Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #61
diimdeep
diimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmos

Device: PocketBook 840
review seems paid, its ridiculous

I've played a little with 840, it my first e-ink device, it's fine but not wow

poterm, pbterm works, coolreader not

image of root file system is here /boot/linux/cramfs.img
we can unpack files `cramfsck <image> -x <dir>` and read /etc/shadow
Hash of the root user $1$g9vDEStU$TQdryjnAMafrvsoXHQa9Z1 is the same as in previous models

under the hood:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A8
- http://linux-sunxi.org/Allwinner_SoC_Family

It's not clear it is A10s or A13

Code:
$ uname -a
	Linux pocketbook 3.0.8-hg+default-1fb3a4861a83 #1 PREEMPT Fri May 30 16:51:05 EEST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
	Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
	BogoMIPS	: 811.04
	Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
	CPU implementer	: 0x41
	CPU architecture: 7
	CPU variant	: 0x3
	CPU part	: 0xc08
	CPU revision	: 2

Hardware	: sun5i
	Revision	: a13b
	Serial		: 0402fc4f3131303050303858162542c1

$ lsmod
	8188eu 535326 0 - Live 0xbf1f5000
	epdc 78804 10 - Live 0xbf000000

$ busybox df -h
	Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
	/dev/root                13.5M     12.0M    857.0K  93% /
	none                     48.0M    264.0K     47.7M   1% /var
	/dev/mmcblk0p2           31.9M     13.1M     18.9M  41% /boot
	tmpfs                   235.7M      4.0K    235.7M   0% /var/dev/shm
	/dev/mmcblk0p8          169.4M    153.0M      7.9M  95% /ebrmain
	/dev/mmcblk0p9           94.9M     31.7M     58.2M  35% /mnt/secure
	/dev/loop0              168.7M    168.7M         0 100% /ebrmain/cramfs
	/dev/user_int             3.2G      1.8G      1.5G  54% /mnt/ext1

$ cat /proc/partitions
	major minor  #blocks  name

7        0      76772 loop0		/ebrmain/cramfs
	 179        0    3881984 mmcblk0
	 179        1    3377152 mmcblk0p1
	 179        2      32768 mmcblk0p2	/boot
	 179        3          1 mmcblk0p3
	 179        5      16384 mmcblk0p5
	 179        6      16384 mmcblk0p6
	 179        7      35328 mmcblk0p7
	 179        8     250368 mmcblk0p8	/ebrmain
	 179        9     100352 mmcblk0p9	/mnt/secure
	 179       10      16384 mmcblk0p10
diimdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #62
diimdeep
diimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmosdiimdeep has become one with the cosmos

Device: PocketBook 840
I would say that screen resolution is good but because contrast not good enough small font is hard to read.
diimdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #63
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
here is a video, also in russian: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24...%BE%D1%80_tech
now, I come and ask: one can add his own fonts?
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #64
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
now, I come and ask: one can add his own fonts?
Yes, according to page 74 of the user manual - found here:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/sup...ketbook-inkpad

Last edited by mvo; 08-30-2014 at 03:55 AM.
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #65
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
Wow, I read a bunch of reviews from Russia in regard to PB 840 from links posted here...It does not sound so good.....I have been pretty excited about upgrading from my PB Pro 902 to an Ink Pad, but now I am not so sure.

The Onyx BOOX M96 Universe is a bit more expensive, I may go that route instead.

Opinions, please?

Thx
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #66
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@GypsyJon: PB claims to have fixed screen/contrast issues with the european batch, and first impression in Germany was quite positive http://www.lesen.net/ereader/pocketb...t-video-14454/

More detailed reviews should be coming within the month, so I'll just wait and see how it turns out.

The M96 is completely out of the picture for me, but everyone has different requirements.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #67
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Rumours are that the 840 sold in Russia has poor contrast because of the capacitive layer on the screen. Pocketbook is getting new displays with a hopefully better capacitive layer produced, and is delaying the launch in other markets until they are ready. So, I wouldn't write off the Pocketbook device yet. Onyx will also be releasing a similar model at about the same time (also delayed, most likely because of the same display issues). So, if you wait until then, you'll have your choice of the Pocketbook Inkview or Onyx Android device.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #68
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@GypsyJon: PB claims to have fixed screen/contrast issues with the european batch, and first impression in Germany was quite positive http://www.lesen.net/ereader/pocketb...t-video-14454/
Thank you for the link - those early Russian reviews had put me off a little... I
Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #69
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
Got an Onyx M96. Sent it back. Screen no better than my PB Pro 902.
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #70
mvo
Connoisseur

A bit more news...

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...ptember-least/
Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #71
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

anyone has news about the re-release?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #72
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just in time before Christmas (but won't say which year).

Supposedly some pre-orders were supposed to be shipped around this week but ... *shrug*

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-23-2014 at 05:13 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #73
Rug
Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I'm about to receive mine tomorrow (France) I'll keep you posted about it !
Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #74
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rug View Post
Please do!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #75
mvo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rug View Post
I am also looking forward to your impressions... Did you order from this site?

http://boutique.pocketbook.fr/index....duct&id_lang=3

M