Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
Baffled with Handstory

I have HandStory on my Prism, but I have NO idea how to acquire or view items on my PDA. I am a former Avantgo subscriber. All I did there was point and click. Any help is appreciated. But PLEASE keep it simple
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
I'll explain the basics here, but strongly suggest you visit the HandStory site and read the User's Guide and tutorials there. You can get these by right-clicking on the HandStory icon in the system tray, then choose Help, then one of the options shown.

HandStory Clips
-------------------
The two easiest ways to get clips of sites is via HandStory's clip library or the user-supplied clips here in this forum.

To add a HandStory clip, right-click the systray icon, choose HandStory Clip Page, then browse and select clips there by clicking on the plus icon in each listings. The clip will download to your PC, and the options box will appear. Look at the User's Guide to fully understand all options, but for now, the "Update" option should be set to automatic if you want HandStory to create a clip each day.

In this forum you can find clips from users, and when you click on the attachment for the clip in the message, the same action will occur: the clip will download and the HandStory option box will open and you can set the options (mainly the Update option).

Each day when you boot your PC, HandStory will run all the clips that are tagged "automatic" and set them up for hotsync to your device. This happens only once per day (although a future release of HandStory will have more options on this feature), not each time you boot your PC. You can, however, through the system try icon, cause HandStory to rerun all the automatic (or all clips including manual set ones) at any time. Once HandStory finishes it's creation of the clips, sync your PDA and you'll have the files installed.

HandStory eBooks
-----------------------
Right-click the system tray icon, choose HandStory eBook Page, then browse and select any eBooks you want, clicking on the plus icon to load them for hotsyncing. eBooks are a one-time loaded file, so none of the manual/automatic setting is necessary.

HandStory On-the-fly Clipping
-------------------------------------
HandStory offers two other ways to get info from live Web sites. If you want to capture an image (like a road map from MapQuest) and put in on your PDA, right-click the mouse while the cursor is over the image and choose "Save to Palm" and set the options accordingly. This will capture the graphic and set it up for hotsyncing.

You can also grab any block of text and move it to your PDA by right-clicking the mouse over the highlighted text and choose "Clip to Palm", and of course, set any options shown. This will move the text over to HandStory on your PDA via hotsync.

You can grab an entire Web site by right-clicking, but this is a lot more involved and until you're familiar with the other methods, I'd stick to the preset clips on the HandStory site or here. There are also other threads that discuss how to create custom clips in this forum.

----------

That should get you started. If you have any questions on the above, please ask...but I do recommend diving in to the info on the HandStory site to get comfortable with all the features of HandStory.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
elveejay

Thank you for your response. There must be a conflict on my desktop between Internet Explorer and Mozilla. I have both because after I got Mozilla, I found I could not access some sites if I wasn't using IE. The HandStory icon you mentioned appears on the IE toolbar but not Mozilla. When I click on the HS icon (on IE), then Mozilla starts up. Not sure what to do about that.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally posted by elveejay
The HandStory icon you mentioned appears on the IE toolbar but not Mozilla. When I click on the HS icon (on IE), then Mozilla starts up. Not sure what to do about that.
Oops. That not the icon you need. The icon that appears on the IE bar is for doing fast Save-to-Palm. It's not the one that accesses all the other features I mentioned. You want the one that is in the system tray located on your Start bar on your Windows desktop. I have mine at the bottom of the screen and looks like this:

When you right-click your mouse over the one in the system tray, you'll see this:

Do you not have this icon in your system tray?

Cheers,
Gary
Old 04-12-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
elveejay

Yes I do and I've gotten a couple of clips now.
Advert
Old 04-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by elveejay
Yes I do and I've gotten a couple of clips now.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:53 AM   #7
elveejay

Thanks

I've been away and I don't think I thanked you for your response and great information. Thank you for your help. Regards