Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
[Old Thread] calibre portable edition

I find myself having to work on more than one system now, and when I travel I am on a different system then when I am at home. I tried putting the calibre database on my home network share, and using it via vpn but it's way too slow.

Now I am looking at Portable Apps, which you can run on a flash drive. Has anyone had any experience with these? I run firefox and it seems to be fine, but is there any way to get a Python app to run portable?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah just copy the installation directory onto your flash drive and on each new computer, all you have to do is edit the PATH variable to include the calibre directory. At least, I think it should work like that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a small network here (5 computers plus a SAN data store) and the database is very happy living on the SAN and accessed from the computers.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah the problem is when you have more than one system and you're in multiple locations. The other problem is when you have multiple platforms. I think I will try to install the Mac and Windows versions onto the Flash drive and then have them share a db file.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can put the db file onto the flash drive as well and at least on linux/OSX just create a symbolic link to it from ~/library1.db

On windows you'll have to remember to copy the db file on and off the flash drive
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can put the db file onto the flash drive as well and at least on linux/OSX just create a symbolic link to it from ~/library1.db

On windows you'll have to remember to copy the db file on and off the flash drive
Can't I just change the settings to point to the specific drive letter? I just have to ensure that on whatever system I am, that I mount the flash as a specific letter.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah that would work as well, but it might cause some problems if you ever run calibre from the harddisk while the flash drive is not mounted or is mounted elsewhere
Old 05-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Yeah the problem is when you have more than one system and you're in multiple locations. The other problem is when you have multiple platforms. I think I will try to install the Mac and Windows versions onto the Flash drive and then have them share a db file.
Take a look at jungle disk. It is cross platform... it creates a drive in "the cloud" and you can access it from any machine. Of course, you are using amazon's S3 service and you have to pay $.15 per/GB per month stored there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru

Holy smokes I never thought of that, and I have a Jungledisk account for backups. I wonder how calibre would perform with a large database on the cloud? I'll give it a shot and see how it works!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru

Loading up a database from my jungle disk, where my sample db is about 94 MB, takes calibre about 45 seconds to load. That's not too bad. Let me do some imports and report some times.

I'm a 12 Mbs Comcast connection.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Yeah this doesn't really work that well. Jungledisk uses a caching system and if you watch the Jungledisk monitor you'll see that the software needs to upload the entire contents of the file to the server again, despite the fact that I have the Plus option to do incremental uploads. I was going to try doing some kind of ssh mount to my Dreamhost account but that looks dicey too. Perhaps a better solution would be to modify Calibre to work with a networked database instead.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should just be able to mount over a ssh connection. I've tried that and it works fine. On linux and os x use sshfs and on windows use sftpdrive
Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
astrodad
Guru

I tried the SSH bit with some weird results. I can get it to work, but it's dog slow. From Windows it's not too bad, but from the Mac, using MacFusion (on top of MacFuse and sshfs) it's really slow. But it does work. I wonder if it's dreamhost (my hosting provider).
Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Maybe sshfs is just slow on the mac. But it is true that sqlite was never designed for use on a network filesystem.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru

It's actually pretty useful on Windows, even though picture flow is useless now. On a Mac, it takes about twice as long to do anything. It's still worth it to me, though, considering how often I work with multiple systems. How much work would it be to use something like MySQL over SQLite?