen for reading text than what I have with my Kobo. Why "sixteen levels of grey?" Tell me what I am missing ... (grin)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... If Kobo would put out a newer version with 16 levels of gray, I might sell my 505 and get a Kobo!

I cannot imagine a more legible/readable screen for reading text than what I have with my Kobo. Why "sixteen levels of grey?" Tell me what I am missing ... (grin)
You're missing 8 levels of gray. No big deal if there are no illustrations or you don't care about them.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, kobo