Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
iLiad OS : eBook formats and viewers?

One of the goals for iLiad OS is to add support for viewing any non-DRMed ebook or document file on the iLiad.

The iLiad currently has pretty good PDF and mobipocket support, and FBReader will add support for a whole slew of other formats.

My question for you is in two parts:
  1. What file formats do you think the iLiad should be able to open?
  2. What open-source programs exist that handle those file formats?
The idea is to try to make a small list of programs that can open a long list of file formats, then port those programs to the iLiad for inclusion in a future OS version.

Any ideas?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Oh -- yes, I know there's a permalink at the top of the forum titled "iLiad viewers and programs".

The point of this thread is to identify programs that SHOULD be running on the iLiad but aren't yet.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Microsoft lit would be nice and would cover another one of the popular ebook formats. On the mobipocket front it would be great if we could add some capability like font options, line spacing, justification etc.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
format___|_____viewer_____|____status
-----------|---------------------|----------------------------------------
djvu ____| _____djvulibre___|____require qt or qte
________|_____evince
epwing__|______ebview____|____compiled but not runnable
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
ne14st
ne14st began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
On mobipocket it would be great if it could read the metadata show covers etc Like the Cybook will this be possible?

Thanks
ne14st is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

One more thought would be secure epub. I'm wondering what Adobe's thoughts would be on that one.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
M@rcel
Connoisseur
M@rcel began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad
MS word .doc files. Just a reader (+ scribble?), not an entire wordprocessor.
M@rcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

With yesterday's announcement that the ereader format will be opened for other development and the plans for a linux version of the software it seems like this would be a logical addition and/or replacement format for mobipocket on the iliad.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
I would like better chm viewer, because FBreader has bug. It cant read big chm files.
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I think that adding mobi output and conversion to calibre, solves most of the file format problems.

By now, the only format which supports dictionary search is Mobipocket, so who (like me) reads books in a foreign language, will stick to it.

Or we can have iLiad read lrf files?
Calibre is open source, AFAIK...

I'd rather choose one single file format, with full support: use a library, browse covers, customize layout (font, justification, hypenation, etc...), bookmark, add notes/comments, full text search, cross-link between books, scribble (and mark / underline with straight lines), lookup word / phrases in dictionaries / Encyclopedias, save screenshots, etc...

And, of course, have calibre support it.

If I have a good converter on the desktop, I don't need a plethora of incomplete readers on the iLiad...

If somebody wants to start a project for one full featured reader for the iLiad, I can help, I think...
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Calibre requires python and pyqt. That will likely be very difficult to port to the iLiad (seeing as the're only one qt app now that works, and that was *very* hacky to compile).

If ereader comes out with an open source GTK linux app, it's very likely portable to the iLiad. We'll have to wait and see, but I agree it would be a nice addition.

I think the problem with large chm files on FBReader was an iLiad memory issue. Maybe we should add swap on the iLiad...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
xCHM seems better than FBreader in reading large chm file.
I can read 20mb chm file on iLiad with xCHM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a viewer that can handle: EPUB, LIT, MOBI, HTML. The rendering is done using the webkit engine, so it handles HTML+CSS+javascript perfectly.

At the moment it isn't optimized for small memory devices, but it should be a good place to start.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Whiskey
Whiskey began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
I wish that the iLiad could read the secure adobe (even connect to Adobe Digital Edition) files. As a student, I need to be able to reference page numbers (as if it was from the printed version). I know the issues of PDF files noted here, but I rather be able to cite sources and am anal about keeping the format the same as the original.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
On the mobipocket front it would be great if we could add some capability like font options, line spacing, justification etc.
I agree that those features would be really nice, but I don't think iRex released the code for the Mobipocket application on the iLiad, so modifications to it probably won't be possible. I could be wrong though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote