Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
geosar
geosar began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Hello from Arizona

I have been circling the ereader pool for awhile and thanks to the help from this forum got some good advice. I managed to find a new sony 505 at Target for $195 USD. I figured it was a decent price in case I was not thrilled. Bought it yesterday and like it so far. Not as many books available for free like stanza provides but the google books offer an interesting selection of old literature. The chase for the perfect book has been fun.
geosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You are going to be delighted with your Sony! Now look up at the top blue bar and click "ebooks." There's plenty of free downloads to keep you smiling for a long time to come.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
geosar

Thanks for the tip. You are right, someone went to a lot of trouble for us.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
jenpen
jenpen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi form the Islands and thank you for takeing the time
jenpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful! I picked up a second 505 over the weekend at Target as well (because it is still the best ebook reader out there for the price) but you beat my price by $45!

Welcome. Be sure and check out Project Guttenburg for free classics as well google books. There is a list of online sites on the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

Have fun!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
geosar

Thanks for the great welcome. I will get out of everyone's hair if I can find out how to transfer the ebooks from my computer to the ereader I just bought.

Thank you
Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You should be able to plug it in to your USB port and is the Gods are smiling on you, the memory and/or memory cards in the reader will show up as drives on your computer. You can drag and drop epub books there and they should show up on the 505 after you disconnect (and allow it to think about it a bit)

You'll probably want to install the Sony Library software (should be on a CD, but the online site may have updated software - http://ebookstore.sony.com/ it has a download link in the upper right.

With it you can purchase books from the Sony store.

Hope that is helpful.

Ask if you have further questions.

You may want to look at Calibre for managing your library as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!

I'll second the suggestion about using Calibre to manage your library
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
geosar

Got it. Works great. Thank you very much. What fun.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi geosar and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and really like it.

Also, be sure and check our Wiki for the list of libraries that lend out eBooks. You can see it here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Hi and welcome Geosar.

You got your reader at Target, eh? Well, Target over there is much more cutting edge than Target over here, that's for sure. I'm not sure that Target Australia is convinced paper books are worth selling, let alone e-readers.

Enjoy!

Paul
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
geosar

Target and Walmart and Best Buy all sell the Sony Ereaders. I discovered this by accident. Target had them hanging on the wall in the clearance section making room for the new 300 and 600(which are not in stock yet). Best buy has the new ones in stock and Walmart only sells the sony's via internet. I rarely shop at Target but while scoring my discounted 505 I found the store to be very nice.

Thank you again for everyone's help.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I think we should NOT tell Geosar to check out books from the Greater Phoenix Area Library, or Pima County Library, or Maricopa County.

That way, the books will all be there for me. Muhahahah

(Seriously, the Greater Phoenix Area Library has tons and tons of books. All for FREE)
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Welcome!

Welcome to MobileRead!

If you haven't checked out www.inkmesh.com yet, you should. It's a great search engine to find ebooks and I've downloaded tons of free ebooks. I too recently purchased a Sony 505 and have been finding plenty of epub and lrf files to download. No chance I will run out of reading material anytime soon!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #15
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I think we should NOT tell Geosar to check out books from the Greater Phoenix Area Library, or Pima County Library, or Maricopa County.

That way, the books will all be there for me. Muhahahah

(Seriously, the Greater Phoenix Area Library has tons and tons of books. All for FREE)
Greater Phoenix Area Library is OK. I think it's about on part with selection as the Navy Overdrive Library. I want to find a way to get access to the Manhattan and Seattle Overdrive libraries. They always seem to have what I'm looking for.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote